grimmie

Official 2014-2015 NHL thread!

Well my fellow puckers. It's time!

A few questions to start the season....
After SO much hockey in three years (including a few Olympians), will the LA Kings be burned out come playoff time?

Will Barry Trotz get the Caps dialed in?

Will the Pens flourish or flounder under the new regime?

Will the Canucks have a better season with Ryan Miller in goal and get to the playoffs?

Will Colorado thrive without Statsny?

Will the Blues have more firepower with him and go deep in the playoffs?

Will the Hawks get to the finals after doing a slow simmer about the conference final loss?

Will the Rangers make a run, or will Montreal or Tampa Bay fight it out in the East with the Pens?

Finals prediction...LA Kings vs Pittsburgh Penguins!

Good luck everyone!!!

A little something to get you in the mood...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJkHm2WtSsk

grimmie

Well my fellow puckers. It's time!

A few questions to start the season....
After SO much hockey in three years (including a few Olympians), will the LA Kings be burned out come playoff time?

Will Barry Trotz get the Caps dialed in?

Will the Pens flourish or flounder under the new regime?

Will the Canucks have a better season with Ryan Miller in goal and get to the playoffs?

Will Colorado thrive without Statsny?

Will the Blues have more firepower with him and go deep in the playoffs?

Will the Hawks get to the finals after doing a slow simmer about the conference final loss?

Will the Rangers make a run, or will Montreal or Tampa Bay fight it out in the East with the Pens?

Finals prediction...LA Kings vs Pittsburgh Penguins!

Good luck everyone!!!

A little something to get you in the mood...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJkHm2WtSsk

The Kings could be burned out by playoff time but i think last year's show proved the Kings have the endurance and fortitude.

Western Conf. Finals, Kings vs. Hawks....Kings in game 7
Finals. Kings vs. Pens...Kings in game 5

After SO much hockey in three years (including a few Olympians), will the LA Kings be burned out come playoff time? - no. They'll rest up during regular season just like the last three years and be fresh. GO KINGS GO!!

Will Barry Trotz get the Caps dialed in? - Trotz will light a fire. It won't be enough, though. Give him three years to do to the Caps what Quenneville did to the Hawks.

Will the Pens flourish or flounder under the new regime? - no. There still is a lack of depth on the forward lines. They'll be much like last year.

Will the Canucks have a better season with Ryan Miller in goal and get to the playoffs? - no. The Canucks are too aged and won't be able to rise in the stacked division.

Will Colorado thrive without Statsny? - they'll be fine. A bit too young to get too far, but they'll be up there. Central is the division to watch this year.

Will the Blues have more firepower with him and go deep in the playoffs? - they might. They've HAD the firepower, but got knocked off the last three years by the Kings, Hawks and Kings. They may take it this year.

Will the Hawks get to the finals after doing a slow simmer about the conference final loss? - Probably. If they stay healthy, they are the team to beat.

Will the Rangers make a run, or will Montreal or Tampa Bay fight it out in the East with the Pens? - Tampa Bay is my favorite from the east. It'd be great to see the Habs v. The Kings so that the Kings may get vengeance, though...

Finals prediction...LA Kings vs Pittsburgh Penguins! - my prediction is Lightning in the East. Either Kings, Blackhawks or Blues in the west.

But again, I think that Central is going to be absolutely sick this year. Chicago. Colorado. Dallas (really improved). St. Louis. Even Minnesota and Nashville (cannot discount Rinne turning hot). At least as good as Kings/Ducks/Sharks in Pacific...

Side note: I expect to see some big improvement from the Islanders. I think they'll make the playoffs. As for me for the east? I'll still say "Go Leafs." (Yeah, a longstanding Leafs supporter for no good reason...)

My wife is hotter than your wife.

You, sir, are biased and chauvinistic.

You NEVER mention the Red Wings in your annual season-opening monologues.

So, as much as I otherwise enjoy your opinions and writings, I hereby boycott this thread.

I will instead enjoy my OTHER team's glorious escapades on the gridiron.

On second thought........

I'll see ya tomorrow.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

SkyDekker

I'll still say "Go Leafs."

Good man!

Was listening to the Leafs feed on Sirius internet when my boy Kozy assisted on the first goal of the season. And the first NHL point of his career. Gave me chills after following that guy the last couple of years.

