JohnMitchell

The Dunning-Kruger Effect

How many of you have read the article on this in July's Parachutist? I first heard of this effect maybe 3 years ago and it answered so many frustrating questions I had had in 3 decades of working for the FAA ("Why doesn't that person realize they SUCK at their job??") :S:D

And, like the article asks, can you remember back to when "you didn't know what you didn't know"? And aren't you glad you made it thru that phase? :D

Of course, Wikipedia has a good article on it too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

It all takes me back to one of my favorite quotes of all time:

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. – Bertrand Russell

A good friend sent me a link to the original paper many years ago. I think it was shortly after the paper had been published. It explains sooo much about the idiocy I suffered through too many years in the corporate world.:S

ETA: I just found my copy of the paper, dated 1999.

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I commented on it here in 2011 under the subject line Risk Management and Patty Wagstaff. I would create a clicky to take you there quickly, but I didn't know how to make one then and still haven't learned. :)
Very interesting stuff and as you point out, it answers a lot of questions. Which is very helpful to me these days because....I used to have a lot of answers and now all I have is questions. ;)

Nice quote, I think I'll hang on to that one.

So, if I'm in over my head - I can hope there's a clear-head guy who'll prove that to me. Good.

It is far more difficult proving to a really skilled jumper that they're overestimating their student.
Especially when you're a student in question.
Just by trying - you diminish yourself (in their minds).

format

It is far more difficult proving to a really skilled jumper that they're overestimating their student.
Especially when you're a student in question.
Just by trying - you diminish yourself (in their minds).

I think what you're trying to say is that a good jumper may overestimate the skills of over jumpers. I think I've done that when organizing skydives. :S:D

As far as working with students or coaching, I plan for the best but I'm ready for the worst. I often "rewrite the game plan" while in freefall.