Passenger885

Looking to buy a mirage

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to buy a mirage in the near future, but I'm not sure which model to purchase. I have been hearing mixed reviews from people at my home dz, so I thought a few more opinions wouldn't hurt. I'm torn between the G3 and the G4. With all of the options I would be putting on the G3 it would be around the same price as the G4 I was looking at. Any advice would be helpful! Thanks :)

I was in the same spot about a year ago. I've done about 300 dives on my G4 since then.

My next rig (early next year) will be a G3, mainly because the esalticated back support on the G4 makes fitting my wingsuit 5% harder.

I'm using an older G3 as a back to back rig - and I'm really happy with every aspect of both rigs, from build quality/time, design to customer service and support.

In the end it's your call. Personally I think the G3 looks better, but the G4 feels fantastic.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

When I was recently faced with the G3/G4 choice I asked around and the DZ to find out why everyone had a G3 and no one a G4 (we’re a big Mirage DZ). Everyone loved their G3s and when it came time to buy new gear they all tried a demo G4 and found it less comfortable and less attractive then the G3. Seeing no reason to mess with what works they’ve all stuck with the G3. I toyed around with the idea of being different and getting a G4 but decided the cheaper G3 suited my pocket book better.

In the end they're both great rigs and you won't go wrong with either. This is just one more situation where trying the gear as a demo first would help.

I'm pretty much at the same point you are... I was leaning towards a G4, but I might be retreating to the G3 since it really has everything I need and I don't think the extras the G4 have are necessary (or worth the extra price).

I think a G3 w/Unisys, stainless, FF PUD, mini-risers, soft res handle, etc will be more than enough AND have a great resale value down the road.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

I would have to agree with you guys in the aspect of the G3 looking better then the G4. One thing that still kind of turns me off to the G4 is the D-bag. I'm not a fan of the new design.***

I'm sure they can give you a different deployment bag, right?

Anyone have pix of the g3 and g4? I would like to see them both for comparison. Not buying a Mirage, just curious:)

-A

One thing that still kind of turns me off to the G4 is the D-bag. I'm not a fan of the new design.

What don't you like about it? I find it's increadibly easy to pack, and seems to work just as well as my more traditional 4 grommet bags.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Here's a picture for ya, ugly colors...but it's still a good pic.

The g4 looks more boxy than the g3, maybe. I think, if it were between the two for me, i'd probably go with the g3 because to me it looks better (between those two pix). I'm sure it's all personal preference, though... i'm sure there are some who like the look of g4 better (although maybe not in this thread).

Angela.

I bought the G3 over the G4 about six months ago. I didn't see the added value except I thought the molar reserve bag seemed like a good idea, but I'm not a rigger. I got SS, hip rings, freefly pud, freefly reserve, and cut-ins. I'd get the same again less the cut-ins.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

Man!, I think that the G4 is more of an acquired taste like whiskey, cigars...anyway...but you know that they are making now the G4.1 does anybody have pictures of it? everybody that has posted a picture hera has been of a G4, not a G4.1.

What's the difference as far as looks go...

Felipe
--
Blue Skies
NO FEARS, NO LIMITS, NO MONEY...
"A Subitánea et Improvísa Morte, Líbera nos, Domine."

My husband jumps a G3 and I jump a G4.

I love, love, love the bag. It's soooo easy to pack. ONCE YOU GET USED TO IT!

The G4 has extra super-sonic riser protection. Not like the G3 was lacking.:S

So. Personal preference is what it boils down to. I have sold equal numbers of both.

Here is my baby:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I'd get the same again less the cut-ins.

Why w/o the cut ins? What don't you like about them? Just curious.

I'm wide enough that I don't think they matter.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt