strife

Malyasian Flight missing - MH370

quade

***Hell, maybe they dropped it to the deck and flew somewhere else. Not likely, but not outside of the realm of possibility either.

Yep, a number of possibilities and it's sort of pointless to speculate on anything right now without any evidence.

What annoys me are the people who are already jumping into the conspiracy theories that "the government" is covering this all up. Really? Which "the government" would that be and exactly how would that even be possible given all the various countries involved in the search?

They're all in it together. That's why it's a conspiracy!

*puts on tin foil hat.

LuckyMcSwervy

*********I'm struggling to wrap my head around this. Wherever it was, that plane was intact over the water. It's been almost three days and no debris has been found. Not even a seat cushion.

I'm just baffled.

Mighty big ocean...:|

Any number of possible scenarios at this point...

Maybe they tried to pull a Sully on the Hudson & it's a submarine now.

The right seater had 2000 hrs...that's rather low for a 777 on most airlines...they may be partying with Amelia.

Hell, maybe they dropped it to the deck and flew somewhere else. Not likely, but not outside of the realm of possibility either.

I'm wishing for that scenario but you know how some people are on commercial flights with their cell phones when you get below a certain altitude. It's a symphony of different call/text/message ringtones because people turn their cells off of airplane mode too early before getting the OK from the crew. Someone would've surely gotten a message out to someone, you know? [:/]

Not if they were all dead after the crew depressurised the cabin before descending, to ensure no resistance to his plan to steal the 3 tons of gold bullion in the hold.
cavete terrae.

quade

Yep, a number of possibilities and it's sort of pointless to speculate on anything right now without any evidence.

What annoys me are the people who are already jumping into the conspiracy theories that "the government" is covering this all up. Really? Which "the government" would that be and exactly how would that even be possible given all the various countries involved in the search?

Duh. It's the Illuminati.

They control all the governments.

There was probably someone on the plane who had information that was going to "break the story wide open" and THEY got rid of him (or her).

We really need a sarcasm font. :P
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

SkyDekker

oh absolutely....and depending on what happened, there might only be small parts to look for.

This is my thing. Small parts. If there were small parts, there's be thousands of them floating, which is easier to spot. It's what happened wit AF 447. They found the first pieces within three days. First bodies in five days.

They found the plane 2 miles down two years later. The Gulf of Thailand doesn't even hit 100 meters at its deepest. So it'll be a lot easier to spot and salvage.

So, yeah. This doesn't make sense to me. Disintegration doesn't make sense - I'd think we would have found a piece of it. No ELT going off? Lost the transponder.

I can't think of any explanation for it except for the idea that it did not break up at altitude. The lack of evidence suggests a failure mode leading to an intact aircraft in flight. I think that if the aircraft did disintegrate, it didn't do it where we'rE all looking.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

How does your Captain Mom deal with this kind of perplexing news? It must be somewhat unnerving not knowing if it's mechanical, airframe or the other nefarious suggestions that have been floating around.

It's about like skydiving...the news isn't usually representative of what it is - and everybody and their cousin has to call and tell us about what's on the news. - like we live in a cave. :ph34r:

Also like Skydiving - she knows the odds are it's human error, and like 'us' she'll analyze and make any adjustments necessary.

IF it's equipment failure - as with jumpers and a double malfunction - just chalk it up the the price we pay for playin' in the bigs. ;) ~ same with the terrorist angle - it's certainly a concern, but it is what it is, why lose sleep.

*ever notice how I never refer to her by name, on here or any social media? That's actually a recommended measure of protection many international bus drivers take pretty seriously. :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

How does your Captain Mom deal with this kind of perplexing news? It must be somewhat unnerving not knowing if it's mechanical, airframe or the other nefarious suggestions that have been floating around.

It's about like skydiving...the news isn't usually representative of what it is - and everybody and their cousin has to call and tell us about what's on the news. - like we live in a cave. :ph34r:

Also like Skydiving - she knows the odds are it's human error, and like 'us' she'll analyze and make any adjustments necessary.

IF it's equipment failure - as with jumpers and a double malfunction - just chalk it up the the price we pay for playin' in the bigs. ;) ~ same with the terrorist angle - it's certainly a concern, but it is what it is, why lose sleep.

