funks

Any truth to the rumor?

I have heard that larsen and brussgard will replace a protrack for free if you lose it while skydiving. Anybody know this to be true? Lost mine due to riser slap and would be more than happy to except a free replacement if that is the case.

so if they have been know to replace a lost one for free would you ask for a free one if you legitametly lost yours?

Naw, if I lost it, I lost it, I'd buy another one (a neptune this time around, actually). If I damaged it I would ask them what it takes to get it fixed, if it broke on its own accord I'd simply ask them about it and see what they did.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

so if they have been know to replace a lost one for free would you ask for a free one if you legitametly lost yours?

I'd ask for another one if I lost it because the included bracket is manufactured from a plastic that's too weak/brittle for the application. Otherwise I'd figure it was my fault for being stupid.

FWIW, the replacements I'm aware of all came from losses due to bracket breakage.

Given that the mounting bracket supplied with the unit is no good, they should replace it for free.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Given that the mounting bracket supplied with the unit is no good, they should replace it for free.

No they shouldn't. Well, they can if they want. Above and beyond is an option. Why should they have to eat the cost because some skydiver ignores the obvious danger of strapping a $290 device on the outside of a helmet?

The mounting bracket is not covered by their warranty. I would guess it breaks free for a reason.. Maybe they should make them stronger... I'm sure Darwin would love watching a riser snag one, cause a spinning malfunction, a broken neck or a jumper to get hanged by his/her helmet strap.

You took a risk putting it on the outside of the helmet. You pay for a reserve repack, you pay for a replacement cypress cutter. Pay for a new audible... and a new helmet with an inside pocket. Don't abuse nice companies.

They offered me a discount, which I really appreciated.

Here is an email I received from L&B...These guys are truly a topnotch company:)
Hello JW,

I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your Pro-Track.
There have been some incidents similar to yours where a riser strike has resulted in the loss of the audible.

We recommend jumpers to secure the audible in the bracket with a couple of rubber bands or a velcro strap. Rubber bands are included with all units as standard.

However, in your case, the rubber bands probably would not have been to much help. Riser strikes can be very forceful and there is not much we can do to prevent the loss of the unit in that case.

The best we can do in your case is offering you one new Pro-Track at a discounted price of US$ 200.00 including shipping.

Best regards,
Mads Larsen

I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your Pro-Track.
There have been some incidents similar to yours where a riser strike has resulted in the loss of the audible.

Of course, the bracket is a lousy design.

We recommend jumpers to secure the audible in the bracket with a couple of rubber bands or a velcro strap.

No mention of that in my owner's manual.

Rubber bands are included with all units as standard.

Maybe with newer units, not mine.

However, in your case, the rubber bands probably would not have been to much help. Riser strikes can be very forceful and there is not much we can do to prevent the loss of the unit in that case.

Then L&B should specifically advise us to not put it on the outside. What is the point in providing rubber bands?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

We used to just tape them to the outside with Gaffers tape. In fact it was standard for hundreds of skydivers for many years. My team mate created a little pocket by taping tape to itself and then Taped That to his helmet. He could easily take the audible out and put it back in.

Good brackets or even tape work just fine, so you're not screwed.

I had two replaced for FREE. I was very suprised, I asked them to give me a price for fixing thme before they started working an them. I paid I think $45 in shipping to Denmark. About 2 weeks later I received an email from L-B saying they would replace them for free, and thay paid the return shipping.
L-B rocks!

Actually it's worked well for me for 3000+ jumps. And for others for 100's of thousands of jumps.

I've read of many that have lost it from the factory supplied bracket by a riser slap, as did the author of the original post. Because of that, I never considered using it.