keithbar

climb rate

I'm curious what most of you peeps have for a rate of climb in a turbine caravan and also an otter I'll happily jump a piston engine. beaver ,182 ,whatever I've been jumping for decade's I never really paid much attention to climb rate to altitude. except that I know 7 minutes to 14,000 feet is not BS in Mullins King Air ;) but this weekend got me to thinking . and paying attention to my altimeter and watch. I'm just curious . is 3 minutes for a thousand feet not an unusually slow climb rate for a turbine caravan?
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

keithbar

I'm curious what most of you peeps have for a rate of climb in a turbine caravan and also an otter I'll happily jump a piston engine. beaver ,182 ,whatever I've been jumping for decade's I never really paid much attention to climb rate to altitude. except that I know 7 minutes to 14,000 feet is not BS in Mullins King Air ;) but this weekend got me to thinking . and paying attention to my altimeter and watch. I'm just curious . is 3 minutes for a thousand feet not an unusually slow climb rate for a turbine caravan?

Should be around 20 mins. to 13.5k
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

It's a blazing hot summer. I think planes take longer to climb in the heat, but 3 minutes per thousand feet does seem a bit slower than I'd expect.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Seems like we do about 100 feet every 5-6 seconds or neighborhood of 1000 feet per minute for most of the climb. It's a bit faster for the super king air and a bit slower for the slow otter. It's very, very slow going to 9K AGL in a Cessna 206b -- we're starting at 5K and going up from there, and some planes seem to struggle with it. Also depends on other traffic in the area.

I did actually measure the climb time in a hot air balloon, too, though I don't recall what it was. It was slow enough that I had to put my digital altimeter in manual mode. Its auto-zero mode didn't realize we'd taken off. Took us about 15-20 minutes to get to 4K-ish.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

keithbar

http://www.skydivespacecenter.com/aircraft.html
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

I kept times on 300 loads when we had a caravan last fall and spring. Times are tenths of minutes ie .37 is 22 seconds.

16.37 average takeoff to all jumpers exit.
4.19 average descent.
20.57 average takeoff to landing.
11.31 average number of jumpers
837.91 average climb rate. T/O to all jumpers exit.

And Billy yes it is hot. Density altitude last Sunday was 2300' and field elevation is 120'

is 3 minutes for a thousand feet not an unusually slow climb rate for a turbine caravan?

Sounds slow. That's about 330 fpm. Was in a Caravan in FL over the 4th (read hot and humid). We got ~900 - 1000 fpm for the first 4 - 5000 feet, then slowly deteriorated back to about 500 - 600 fpm above 10,000 ft.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

akarunway

***I'm curious what most of you peeps have for a rate of climb in a turbine caravan and also an otter I'll happily jump a piston engine. beaver ,182 ,whatever I've been jumping for decade's I never really paid much attention to climb rate to altitude. except that I know 7 minutes to 14,000 feet is not BS in Mullins King Air ;) but this weekend got me to thinking . and paying attention to my altimeter and watch. I'm just curious . is 3 minutes for a thousand feet not an unusually slow climb rate for a turbine caravan?

http://www.skydivespacecenter.com/aircraft.html

I did one jump several years ago in the Monterrey King Air and several more recently in the Lodi Super King Air before Bill Dause sold it somewhat recently. That Lodi one was a freakin rocket ship and just mows through the people (dives down crazy fast too). I was in it once with only 8 jumpers and got 3K / min....was sliding down the bench.

I discussed this subject with "Bruce the pilot" from Vernon last week. He detailed how air temperature limits the amount of power the PT6A-34 engine in their Kodiak can produce. Most turbine engines are limited by inlet temperature. The cooler the inlet temperature, the more horsepower they an produce.
Piston engines are limited by oil temperature.