Amazon

Thinning out the competition...

Rio is going to end up being a cluster fuck, and that's putting it mildly, IMO. Not just because of the bad water though.

They are woefully behind schedule on Olympic venue construction and infrastructure.

Then there's masses of the seedy element around the city. Yeah, I wouldn't want to be there.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Well, they have been trying to ameliorate the slum issue by (gasp) actually delivering city services like roads and water to them!:o

But the level of corruption there is such that after a lot of good intentions at the start, it's not ready. They did OK with World Cup, though, so it may be better than anticipated.

I remember swimming in Guanabara Bay in the early 1970's. That was before they invented terms :P

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

FWIW, I believe the Summer Olympic Games have gotten way too bloated with too many sports/events. Some have almost zero spectator appeal outside of the Olympics. Some have their own world competitions...

Soccer? Thats what they have the World Cup for. Kick that shit out of the Olympics. Handball? Equestrian events? Kayaking? Come on.... :S

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

FWIW, I believe the Summer Olympic Games have gotten way too bloated with too many sports/events. Some have almost zero spectator appeal outside of the Olympics. Some have their own world competitions...

Soccer? Thats what they have the World Cup for. Kick that shit out of the Olympics. Handball? Equestrian events? Kayaking? Come on.... :S

This one will have new events Power squirts for distance......and Hurling as a summer event

BillyVance

The whole idiotic idea that the Olympics must be moved to a different location every time, with the hosting city going billions of dollars into debt to build facilities that will be used a few weeks, then sit empty afterward, needs to be shitcanned.

1. Put the Olympics in one place, and keep them there!
2. Hold them annually, so more competitors have a chance to win an Olympic event.

I would suggest the summer games to Greece, for traditional reasons.
And the winter games could go to Switzerland or Austria.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

the oympic also generate billions for the hosting economy.
whether or not the Gov't breaks even the locals do well.

Also it never ceases to amaze me the ammount of people who sit back on the computers who have never attempted competing at anything close to an elite level criticising those who do.:S

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?