LA Kings defenseman Slava Voynov has been suspended indefinitely by the NHL after a domestic violence arrest. From the personal side, I'm pretty bothered. One of those things I don't want to believe, but this looks bad. Apparently the girlfriend went to the hospital and the hospital staff reported the domestic abuse and Slava got pinched.

And the Kings just cannot afford this in more ways than one. Slava is the No. 2 or 3 defenseman on the team. The other No. 1 or 2 (Muzzin) has been injured. Kings only have $500k of salary cap space, and Voynov is paid during the suspension, meaning no cap relief unless Bettman steps in and gives it.

The Kings now have 6 defensemen on the active roster, including rookies Bodnarchuk (who had like 5 games of NHL experience with the Bruins a few years ago) and McNabb (who has maybe 30 games NHL experience in last five years). And no cap space to bring up Schultz or Forbot.

Be real curious what Sutter and Lombardi will do.

lawrocket

LA Kings defenseman Slava Voynov has been suspended indefinitely by the NHL after a domestic violence arrest. From the personal side, I'm pretty bothered. One of those things I don't want to believe, but this looks bad. Apparently the girlfriend went to the hospital and the hospital staff reported the domestic abuse and Slava got pinched.

And the Kings just cannot afford this in more ways than one. Slava is the No. 2 or 3 defenseman on the team. The other No. 1 or 2 (Muzzin) has been injured. Kings only have $500k of salary cap space, and Voynov is paid during the suspension, meaning no cap relief unless Bettman steps in and gives it.

The Kings now have 6 defensemen on the active roster, including rookies Bodnarchuk (who had like 5 games of NHL experience with the Bruins a few years ago) and McNabb (who has maybe 30 games NHL experience in last five years). And no cap space to bring up Schultz or Forbot.

Be real curious what Sutter and Lombardi will do.

well,,looks like Kings won't be winning any trophies any time soon now. [:/]

While I definitely can not be confused as being a young'un, I am not old enough to remember seeing Gene Bellevue (LOL) play outside of a DVD video of a classic Stanley Cup finals Habs game I have from the 1950s. But Jean was larger than life for us Habs hockey fans growing up in Quebecistan, in the Dominion of Canuckistan. There is probably only other player from the Habs organization who rivaled Beliveau and that would be Maurice "The Rocket" Richard (another guy I never really got to see play the game).

RIP Jean

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

No complaints. The Habs (team I have been a fan of since the early 70s) are tied for first place in the East well on their way to a decent playoff seed. Biggest surprise? The play of the Cowtown Flames when compared to their inter provincial rivals Edmonchuck. Of course the Flames still have a tough road ahead to ensure they make the playoffs. But the fact that the are in the hunt still is encouraging for them. Of course if they get too good, I might have to begin cheering against them again. But they are not there yet. LOL

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I've grown to really like San Jose since moving to the bay area a decade ago but on average they're not looking as good as last year. Many new players this year so they are still working things out I guess, but their 3rd line seems to be showing some promise. At least they aren't getting my hopes up as high as they usually do before they choke in the playoffs again. Still, I hope they at least sneak into the first round. Playoff games are FUN to attend

Hmm, 5pm pacific now, guess I'll go & see if they can actually do anything against the jets..

[Reply]Biggest surprise? The play of the Cowtown Flames when compared to their inter provincial rivals Edmonchuck.

I'd say Calgary is my biggest surprise. That Edmonton and Buffalo would suck was known. Even preseason injuries pretty much guaranteed Carolina with a rough year. I keep waiting for Calgary to crash and it hasn't. Right now they are 2 points back of LA, SJ and Vancouver (quite the Pacific battle!). The Ducks are on their way to President's trophy and the Oiler are sucking for McDavid.

Other surprises: I didn't think Nashville would be this good. I thought Dallas and the Avs would be better. What is with the Stars?

And congrats to Canadian juniors.

grimmie

Mid season. How do you like your team's performances so far?

Who's the biggest surprise of the season as a player and a team?

My Tampa Boys are doing pleasantly well ... :-)

Just had a solid defenseman (Gudas) sidelined with knee surgery, but if we can keep Bishop healthy and keep the mumps away, we look to be in good shape!

*fingers crossed*
You may never get rid of the butterflies, but you can teach them to fly in formation.

aphid

***The finals of the World Jrs was pretty crazy fun! Congrats Canada.

Agreed. Domi looked incredible. BUT.... how do go from a lead of 5-1, and close out with a squeaker at 5-4?

It's easy and you let up. Then the wave comes crashing down on your team and it's hard to keep it going.