Calvin19

Soylent food replacement.

piisfish

I get the Soylent Green jokes, and I love the movie.
What I don't get is "eating food replacement" on a regular basis.

It's my personal preference. I don't like cooking, but I like eating healthy. If I had a personal assistant that could cook me something healthy for every meal I would do that, but that would be a lot more expensive than this stuff. And I don't have many (or any at all) dishes and silverware to clean.

This is day 5. went out to lunch with my dad yesterday and ate regular food. Salad and sandwich.

The main ingredient according to their website is dried sunflower oil.

I am guessing that the ratio of omega 3 to 6's in that drink is probably pretty horrible, and that it is inflammatory.

If you are trying to save time and eat healthy without significant cost or meal prep what about smoothies with healthy greens, frozen fruit, chia seed meal for omega 3's and fiber, and some sort of a protein poweder.

It sounds like you could get most of the way to your goal, with a much higher quality end result.

I can't prove it, but my gut is that this stuff really can't be health for long term consumption where it makes up the majority of a diet.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

DougH

The main ingredient according to their website is dried sunflower oil.

I am guessing that the ratio of omega 3 to 6's in that drink is probably pretty horrible, and that it is inflammatory.

I don't know much about nutrition, but my trusted RN did not seem to think it was a problem. She may be wrong, of course.

If you are trying to save time and eat healthy without significant cost or meal prep what about smoothies with healthy greens, frozen fruit, chia seed meal for omega 3's and fiber, and some sort of a protein poweder.

That was my normal go-to. fruits, greens, yogurt, whey protein, etc.

It sounds like you could get most of the way to your goal, with a much higher quality end result.

I can't prove it, but my gut is that this stuff really can't be health for long term consumption where it makes up the majority of a diet.

May be true. The reading I have done on it seems to be more opinion than science and I would like more science.
My desired end result is pretty much the advertised use of Soylent.

I don't think you are going to find any direct evidence, here is my gut observations:

Main ingredient dried sunflower oil, these vegetable oils have poor omega 3 to 6 ratios, and evidence is increasing that these products have the unintended result of cardiovascular inflammation.

Main carbs in the form of maltodextrin, which is essentially processed corn product with a super high glecimic index. This stuff spikes your blood sugar, and is a cheap low quality carb with long shelf life. This is why you can store processed foods, and they are cheap.

Protein is in the form of soy and rice protein, not great long term protein sources. I don't know why they wouldn't have used a better dairy based protein product like whey protein or casein.

I congratulate the founders of this company, they are going to cash on big on this diet fad.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

quade

Could it be possible that any one source of food could be long term sustainable as a diet?

I'm not thinking it is.

Yeah, I have always been told that variety in diet is far better than always having the same intake.

I would love to only have to eat this one thing again, but it's not looking that way. I'm going to have to go back to cooking. :(

Join a Vegetable coop. Juice and smoothie whatever you get each week. Add peanut or almond or other but butter as desired. No thought required.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

quade

Could it be possible that any one source of food could be long term sustainable as a diet?

I'm not thinking it is.

as a nurse. I have had many patients who have lived for decades on different prepared eternal tube feeding formulas such as pediasure /ensure. peptomen. Osmolite etc
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Calvin19

***Could it be possible that any one source of food could be long term sustainable as a diet?

I'm not thinking it is.

Yeah, I have always been told that variety in diet is far better than always having the same intake.

I would love to only have to eat this one thing again, but it's not looking that way. I'm going to have to go back to cooking. :(

you could rub plant chlorophyll all over your skin and just absorb your nutrients from the sun. no more eating for you, more twinkies for the rest of us. works out for everyone.

Calvin19

***Could it be possible that any one source of food could be long term sustainable as a diet?

I'm not thinking it is.

get yourself a multicooker, there is an awesome canadian brand called Instant Pot. they are available on Amazon. perfect for so many things and you don't need to waste time by standing by the oven. toddler mom approved :D meat+onion+spices+ghee throw it into the multicooker, cover with washed rice, add some water and enjoy a proper healthy meal in 30 min.

you can also cook many batches of meat, steam some good old veggies, a bit of carbs (quinoa is fantastic just wash it well before cooking) then let it all cool, put in ziplock bags and freeze for entire week. viola. get out of the freezer, defrost and eat.
'Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?'
'That is the only time a man can be brave.'
George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

Suslique

get yourself a multicooker, there is an awesome canadian brand called Instant Pot. they are available on Amazon. perfect for so many things and you don't need to waste time by standing by the oven. toddler mom approved :D meat+onion+spices+ghee throw it into the multicooker, cover with washed rice, add some water and enjoy a proper healthy meal in 30 min.

you can also cook many batches of meat, steam some good old veggies, a bit of carbs (quinoa is fantastic just wash it well before cooking) then let it all cool, put in ziplock bags and freeze for entire week. viola. get out of the freezer, defrost and eat.

I got the Swiss version of that, it's called a Wife. She also cleans and does the laundry, and does a great job raising the kids B|
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

piisfish

I got the Swiss version of that, it's called a Wife. She also cleans and does the laundry, and does a great job raising the kids B|

:D:D I so wanted to write that right when the topic was started but resisted, I'm laughing out loud :D
'Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?'
'That is the only time a man can be brave.'
George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

Suslique

:D:D I so wanted to write that right when the topic was started but resisted, I'm laughing out loud :D

ME TOO !!!!

Honestly if you want a fast, easy, nutrient dense meal then take about 8-10 grams each of spirulina and chlorella. They are extremely nutrient dense and inexpensive. They contain more protein by weight(~60-70%) than a steak and it's more bio-available too. You can easily travel with them, they don't require refrigeration, can come in tablet for if you don't like the powdered drink.
This is the brand I take...
http://www.amazon.com/Foods-Organic-Spirulina-500mg-Tablets/dp/B0015VI2U8/ref=pd_sim_121_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=0MYMAGQQJV0ECQSAYWVG

Another product I have been using for a few years is Synchro Genesis. I put 2 TBS of hemp seed and a scoop of this in a mason jar with coconut water, shake it and enjoy. Great for travel too. It's way better for you than that Soylent stuff, which has little food actually in it! Synchro is organic and if you compare it's nutrient profile it's probably cheaper.
http://besynchro.com/pages/genesis

At one time I made a huge spreadsheet of many of the meal replacement products and all of their ingredients so I could compare... I'll see if I can find it.

JohnnyMarko

Spirulina is what I feed my cichlids...that is all

It's all energy!

I ran out of Soylent. I think I will buy another bunch of it soon though. I did not like the 100% Soylent intake, but I think I would do 2 of 3 meals a day of it.

-SPACE-