kawisixer01

Windows 10: anyone done it?

uer16

***... XP ... industrial control systems ...

Well there's your problem.

I don't know which would be worse, that or the ancient in-house UNIX system I ran across at one client's site. I forget what the manufacturer name was, but it wasn't any of the major brands -- not AIX, SGI, SCO, HPUX, Solaris or Linux, nor any hardware sold by any of those guys. Wasn't DGUX, either.

It was still UNIXy, so I could get around in it pretty well, but I bet those guys didn't (or perhaps, won't) have a fun migration path whenever they decide they need to upgrade their systems off 300 MhZ processors. I suppose they could side-grade all their hardware to Raspberry PIs and be maintainable for the indefinite future.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

kawisixer01

LOL I wish they would have kept patching XP. I've been through two industrial control systems migrations at two different employers in the last year, one being a major power provider to the national power grid. It was painful. >:(

Speaking someone who writes software for a living: if you let yourself get 14 years behind the current release, the upgrade is going to be painful. You need to change your procedures to accommodate a faster release schedule; that's just the way the world is going.

Microsoft are moving towards a new more-iterative release process for Windows 10. Which means you're much less likely to have huge big-bang upgrades, but you are more likely to see smaller breakages in your software on a more regular basis. On the plus side, when it's a Microsoft bug, they'll be able to fix it faster too.

I probably will, but I do not use it for anything important. I run a VmWare virtual windows 8.1 machine on my Mac just to run Quicken.

Also gives me a chance to test the shit and see it to decide whether I want to migrate at the office as well.

Windows 7 to 8 was pretty painful. 7 still at work and an old 2003 server, but plans to go to latest server releases this summer.

FlyingRhenquest

I don't know which would be worse, that or the ancient in-house UNIX system I ran across at one client's site. I forget what the manufacturer name was, but it wasn't any of the major brands -- not AIX, SGI, SCO, HPUX, Solaris or Linux, nor any hardware sold by any of those guys. Wasn't DGUX, either.

It was still UNIXy, so I could get around in it pretty well, but I bet those guys didn't (or perhaps, won't) have a fun migration path whenever they decide they need to upgrade their systems off 300 MhZ processors. I suppose they could side-grade all their hardware to Raspberry PIs and be maintainable for the indefinite future.

Ever encounter this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo/Domain

The idiots at Motorola Land Mobile Products had latched onto it before I started there in the mid-90's, and put *all* their s/w development on it. Then HP bought Apollo, and EOL'd it. When I started there, all new development was being done on Sun and HP, but there was tons of legacy crap still on "Domain OS".

Domain OS had no concept of security. When you logged in on one machine, you were effectively logged in on *all* of them, with all their filesystems appearing to be one unified file system. And to make it (supposedly) easier, there was an environment variable you could set to either "BSD4" or "SYSV" to make it (sort of) mimic Unix. But nothing ever worked like you would expect.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

CSpenceFLY

******... XP ... industrial control systems ...

I haven't had a single problem with my XP system since Microsucks stopped "supporting" it.

But from memory you have at least 2 huge vulnerabilities in your system as a result.

Using an obsolete OS for storing any important data is a bad idea. It will look all good until it completely isn't - By then it's too late.

I liked XP. I now like Win 7 and have no need to move to win 10.

If you domove, read this article about making sure your wireless password isn't sharing itself with your facebook friends and outlook contacts... social network integration can fuck right off.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/28/windows-10-wifi-sharing/#more-304239

CSpenceFLY

******... XP ... industrial control systems ...

I haven't had a single problem with my XP system since Microsucks stopped "supporting" it.

Sure.. maybe you should only jump rounds as well

Wait... what??? What the hell happened to Windows 9??? :|

Use 7 at home, and 8 at work. I upgraded to 8.1, but realized it caused issues we didn't want, so I went back to 8.

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

Use 7 at home, and 8 at work. I upgraded to 8.1, but realized it caused issues we didn't want, so I went back to 8.

I should add that after I reloaded the original 8, I kept getting notices to upgrade, and got sick of it always popping up. Some research online and I figured it out, went into the deep bowels of the settings and turned the fucking thing off. BOOM... no more pop-ups. I've worked in peace since.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Just wondering what version of Windows was the first one any of you had on your home computer? My first PC had Windows 3.1. I'd used Macs in college and had a Mac SE30 that I used at home until the early 90's.

I still have that bitch in the attic in its carrying case. :D

BillyVance

I was dogfooding and using Windows 9 for over a year... then the Windows group decided to rebrand......

BillyVance

Just wondering what version of Windows was the first one any of you had on your home computer? My first PC had Windows 3.1. I'd used Macs in college and had a Mac SE30 that I used at home until the early 90's.

Win 3.1????? DUUUUDE your just a newb........ I still have the 5.25" disk and the box that came with the mouse in it for Windows 1 stashed somewhere in my garage with all the other outdated stuff like Windows 286 and Windows 386

Amazon

***Just wondering what version of Windows was the first one any of you had on your home computer? My first PC had Windows 3.1. I'd used Macs in college and had a Mac SE30 that I used at home until the early 90's.

Win 3.1????? DUUUUDE your just a newb........ I still have the 5.25" disk and the box that came with the mouse in it for Windows 1 stashed somewhere in my garage with all the other outdated stuff like Windows 286 and Windows 386

My first computer was a Radio Shack TRS-80, which is still in my parents' basement. Can you beat that! :D

BillyVance

******Just wondering what version of Windows was the first one any of you had on your home computer? My first PC had Windows 3.1. I'd used Macs in college and had a Mac SE30 that I used at home until the early 90's.

My first computer was a Radio Shack TRS-80, which is still in my parents' basement. Can you beat that! :D

Try again... I started using computers in 1976 I bought my own Apple II in 1978 with a whopping 4k in the first bank of ram chips... no drive other than cassette loads... I still have several iterations of Apple IIs as well as about 20 MACs going back to my first 128k from early 1984. oh and they all work.. ;)

Amazon

*********Just wondering what version of Windows was the first one any of you had on your home computer? My first PC had Windows 3.1. I'd used Macs in college and had a Mac SE30 that I used at home until the early 90's.

Try again... I started using computers in 1976 I bought my own Apple II in 1978 with a whopping 4k in the first bank of ram chips... no drive other than cassette loads... I still have several iterations of Apple IIs as well as about 20 MACs going back to my first 128k from early 1984. oh and they all work.. ;)

Damn... You're old. :D

normiss

My first computer was a Sperry Univac AN/UYK-7(v).
B|
It was a 16bit system that faked a 32bit system by using "half words" which required a LOT of memory. LOL Toroidal core memory at that.
Sewn together by little old ladies.

:D

Dude... those teletype machines in the upper left.... :o:D

I've got one of those things in my garage. A little different though. It's about 3 feet tall and weighs a fucking ton it seems like. The early phone for the deaf. :S