RMK

new type of BASE jumping; WTF?

it's not so much a new thing, it's been around for quite a few years now. there's some cool footage of a bunch of Russians (I think) Vader would know. BASE jumping an old power station.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

This is what they were doing before they started base jumping. Freefall suspensions.
https://vimeo.com/44186519

I met Stas (the crazy russion with all the tattoos) in Thailand a couple years ago. They had yet to do a suspension base jump yet, and Stas was still pretty new to base jumping and skydiving.
I think he had about 30 skydives and 10 base jumps at the time :S He also had some crazy homemade russian base canopy. The canopy was some old nine cell skydiving canopy that they had cut the two end cells off of to make it a seven cell, then they put a couple of vents in it. It was fucking crazy for sure.
Anyway we hung out together in thailand for a few months with some other highly experienced jumpers and riggers who tok them under their wings and got him some better gear and helped him progress with his base jumping.

We spent a lot of time discussing the possibility of doing a suspension base jump and how it could even be pulled off. I think by the end of it we had concluded that the safest way to do it would be a direct bag off a bridge using a round canopy, with one of those lanyards that keep the risers together incase one disconnects (think these were common on belly mount reserves? if anyone know what I'm talking about) Then have another lanyard connected to a climbing harness as a back up in case one or all the hooks ripped out of the skin.

Anyway the russians just went out and did one off an antenna with a base canopy and the rest is history.

Crazy fucking Russians.

Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

Yeah the water in that part of Thailand is pretty septic. Just stay the fuck out of the water there.

I've quite a few scars from small wounds that got horribly infected in ton sai.
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)