CloudyHead

Accidental deployment during barrel roll in freefall?

I was just trying to picture this scenario. In the worst case, I can imagine someone doing multiple barrel rolls, maintaining rotational movement during accidental deployment and having the lines wrap around the body (oh please not the neck). Has something like this every happened? I would much rather see accidental deployment during a rotation of ANY OTHER AXIS because at least you wouldn't be "rolling yourself" through the lines so to speak.

In the best case scenario, i can see a deflated pilot chute whipping around WITH you as a tumbling ball of fabric until you quit rolling, at which point it would finally grab the air and inflate. In this case there are no lines to worry about (except maybe the bridal)..

Has anyone experienced this or seen it?

edit: mods, please move this to safety and training..

Haven't experienced or seen it. You'd think one would pop up in the Friday Freakout if it happened. I don't know all the Friday Freakouts, but I don't recall that one.

Most people I know who are doing barrel rolls just do it at the end of the freefall to clear their airspace. By that time all the other crap you were doing on your jump probably would have caused the accidental deploy already, if it was going to happen.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I can imagine someone doing multiple barrel rolls, maintaining rotational movement during accidental deployment and having the lines wrap around the body (oh please not the neck). Has something like this every happened?

It almost happened to me! On my jump # 32. I was planning to repeat the dive flow from my A license check dive, so back barrel rolls were included. At 8400 feet my PC come out of the pouch and initiated the deployment sequence. Luckily it happened before I got to my intended barrel rolls. Scary shit. I was jumping rental student gear on that jump. Once on the ground I realized that the BOC pouch was seriously worn out. This issue did not catch my attention prior to the jump. However, the idea of wrapping myself in a bridle (and possible consequences) would not leave my brain for many weeks. That incident got me started on learning about gear and "getting my own rig" projects real quick B|...

Be careful out there...
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Stephen Hawking

It happened to me.
I was practicing front loops, back loops, and barrel rolls.
The PC came out, wrapped around my lower leg, then stripped off my shoe and opened normally.
I saw the shoe go by me during deployment, and that was the last time I ever saw it.[:/]
That pair of shoes was only two weeks old.>:(

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

years ago Sparta Illinois .jumping a Northern Light rig with a belly band Cordura pouch with an elastic mouth. that was a little worn my bad. :$ deployment system. Flipped onto my back at break off. Flipped everyone the bird. Because of a 6 grand breakoff. half barrel rolled onto my belly. damn I'm glad I flipped the right direction.and risers! I tell everyone that's my one jump where I never pulled anything.:o

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

CloudyHead

alright, it is confirmed, the barrel roll is officially my least favorite move. i can't do it fluently anyway :P

if your gear is in good condition there will be no problem.
Freefly moves are far more aggressive and in tracking jumps we often run on our back the whole jump.
Just look after your gear and stopp worrying about "what ifs"
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Squeak

if your gear is in good condition there will be no problem.
Freefly moves are far more aggressive and in tracking jumps we often run on our back the whole jump.
Just look after your gear and stopp worrying about "what ifs"

What Squeak said right there. That's your answer. ;)

I was jumping camera wings...when I went to pull I came up on my knees for some reason...my right wing inverted so hard it broke the buckle...suddenly no right wing. I then rolled right into an unintentional barrel roll...because the left wing was still inflated. Still having the pilot chute in my right hand I rolled the bridle completely around me and the bridle was half hitched around my wrist.

It all happened in an instant...my first thought looking at the bridle half hitched around my wrist was...

"so this is how I'm gonna die".

I don't know where the video is but It shows my left hand sweep the bridle off my wrist then the opening shock from unrolling me is so violent that the video heads come off the tape(ya I know it was a while ago)so there is a few seconds of just blue...unrecorded tape...then the parachute just looks normal.

April fools day 1996 ? anyway they crashed the 182 10 minutes later and we were all drinking beer by 11:00am. nobody was hurt just collapsed the nose gear...bad day at the DZ or good depending on how you look at shit like that.

hangdiver

"Mans got to know his limitations"
Harry Callahan

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=323234;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;t=search_engine

Greg Hunter was a long time Perris jumper. He had "Hunter Helmets".
The speculation is that his size made it uncomfortable for him to get out of that aircraft with a student. They think he caught the drogue or a handle on a seat belt hardware and had a premature before exiting. Lots of tangled shit in freefall right out the door. Maybe a Hawaii jumper can chime in here, but that is "the word on the street" from when it happened.

Greg was a great guy and a heads up jumper. He was building a submarine at his place at the Perris ghetto. He was big into SCUBA.