kawisixer01

Windows 10: anyone done it?

My first computer was an IBM 8088, dual 5 1/4 floppy drives, 4.77 Mhz, no hard drive, running on MS DOS. I remember my copy of MS Word and all my files would all fit on a single 5 1/4 floppy.

I had a university mate (US) who bought a 286, as soon as they came out, with a 20MB HD. I remember him talking about this new computer company he bought it from called PC's Limited where you could spec your own computer; he said they were going to rock (this was 1986). He was correct - it became Dell Computer.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

RMK

My first computer was an IBM 8088, dual 5 1/4 floppy drives, 4.77 Mhz, no hard drive, running on MS DOS. I remember my copy of MS Word and all my files would all fit on a single 5 1/4 floppy.

I had a university mate (US) who bought a 286, as soon as they came out, with a 20MB HD. I remember him talking about this new computer company he bought it from called PC's Limited where you could spec your own computer; he said they were going to rock (this was 1986). He was correct - it became Dell Computer.

My brother knew Michael Dell. They shared a class or two at the University of Texas until he dropped out because his business was taking too much of his time and outgrowing his dorm room.

My brother stayed and got his degree, moved to California and helped start up two tech companies, becoming a millionaire in his own way, but nowhere near as successful as Michael though.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

My first computer was a Texas Instruments TI-99/4A with a cassette recorder as my storage device.

Not mine, but it looked like this

I picked it up when I was in school learning how to program computers. Did it help me? I guess so, sort of. I have been a professional software developer since December of 1984. Of course back then I didn't really know what I was doing. Far too many "goto's" in my Basic language spaghetti code applcations. But it didn't hurt having this computer.

I had a friend who had the Commodore 16 at the same time and my TI-99/4A was more advanced than his Commodore 16 was. But then he upgraded to a Commodore 64 and I learned how fast computers became obsolete. Of course it did not take long for my friend's Commodore 64 to become obsolete with the 8086/8088s then the 286s, then the 386s, so on and so forth.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

CanuckInUSA

My first computer was a Texas Instruments TI-99/4A with a cassette recorder as my storage device.

Not mine, but it looked like this

Me too. :)
Used Apple II's in school.

Got a Packard Bell 386/16 with 2 MB RAM and Windows 3.0 for college. It had some sort of HW issue so was replaced by the company with a 386/25 with Windows 3.1. Added 2 MB RAM shortly after and a SoundBlaster Pro sound card.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

normiss

Using an obsolete OS for storing any important data is a bad idea. It will look all good until it completely isn't - By then it's too late.

I liked XP. I now like Win 7 and have no need to move to win 10.

Wait, what?
:D:D

Win 7 isn't obsolete yet. It's still supported. :)
People might want to read this too:
"Windows 10 contains built-in targeted adware - how to turn it off"
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/30/windows-10-privacy-settings/

CSpenceFLY

I haven't had a single problem with my XP system since Microsucks stopped "supporting" it.

Same here. I write native code application software for Windows to go with my microcontroller products, and have yet to hear any complaints about any of it not working.

I have XP on my main desktop computer, which has everything and every application that I use for work and entertainment. I haven't had an OS issue for a very long time.

I actually still use CAD software written for DOS, and XP will run it. The later OS's will not. If I want to "upgrade" to CAD programs for later OS's it would cost me many thousands of dollars. (When you are in a CAD program window it doesn't matter if it is a Windows window or a DOS window. The program looks and works about the same!)

I know "Amazon" thinks we are crazy, but I like having things as simple as I can. I don't "need" what the later OS's have to offer.

A comment attributed to Albert Einstein is that "Everything should be as simple as it can, be but not simpler."

I have a laptop with Windows 7. It is OK too, but it is a distant secondary computer for me, used mainly while traveling.

As of late last night, I am now running Windows 10 on my 2 week old computer at home. The auto download process of the OS kept failing for whatever reason. So I manually downloaded it and even that took several attempts before all the necessary files could be properly downloaded and the upgrade launched. I had to laugh at one point last night attempting to download the files I received an errpr message from Microsoft mentioning "Something went wrong" and no other details. Huh? No shit something went wrong. That was my trigger to go do something else with my evening, Then a few hours later I returned to try again and that time it work. So far everything seems to work fine now that the OS is installed and running. But I am definitely acting as a guinea pig here being an early adopter.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

kawisixer01

I keep getting bugged by Microsoft to upgrade to 10 for free. Anyone done it? Pros/Cons? I'm just fine with 7....

I upgraded my Windows 7 VM to the 10 Beta a few months ago and have been running it fine. When the upgrade came out, I upgraded my 8.1 laptop to 10 and haven't had much issue with it. The only things I can think of off hand were oddities with drivers but nothing that a driver upgrade didn't take care of.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Well, apparently I'm going to do it.

My laptop chewed through a lot of data last weekend. I have a 10g plan, and I got the "75%" then "90%" then "over limit" texts within about 45 minutes. 2.5g in less than an hour.

Wasn't sure what was going on, so I shut everything down, went on different (free) wifi and monitored the usage, which was a bit high at first, then normal.

Called tech support for my carrier (Verizon) and found out that they have had a lot of this. Apparently, MS is sending out W10 updates without any warning. And it doesn't show up in the "downloads" so there's no indication that my 'puter did anything.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Russell_Jones

He got lazy. Should've paid more attention to what it indexes. ;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

wolfriverjoe

Well, apparently I'm going to do it.

My laptop chewed through a lot of data last weekend. I have a 10g plan, and I got the "75%" then "90%" then "over limit" texts within about 45 minutes. 2.5g in less than an hour.

Wasn't sure what was going on, so I shut everything down, went on different (free) wifi and monitored the usage, which was a bit high at first, then normal.

Called tech support for my carrier (Verizon) and found out that they have had a lot of this. Apparently, MS is sending out W10 updates without any warning. And it doesn't show up in the "downloads" so there's no indication that my 'puter did anything.

Yeah, that could be an issue for a lot of people. I think there may be a way to not download it, but I cannot remember off hand.