RMK

This is pretty sad...

RMK

Such precious little flowers.... sitting at their computers and tech.... never going outside to play in the 3D world..... get a few scrapes and bruises.. acquire some immunities to the itty bitty bad bugs that want to gnaw on them..... I fear for their future..... they are unprepared for the real world.

More like pathetic. I was racing motocross at 13. Took a lot of lumps and bruises. Loved it. Couldn't keep ME in the house. What is sad is this whole world nowadays. [:/]

I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

akarunway

More like pathetic. I was racing motocross at 13. Took a lot of lumps and bruises. Loved it. Couldn't keep ME in the house. What is sad is this whole world nowadays. [:/]

These things come in cycles. Their kids will be parquor champions.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

FlyingRhenquest

These things come in cycles. Their kids will be parquor champions.

Probably not. Parents these days who let kids play outside unchaperoned as we did in our formative elementary school years have Child Protective Services called on them.

Only kids living in areas with parkour gyms will be doing it.

FlyingRhenquest

***More like pathetic. I was racing motocross at 13. Took a lot of lumps and bruises. Loved it. Couldn't keep ME in the house. What is sad is this whole world nowadays. [:/]

These things come in cycles. Their kids will be parquor champions.Thanks. I learned a new word today. So. What did they call the obstacle course when I was in boot camp in 76'?

This is pretty sad...

Really?
I grew up as a suburban baby-boomer, so I learned to swim and ride a bike at a very young age, so that now they're both completely natural to me. But no, they're not intuitive abilities, they're skills that have to be learned, and before you learn them, you generally can't do them yet. I know a couple very active, athletic people who for whatever reason simply never learned to swim or ride a bike as kids; and as adults, they still can't do it. Doesn't mean they're pampered slugs, they just never learned those skills.

The folks in the article/video are overcoming their awkwardness and embarrassment to take the time to learn something new as adults, and even get videoed doing it. I think they deserve praise.

tred

this makes me feel the same as when I meet an adult who cant swim. maybe it is because I grew up in the water in florida but swimming seems like something you just do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IbStIb9XXw
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

RMK
They need to start on this bike. http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=backwards+bike+video&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=F706017762DDD03B719DF706017762DDD03B719D

My mother never learned to ride a bike. She only learned to swim because her college made all students learn to swim to graduate.

She was born in 1941, so pretty sure she wasn't a video-game addicted Millenial.

- Dan G

My daughter can ride a bike, but just barely. She loves to play video games. This week she is backpacking around Japan by herself. We are very proud of her.

A person is more than their ability to ride a bike. From what I've seen of "kids these days" I think they are better than we ever were.

What would previous generations say about us paying money to learn to ride a horse?

""After a few attempts as a 7-year-old, “I didn’t touch the cherry-red bike my parents bought me,” said Terrence Hazelwood-Carter. Instead, he spent his summers in New York watching TV and playing Nintendo. The result: “I have almost an encyclopedic recollection of sitcoms” that’s handy for trivia games, says the business student. " "

He's now 37.

The pathetic part of this is that the parents let the little pantywaist wimp whiner crybaby get away with quitting.
I wouldn't call that parenting.