Amazon

Boeing 787 Shows Off Practice Routine For Paris Air Show

ryoder

Around 0:40;
I want to see how they filmed that shot!:o

Off the top of my head I'd say Gyrocam on a helicopter. It's a dramatic shot, but nothing outside of the realm of what can be done normally for a helicopter shot.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/content/dam/lockheed/data/mfc/pc/gyrocam-systems/mfc-gs_15inch_pc.pdf
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Remster

***Around 0:40;

I would have liked to see the side view of that take off to see just how steep it was!

No shit!
The angle made it look like a (briefly) straight vertical climb, and I can't believe they have the thrust to do that.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

The angle made it look like a (briefly) straight vertical climb, and I can't believe they have the thrust to do that.

No cargo, no passengers, probably just enough fuel to be legal.

That said, ever fly out of Orange County Airport in SoCal? I think most people are shockingly surprised to find out just how steeply most commercial jetliners can climb if required.
quade -

quade

***The angle made it look like a (briefly) straight vertical climb, and I can't believe they have the thrust to do that.

That said, ever fly out of Orange County Airport in SoCal? I think most people are shockingly surprised to find out just how steeply most commercial jetliners can climb if required.

Noise Abatement Procedures?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

******The angle made it look like a (briefly) straight vertical climb, and I can't believe they have the thrust to do that.

Yes. Rather infamous ones too.
quade -

Yes.
Orange County allowed houses to be built all around the airport that was there long before the houses were. The wealthy people in Newport Beach don't like the noise. The departure procedure is max climb for a short while, then an abrupt pitch over and power cut to glide out over the ocean, then power comes back up and normal operations resume. The pilots used to use the briefing to let people know that the departure procedure is unusual, and not to worry. It has been quite a while since I have flown commercial out of John Wayne airport.

The wonderful people in Orange County, when they had a choice as to what to do with Marine Corps Air Station El Toro, decided to NOT use the existing airport facilities to replace John Wayne Airport. They decided to take those 4,682 acres of already developed land that had runways ready to go, and turn it into the Orange County Great Park. This decision has had a major impact on the passenger count at LAX as John Wayne can't support long haul aircraft with the current facilities and noise abatement procedures.

OC residents chose NOT to reuse existing facilities to service their travel needs, and instead chose to inflict those impacts on LA County and its residents. A $100.00 per seat additional airport facility fee for OC residents that fly out of LAX would be a fair way to mitigate the impact.

funjumper101

A $100.00 per seat additional airport facility fee for OC residents that fly out of LAX would be a fair way to mitigate the impact.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. What about those of us who disagreed with The Great Park and surrounding malfeasance and wanted the space to be used as an airport? Come on now. Not everybody wanted The Great Park, just the developers who knew they could get it eventually turned into more development and housing.

But anyway, we're getting off topic.

SNA has an awesome departure procedure that is about as close to a rocket launch and vomit-comet ride as the average passenger is going to get.
quade -

That's a good story, but that YouTube clips cuts off the ending. As he was walking out of the office, the Boeing head said to him something like "that was pretty cool though"
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

ryoder

******Around 0:40;

I would have liked to see the side view of that take off to see just how steep it was!

No shit!

Probably was the same takeoff profile as this one last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZRKm6PG918
Remster