*ever notice how I never refer to her by name, on here or any social media? That's actually a recommended measure of protection many international bus drivers take pretty seriously. :)

Thanks for that explanation. Makes perfect sense to me to compare the two outlooks. :)
I didn't know that about the big bus drivers, but I surely understand why. I like that you call her Captain Mom anyway. Makes it sound like you're her co-pilot. ;)
Always be kinder than you feel.

Hong Kong's Air Traffic Control Center reported on Mar 10th 2014 around 17:30L (09:30Z) that an airliner enroute on airway L642 reported via HF radio that they saw a large field of debris at position N9.72 E107.42 about 80nm southeast of Ho Chi Minh City, about 50nm off the south-eastern coast of Vietnam in the South China Sea and about 281nm northeast of the last known radar position.

Ships have been dispatched to the reported debris field.

Vietnam's Headquarters for the Search and Rescue operation of MH-370 confirmed receiving the report by Hong Kong's Air Traffic Control Center stating that a Hong Kong based airliner reported a large field of debris while enroute on airway L642.

A Thai cargo ship in the area was asked for assistance and has set course to the area but did not find anything unusual so far.

A second vessel asked for assistance did find some debris.

Following this finding Vietnam's Maritime Search and Rescue Services (MRCC) dispatched a ship to the debris field.

airtwardo

Greyhound now goes to Europe?;)
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

monkycndo

Greyhound now goes to Europe?;)

Whaddya mean NOW?

Haven't they ALWAYS?! :o

normiss

I was taught as a young boy that we refer to ships, aircraft, cars, etc as female so that we treat them with more respect.
Seems to work for some of us.
;)

I think it was this.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

normiss

I was taught as a young boy that we refer to ships, aircraft, cars, etc as female so that we treat them with more respect.

I always thought it was a little goofy that ships are referred to as she, but so many are named after males.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

normiss

That would be unpossible.

2 reasons:

1) I can't get to that site due to corporate web filters.

2) Dad never mentioned anything about god unless it was followed by dammit.

You can watch you tube?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

quade

***I was taught as a young boy that we refer to ships, aircraft, cars, etc as female so that we treat them with more respect.

I always thought it was a little goofy that ships are referred to as she, but so many are named after males.

In the case of USS J Edgar Hoover, I can see the quandary:ph34r::P.

My buddy is a 777 Captain, his theory is that it was probably a similar incident to this...

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/twa-flight-800-crash-bomb-missile-officials-article-1.1389008

This model of 777 had middle tanks fitted and though they were supposed to be removed...

This route is not long enough to warrant using the middle tanks so it is likely that there was a tank full of vapour just waiting for the right catylist...

Still, it is bizzarre that no pieces have been located...

Right now I'm thinking more and more of the possibility that someone turned off the transpoder and stopped communications and turned that bird someplace else. Middle of the night, when most passengers probably aren't too alert and won't notice or care about darkness. Cell phones useless because over water with no signal.

Anything is possible at this point. Thinnk of an Ethiopian Air 961 situation where the transponders are turned off, commo stops and eventual fuel exhaustion leads to a ditching in the middle of nowhere.

law rocket

... and eventual fuel exhaustion leads to a ditching in the middle of nowhere.

To what end? What would be the point of ditching? If it's terrorism, then you make a bigger statement by crashing into something. If it's mass murder, then you don't have to ditch. If it's a hostage situation, then at some point you show up with the passengers and make your demands.

I fail to see the point of simply ditching in a place where people can't find you.

As I've said before, there's a lot of possibilities and maybe in the mind of somebody it would make sense, but I fail to see a scenario where it does.

Now, real air piracy . . . taking over the plane with the idea of stealing it, land somewhere, take the valuables ala "Captain Phillips" . . . . to me that so far fits, but I'm not crazy enough to say that is THE reason at this point.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I don't know, Paul.

What I do know is that nothing can be ruled out. Who would have thought that Air France 447 crashed because the copilot stalled it 40k feet to the ocean? But that's exactly what happened.

What I am thinking is why a plane lost commo and cannot be found where it was last noticed. Meaning that the plane flew somewhere.

This is a head scratcher and it seems like any normal explanations are lacking.