Amazon

New Horizons - Pluto - 14 July 2015

kenthediver

ummmm, no, Pluto is beyond Neptune, and was - until reclassified, the furthest of the 9 planets in our solar system...The order of the planets is -
Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn. Uranus, Neptune and then the reclassified Pluto!

Yes, but Pluto's orbit is elliptical, which sometimes puts it inside of Neptune's orbit, leaving Neptune as the furthest planet from the sun when it does
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Yeah it is now.... but I've always wondered why, after billions of years, Neptune and Pluto have never collided? That would be a helluva show in the sky... :D

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

I've always wondered why, after billions of years, Neptune and Pluto have never collided?

Because they're locked into a 3:2 cycle with a libration that ensures they will never come within 18 AU of each other.
Yeah, I knew that off the top of my head. :)

BillyVance

Yeah it is now.... but I've always wondered why, after billions of years, Neptune and Pluto have never collided?

Maybe they're adhering to the 45-degree rule. :P

If they ever do collide, I guess we might have to reclassify Pluto again, as an asteroid field. I mean, look what the Death Star did to Alderaan. :|

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/pluto-is-larger-than-thought-has-ice-cap-nasa-probe-reveals/ar-AAcVusP?ocid=ansSpace11

Pluto Is Larger Than Thought, Has Ice Cap, NASA Probe Reveals

New Horizons' latest views of Pluto have shown the dwarf planet to be 1,473 miles (2,370 kilometers) across, making it the largest body in the icy Kuiper Belt at the edge of the solar system. The observations also confirmed the presence of a polar ice cap on Pluto, and measured three of the dwarf planet's moons

Bigger than Eris after all

MikeJD

***Yeah it is now.... but I've always wondered why, after billions of years, Neptune and Pluto have never collided?

Maybe they're adhering to the 45-degree rule. :P

Big sky theory, bigger space theory.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

http://stubhillnews.com/2015/07/16/nasa-destroys-pluto/

Posted on July 16, 2015 by stubhillnews

In a press release today, NASA announced that broadcasts from the New Horizons spacecraft confirmed Pluto was successfully destroyed, marking the culmination of years of public and private planning.

The New Horizons space probe, mantle drill and space ordinance delivery system was the result of coordination between NASA, British Petroleum, Lockheed Martin and Disney.

“The mission was a success on all fronts,” said the NASA spokesman. “NASA got some gorgeous new pictures for our annual space calendar; BP and Lockheed Martin got to test the quintessential technologies necessary for future space wars; and Disney finally eliminated a celestial encroachment on their intellectual properties.”

NASA’s spokesman expressed regret that they were unable to send a secondary probe in order to capture the “totally awesome explosion.”