NewGuy2005

Japan Travel Advice

I've always gotten very good travel advice here, so here I go again: One of my daughters is going to be going to Niigata, Japan for a language course this summer. Any pointers for a first time traveler to Japan?

She will have 3 weekends free, plus a week at the end of the class. Is there a rail pass she can buy that will allow unlimited travel?

NewGuy2005

I've always gotten very good travel advice here, so here I go again: One of my daughters is going to be going to Niigata, Japan for a language course this summer. Any pointers for a first time traveler to Japan?

She will have 3 weekends free, plus a week at the end of the class. Is there a rail pass she can buy that will allow unlimited travel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9-OWfS2Vy4 [url]http://jciv.iidj.net/map/
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

It's been a long time since I've been there, but from what I can recall you will at some point encounter something that claims to be a toilet which will make you go "What... the... hell?" Should you find yourself in this situation, it is best to simply back away slowly and do not under any circumstances make eye contact.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

NewGuy2005

Make sure she has a LOT of money.:D

Yes there is a rail pass. Tell her to take the trains every where. A bike if its short enough distance. Buses and taxis get stuck in the horrible traffic.
Osaka is a great week end place.
If she eats at the noodle shops its not expensive and the menus are pictures.
The Duncan Donuts there make their stuff in laird. Its great.
Take lots of pictures.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

Oh yeah and if the train in Japan is scheduled for 3:16 don't get on the one at 3:14. The trains there run EXACTLY on time.
Don't eat japanese gum, not good. But take american stuff to give people as presents.
They use to be big on business cards in Japan. Might get some printed up to hand out.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

NewGuy2005

Thanks for all of the advice, everyone.

Question: Will she have any trouble using her old fashioned American Visa card that only has the magnetic strip and no RFID chip?

I realize this thread is a couple weeks old, but it's been awhile since I've been on... So it's new to me!

If she can find a place that takes card, a plain old magnetic strip is fine. Remarkably, credit card use is pretty limited. Also, she'll likely only be able to get money out at the post office (double topped capital T on a red sign); they give a good rate. Tell her not to be frustrated if the lawson's ATMs don't work. Also, the yen is down currently compared to USD, so it's not AS expensive as everyone makes it out to be, thankfully.

I hope she has a great time! :)

I've always respected the advice of Clark Howard for international travel.

If you don't see what you want, you go always go to one of his boards.

It's kind of like DZ.com, but with money nerds. (They never talk about wing loading. Ever.)
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.