Calvin19

Bored at the drone lab.

billvon

>What am I looking at?

Something to blow up batteries. (or at best trip their protection.)

Yep. Just making sure the breaker trips on our 3 pound lipos. :)

My evil new tool is in a sealed bag in a separate room after I left. Nobody has access to the lab but knowledgeable adults and I didn't even tell them where I put the device. I now have an intimate understanding of the paraphrase "Idle hands are the devil's handiwork".

gowlerk

I dare you.

After a year working with high power lipos I am genuinely nervous just holding this thing it or it being in my pocket. We have a dedicated blast wall and much more efficient ways of shorting our worn out big batteries:P. This thing you would have to plug in by hand. That would weld a thick rubber glove to a finger bone and remove the front of a persons face.

We actually did this with a contactor (think big high-current relay) and a single 30 Ah 15C LiPo cell from our hybrid racecar. It was very underwhelming: it started off at 800 amps, it heat up itself and the 0AWG wires, then inflated, de-laminating the layers, then the current dropped off quickly to 0. A bit of smoke but that's it.

What was a lot more impressive was poking one with a nail, we were glad that we did it in a blast shield. I highly recommend you do this at least once, I learned to respect these batteries and be more careful around them. Use a 5m long stick with a nail or screw at the end.

uer16

We actually did this with a contactor (think big high-current relay) and a single 30 Ah 15C LiPo cell from our hybrid racecar. It was very underwhelming: it started off at 800 amps, it heat up itself and the 0AWG wires, then inflated, de-laminating the layers, then the current dropped off quickly to 0. A bit of smoke but that's it.

What was a lot more impressive was poking one with a nail, we were glad that we did it in a blast shield. I highly recommend you do this at least once, I learned to respect these batteries and be more careful around them. Use a 5m long stick with a nail or screw at the end.

What do you think:

***We have a dedicated blast wall and much more efficient ways of shorting our worn out big batteriesTongue.

meantB|