Amazon

Leprosy Lives .............................in Florida

Its not just something found in books

http://news.yahoo.com/whats-causing-floridas-leprosy-cases-122234102.html

Leprosy is often thought to be an ancient disease, but leprosy-causing bacteria continue to infect people in the southern United States, including in Florida, where nine people have been diagnosed with the disease so far this year

What's to blame? It could be the nine-banded armadillo (Dasypus novemcinctus) that roams wild across much of the Southeast, experts say.

Here in CO the rabbits spread tularemia.
This year the rates of human contraction are way up.
And I have about 6 damned rabbits hanging around the house.>:(

http://outbreaknewstoday.com/colorado-tularemia-5-cases-reported-in-weld-county-89951/

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

JohnMitchell

No kidding? And I thought this was a disease of the past. Hawaii is closing its Leprosy asylum even. Bad stuff. [:/]

The only patients who are left are those who chose to stay after it quit being a "prison" for them. Not too many left at this point, I would think. Less than ten.

Thank goodness for antibiotics. But like all other bacterial diseases, Hansen's is becoming resistant, too. [:/]
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

oldwomanc6

***No kidding? And I thought this was a disease of the past. Hawaii is closing its Leprosy asylum even. Bad stuff. [:/]

The only patients who are left are those who chose to stay after it quit being a "prison" for them. Not too many left at this point, I would think. Less than ten.

Thank goodness for antibiotics. But like all other bacterial diseases, Hansen's is becoming resistant, too. [:/]

Sounds like a very good reason to avoid the Armadildos

:o

:)

Years ago we sere installing signs at a new amusement park called "Splendid China". they had brought a bunch of Chinese workers over to build the buildings in authentic Chinese fashion.They all lived on site during construction.
One day as we are leaving the job site we saw a group of them tromping through the palmettos with big sticks. We finally figured out they were hunting armadillos to eat.:o
I hope none of them contracted leprosy.

You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

Rick

Years ago we sere installing signs at a new amusement park called "Splendid China". they had brought a bunch of Chinese workers over to build the buildings in authentic Chinese fashion.They all lived on site during construction.
One day as we are leaving the job site we saw a group of them tromping through the palmettos with big sticks. We finally figured out they were hunting armadillos to eat.:o
I hope none of them contracted leprosy.

Gramps hated the things... they kept burrowing under the slab foundation to his home south of Plant City....

hunting armadillos to eat

They're kind of greasy and stringy. I don't recommend highly. Ate some 'dillo BBQ once.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Amazon

hunting armadillos to eat

They're kind of greasy and stringy. I don't recommend highly. Ate some 'dillo BBQ once.

Wendy P.

Sounds like a Texas thang..... I mean cuisine:ph34r:

only in Texas.............and China :)
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

BillyVance

I see at least a dead armadillo on my road once a week, always with feet up in the air.

:D

Damn things always wait until the last millisecond before you hit them and then they jump up to the height that will do the most damage to your grill. :S

muff528

***I see at least a dead armadillo on my road once a week, always with feet up in the air.

Damn things always wait until the last millisecond before you hit them and then they jump up to the height that will do the most damage to your grill. :S

I once read a story about a guy doing 75mph in a 55 zone.
Rabbit ran out in the middle of the road and stopped.
As he approached, it jumped straight up.
Went through the grill, *and* completely through the radiator.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

:o At least a squirrel will run under your tires rather than jump. Mighty nice of them.

Several years ago I was driving home from Zhills on a dark winter night. South on 39. I had a 280zx at the time. So a low profile car. I saw a giant deer head appear in my windshield. It seemed like it was over the hood and right in my face. I instinctively ducked and heard a very loud thump. I pulled over in the dark and walked up and down the road looking for what had to be at least a very hurt deer. Then I looked the car over ...nothing. I drove down to Crystal Springs store and looked at the car again under the lights ...nothing. The next day, after a thorough examination, I noticed that the "anti-static" ball on the antenna was bent over about 45 degrees. I'm guessing that she jumped over the car and her hoof caught the retracted antenna on the left rear fender. No other damage considering how loud the noise was. Scared the hell out of me, though.

