grue

Hot dog buns - toasted, steamed, or neither?

Plochman's is OK. ...just no Heinz. Heinz is OK for burgers, sometimes.
I usually specify French's because that is mandatory for a proper Ybor City Cuban sandwich ...sour pickle, too, ..not dill. Nowadays they make them any old way ...even in Ybor. I think there is now too much influence from the fake Cuban sandwich schemes coming up from Miami. Also, even some of the Ybor City shops are making sandwiches to please outsiders and really are forgetting how to make an authentic one.

muff528

Plochman's is OK. ...just no Heinz. Heinz is OK for burgers, sometimes.
I usually specify French's because that is mandatory for a proper Ybor City Cuban sandwich ...sour pickle, too, ..not dill. Nowadays they make them any old way ...even in Ybor. I think there is now too much influence from the fake Cuban sandwich schemes coming up from Miami. Also, even some of the Ybor City shops are making sandwiches to please outsiders and really are forgetting how to make an authentic one.

Aw man, I'm going to be road tripping from Naples to norcal and I just thought "YES I can get a RAD cuban sandwich for lunch" but mean leaving hours later than planned :(
cavete terrae.

grue

***Plochman's is OK. ...just no Heinz. Heinz is OK for burgers, sometimes.

Aw man, I'm going to be road tripping from Naples to norcal and I just thought "YES I can get a RAD cuban sandwich for lunch" but mean leaving hours later than planned :(

Recommend La Tropicana on 7th Ave in Ybor. (full disclosure: my aunt and uncle used to own the place.) Also you could try La Septima in Brandon ...excellent sandwich and other stuff, too.

muff528

******Plochman's is OK. ...just no Heinz. Heinz is OK for burgers, sometimes.

Recommend La Tropicana on 7th Ave in Ybor. (full disclosure: my aunt and uncle used to own the place.) Also you could try La Septima in Brandon ...excellent sandwich and other stuff, too.

Will they serve a cuban sandwich at breakfast time? :D
cavete terrae.

grue

Will they serve a cuban sandwich at breakfast time? :D

Good question. I don't know what time La Trop opens these days, or if they serve cubans for breakfast. Now that I think about it, it's been years since I've had a cuban at La Trop. I usually get palomilla breaded steak sandwich when I go there.

If you're taking I-75, a better bet may be La Septima. Only a couple miles off the Interstate in Brandon. I like their cubans, but some of their other offerings are outstanding and hard to resist. Yellow rice & chicken, i.e. Also, good palomilla. But, I think they only open for lunch and dinner.

Have a safe trip.