Calvin19

Soylent food replacement.

I never enjoyed food the way it seems most people enjoy food. I don't care about nice, expensive food from restaurants. I want to eat healthy, but I really don't enjoy cooking and preparing a healthy meal.
Last week I ordered a 7 day supply of Soylent. I'm 48 hours into a mostly Soylent diet.
This is NOT a "cleanse"(Don't get me started on how stupid those are), this is a food replacement regiment. The goal is not to ONLY eat this stuff, it's just a complete nutritional way to get energy and nutrition.

It tastes like pancake batter with a tiny hint of peanut butter. It's not something that I see myself craving, but after 5000 kcal and 2 days with it being 90% of my energy intake I find it pretty satisfying. It takes ~5 min to prepare a day's worth.

https://www.soylent.com

JWest

With a little research you can make the same thing for pennies.

I have no doubt.
But if I am buying all the ingredients (there are a lot) and mixing it, prep, etc, I might as well just eat regular food.

With this stuff it's just empty the bag into the pitcher, add some water, shake.

That's a day's worth of food/energy as well as vitamins,etc.

It costs <$300/month.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/17/5893221/soylent-survivor-one-month-living-on-lab-made-liquid-nourishment

I did not do much research before I bought it. Now I'm reading a lot of articles written by people who have lived or are living exclusively on Soylent. Not all reviews are positive, but none that I found are saying it's a 'bad' idea to only consume Soylent. Like I said, I don't plan on ONLY eating this stuff, it just means I don't have to spend time/money on buying a million ingredients and cooking them.

The biggest surprise is I have not been hungry, for anything. no cravings for a burger or juice or anything. I have to remember to eat(drink) it. It's been very positive so far. -I don't have to think about food-. Getting rid of sleep is next.

Calvin19

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/17/5893221/soylent-survivor-one-month-living-on-lab-made-liquid-nourishment

I did not do much research before I bought it. Now I'm reading a lot of articles written by people who have lived or are living exclusively on Soylent. Not all reviews are positive, but none that I found are saying it's a 'bad' idea to only consume Soylent. Like I said, I don't plan on ONLY eating this stuff, it just means I don't have to spend time/money on buying a million ingredients and cooking them.

The biggest surprise is I have not been hungry, for anything. no cravings for a burger or juice or anything. I have to remember to eat(drink) it. It's been very positive so far. -I don't have to think about food-. Getting rid of sleep is next.

A lot of the diet hype is total BS and some of that bleeds into those articles. As long as the body gets the required nutrients it basically doest matter where they came from. Simple thermodynamics can dismiss most diets.

Calvin19

I never enjoyed food the way it seems most people enjoy food. I don't care about nice, expensive food from restaurants. I want to eat healthy, but I really don't enjoy cooking and preparing a healthy meal.
Last week I ordered a 7 day supply of Soylent. I'm 48 hours into a mostly Soylent diet.
This is NOT a "cleanse"(Don't get me started on how stupid those are), this is a food replacement regiment. The goal is not to ONLY eat this stuff, it's just a complete nutritional way to get energy and nutrition.

It tastes like pancake batter with a tiny hint of peanut butter. It's not something that I see myself craving, but after 5000 kcal and 2 days with it being 90% of my energy intake I find it pretty satisfying. It takes ~5 min to prepare a day's worth.

What color is it?

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

i don't like the idea for myself but there's one moment that you might find interesting.

do you know that soy is a phytohormone? it mimics estrogen in the body. its a bad idea for anyone especially for males. especially if you drink it multiple times a day every day.

plus its not organic or non-gmo soy, so that is also not the best choice for constant consumption.
'Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?'
'That is the only time a man can be brave.'
George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

Suslique

i don't like the idea for myself but there's one moment that you might find interesting.

do you know that soy is a phytohormone? it mimics estrogen in the body. its a bad idea for anyone especially for males. especially if you drink it multiple times a day every day.

plus its not organic or non-gmo soy, so that is also not the best choice for constant consumption.

I don't think there is very much soy in it. My mom looked at it and said the soy content is negligible.
You're right though, too much soy as a constant main source of protein is bad. But the nutritionist in my life (My mom, a registered nurse) thinks it is not an issue for the small amount in this stuff.

markharju

***I never enjoyed food the way it seems most people enjoy food. I don't care about nice, expensive food from restaurants. I want to eat healthy, but I really don't enjoy cooking and preparing a healthy meal.

What color is it?

mh

tan/brown. Looks and tastes like pancake batter.

Calvin19

******I never enjoyed food the way it seems most people enjoy food. I don't care about nice, expensive food from restaurants. I want to eat healthy, but I really don't enjoy cooking and preparing a healthy meal.

What color is it?

mh

Did you intentionally crop the photo to have Mark's avatar in the photo? Cause that was cool.

Calvin19

I guess that would be almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea?

Share and enjoy!
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

Calvin19

***i don't like the idea for myself but there's one moment that you might find interesting.

I don't think there is very much soy in it. My mom looked at it and said the soy content is negligible.
You're right though, too much soy as a constant main source of protein is bad. But the nutritionist in my life (My mom, a registered nurse) thinks it is not an issue for the small amount in this stuff.

its cool to have a mom who can advise with nutrition.
you might want to ask her opinion about two other ingredients that caught my attention:

1. sucralose (check out the medical study over here http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24219506 )

2. vit D2 instead of D3. nothing too critical, its just not optimal. there might be a link between low levels of Vitamin D and prostate cancer. (good read about difference between D2 and D3 http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/589256_4 )

Suslique

2. vit D2 instead of D3. nothing too critical, its just not optimal. there might be a link between low levels of Vitamin D and prostate cancer. (good read about difference between D2 and D3 http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/589256_4 )

I wouldn't worry about the D, if you get sunlight. That said, I'm on D3 supplements for a few months, since my level was 1/3rd of what it should be.

The amount of iron, and the fact that it is consumed along with calcium in the Soylent, means that not much iron will be absorbed. Also, you really want more C (125mg) along with iron, if you are trying to optimize absorption, and not consume any dairy/calcium/coffee/tea within +/-2 hours of the iron. I sucked my iron levels to pretty much nil a few years ago, as a combined result of many blood donations and not eating much meat.

headoverheels

I wouldn't worry about the D, if you get sunlight. That said, I'm on D3 supplements for a few months, since my level was 1/3rd of what it should be.

The amount of iron, and the fact that it is consumed along with calcium in the Soylent, means that not much iron will be absorbed. Also, you really want more C (125mg) along with iron, if you are trying to optimize absorption, and not consume any dairy/calcium/coffee/tea within +/-2 hours of the iron. I sucked my iron levels to pretty much nil a few years ago, as a combined result of many blood donations and not eating much meat.

Agree. But nowadays people go crazy over sunscreens and don't get enough of vit D even in sunny weather. I personally don't use sunscreens at all. Yeah supplementing iron is difficult, I remember nothing worked after I had my son except red meat

JWest

A lot of the diet hype is total BS and some of that bleeds into those articles. As long as the body gets the required nutrients it basically doest matter where they came from. Simple thermodynamics can dismiss most diets.

Yep. 100% agree. Energy in=Energy out, any inequality there means you lose or gain weight.