Back in 97' or 98' a friend of mine started working for skydive Las Vegas and I took his van down to him and his girlfriend a month after they moved - those long highways in Nevada are like death central, everything goes to the road to die. About 60miles from Vegas I got passed by a very large 4x4 with huge mudders, I could hear the tires before I could hear the engine and as he got in front of me a rabbit committed suicide by diving under one of the tires - those tires threw the carcass into the grill and blood sprayed over the entire front of the white van... and a rabbit has a surprising amount of blood in such a small body [:/] The grill was damaged but Luckily it didn't damage the radiator but boy did it look like a prop from Texas chainsaw massacre - and wipers don't work all that well on blood, and I had no wiper fluid...

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

D22369

Back in 97' or 98' a friend of mine started working for skydive Las Vegas and I took his van down to him and his girlfriend a month after they moved - those long highways in Nevada are like death central, everything goes to the road to die. About 60miles from Vegas I got passed by a very large 4x4 with huge mudders, I could hear the tires before I could hear the engine and as he got in front of me a rabbit committed suicide by diving under one of the tires - those tires threw the carcass into the grill and blood sprayed over the entire front of the white van... and a rabbit has a surprising amount of blood in such a small body [:/] The grill was damaged but Luckily it didn't damage the radiator but boy did it look like a prop from Texas chainsaw massacre - and wipers don't work all that well on blood, and I had no wiper fluid...

Roy

Back in the early 80's I had a VW Scirocco.... I was driving it cross country back to Florida for a visit... I took a route south to catch I-10 since it was December and I had no desire to drive cross country thru the snowy places....

The damn jack rabbits in West Texas were committing suicide on the air damn on the car.... they would sit on the side of the road... you could see em and as you approached just sitting there timing your approach...then they would bolt right out in front of the car.... the 4th one that hit... finally busted the air damn....

My buddy was driving his Wrangler from CO to IN, cruising along in the middle of the night, somewhere out in Nebraska. Suddenly he heard the "THUNK!" and saw a deer go flying up over the top of the Jeep.:o

It was dark, and off in the distance he saw a truck stop, so he kept on going, then pulled into the truck stop to survey the damage under their lights. To his relief there was very little damage other than a broken fog light. Apparently, the Jeeps heavy bumper had taken nearly all of the force, and just launched the deer over the top. Just then, an 18-wheeler pulled in behind him...

The trucker got out, swearing like hell, covered in blood and guts. Then my buddy noticed the truck's entire windshield was caved in, with a deer-sized hole in the middle.:o:S

The truck had been right behind him when the deer went over the top of his Wrangler.:D

ryoder

My buddy was driving his Wrangler from CO to IN, cruising along in the middle of the night, somewhere out in Nebraska. Suddenly he heard the "THUNK!" and saw a deer go flying up over the top of the Jeep.:o

It was dark, and off in the distance he saw a truck stop, so he kept on going, then pulled into the truck stop to survey the damage under their lights. To his relief there was very little damage other than a broken fog light. Apparently, the Jeeps heavy bumper had taken nearly all of the force, and just launched the deer over the top. Just then, an 18-wheeler pulled in behind him...

The trucker got out, swearing like hell, covered in blood and guts. Then my buddy noticed the truck's entire windshield was caved in, with a deer-sized hole in the middle.:o:S

The truck had been right behind him when the deer went over the top of his Wrangler.:D

And there's your lesson. DON'T tailgate!! :D:D:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

oldwomanc6

They can hurt you quickly, or kill you slowly.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/armadillo-shooting-texas

Right now, not seeing the value in a giant pill-bug. :D

That's it. Aim for its head. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban