strife

Malyasian Flight missing - MH370

yoink

***************I heard a rumor that an Arab guy named Occam was going to fly on this plane, but was a no-show at the last minute.

Yeah, he was in the restroom shaving.

I am beginning to think that perhaps the guys who are not big into shaving might just have flown this aircraft somewhere, the passengers unloaded and other goodies loaded back onto it.

I have a feeling this aircraft might just turn up somewhere that we do not like.

Interesting theory.

The fact that the engines ran for 4 more hours... that the transponder and other electronics went off at disparate times...

Not a fact at the moment.

Hearsay. Rumor. Possibilty.

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2014/03/13/what-does-a-turned-off-transponder-say-about-the-fate-of-flight-370/

ryoder

Boeing offers a satellite service that can receive a stream of data during flight on how the aircraft is functioning and relay the information to the plane's home base. The idea is to provide information before the plane lands on whether maintenance work or repairs are needed.

Malaysia Airlines didn't subscribe to that service, but the plane still had the capability to connect with the satellite and was automatically sending pings, the official said.

"It's like when your cellphone is off but it still sends out a little 'I'm here' message to the cellphone network," the official said. "That's how sometimes they can triangulate your position even though you're not calling because the phone every so often sends out a little bleep. That's sort of what this thing was doing."

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/missing-plane-sent-signals-satellite-hours-211405973--politics.html

What I find fascinating about this service is it doesn't include a location fix from an inexpensive, stand alone GPS chip such as;
http://www.gtop-tech.com/en/product/PA6H-GPS-Module/MT3339_GPS_Module_04.html#prettyPhoto

I would be surprised if shortly after this current event there isn't a push to add GPS data to the pings.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

***Boeing offers a satellite service that can receive a stream of data during flight on how the aircraft is functioning and relay the information to the plane's home base. The idea is to provide information before the plane lands on whether maintenance work or repairs are needed.

Malaysia Airlines didn't subscribe to that service, but the plane still had the capability to connect with the satellite and was automatically sending pings, the official said.

"It's like when your cellphone is off but it still sends out a little 'I'm here' message to the cellphone network," the official said. "That's how sometimes they can triangulate your position even though you're not calling because the phone every so often sends out a little bleep. That's sort of what this thing was doing."

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/missing-plane-sent-signals-satellite-hours-211405973--politics.html

What I find fascinating about this service is it doesn't include a location fix from an inexpensive, stand alone GPS chip such as;
http://www.gtop-tech.com/en/product/PA6H-GPS-Module/MT3339_GPS_Module_04.html#prettyPhoto

I would be surprised if shortly after this current event there isn't a push to add GPS data to the pings.

Now this article claims they *did* include location: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304185104579437573396580350
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

Now this article claims they *did* include location: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304185104579437573396580350

Well, that would make a bit more sense. The parts to do it and the data is cheap.

Assuming that part is true, which at this point would only be an assumption since so many of the revelations about this entire thing have been so screwed up by just about everyone.

Would give a new starting radius for the search, but still says almost nothing about motivations or causes.

Does anybody remember the golf pro whose small business jet depressurized and everybody on-board died, then it flew on auto-pilot of hours and hours until it ran out of fuel? Who was that? Name is escaping my memory tonight.

ETA! PAYNE STEWART

Ah yes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payne_Stewart#Death
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

grue

*********I heard a rumor that an Arab guy named Occam was going to fly on this plane, but was a no-show at the last minute.

Yeah, he was in the restroom shaving.

I am beginning to think that perhaps the guys who are not big into shaving might just have flown this aircraft somewhere, the passengers unloaded and other goodies loaded back onto it.

I have a feeling this aircraft might just turn up somewhere that we do not like.

Hasidic Jews, dreidels, and Quebec?

European girls under their arms.:|
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

rwieder

"Dave's not here."

No man, I'm Dave!!

Best-
Richard

You get that joke, but mine eluded you.B|
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

rwieder

Fling along singing a song, either a slow pressure loss in the cabin, and the pilots descending to a safe altitude to insure an altitude where there is oxgen. In an instant like this, the pilots and crew up front would have donned masks first b/f any one else, it would have been up to the planes sensors to drop masks f/ the passengers. Let's say for theories sake they were already hypoxic and were in no physical shape to don their oxgen masks. were the passengers alert enough to don their masks? Who knows? I am still of the belief there was a strategic plan by some one *cough* NK et:al stole the plane and BillVon is correct in making the remarks about where the plane could be.

If the crew was incapacitated, it wouldn't explain why the plane's last contact was level at FL390. If they had turned blue and gone to sleep, Atto would've kept them heading towards the destination.

So maybe there was a pressurization issue that went undetected, both pilots passed out and the plane broke up in flight... but that would be a long shot.

If they lost pressurization they would've donned masks and initiated an emergency descent to probably 10k-ish, but the radar would've shown that.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

rwieder wrote:
Quote:
"Dave's not here."
No man, I'm Dave!!

Best-
Richard

You get that joke, but mine eluded you. B|

DOH! B| I know it! Ah well, I guess I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to those sort of things. :S Sorry bout' that. I'll pay more attention from now on.

Best-
Richard

I wonder what the fuel load was at departure. If a full load and given the earlier report of a turn to the north west, I'd say she is sitting in a hanger in a country ending in 'stan'.

I can tell you from experience it was prolly loaded to the gills. They always fill the tanks on an E.R. type plane b/c it flys over large bodies of water for hours on end, and due to wx changing minute by minute and factoring in a "safety margin" I just bet they were full. I've flown O-Hare to London's Heathrow before, these people have designated take-off and landing hrs, sometimes we flew around in circles w/ other jets just to kill time before we were allowed to land, too much noise or some such is the explanation I was given...NO FUN! When I take off to go over seas, some times we're in the air for 10-11 hrs: GBIA-Schipol, Moscow, Japan or Bahrain Int'l for instance, over 3,500 miles. This is a possibility that could be very, very real. Al-Quiada has yet to avenge OBL, don't anyone lose sight of that as they do have a reputation for stealing planes that do not belong to them. And in their minds, we got it coming. I'll just bet our guys are watching every thing that moves, or don't move right now. We WILL find that missing plane, wrecked, stolen, high-jacked or what ever, we have to. :)
Best-
Richard

If it wasn't sudden...can't imagine that no pax attempted a phone call,,,,,just bizarre....:(

The phones can be deactivated in the cock pit. Supposedly to keep passengers from using them at inappropriate times such as take-off and landing. I've used my Verizon phone at an altitude of 45K once when flying home f/ Saudi over Iraq before, (really good view of Kuwait, and Iraq burning down to the ground!) and it worked...Once. But it never works over water.

Best-
Richard

quade

Again, I am simply fascinated by the apparent lack of imagination being displayed by some people because they've already latched onto a "theory" to fit their pre-existing narrative.

Keep an open mind folks. It really could be any one of a number of things and nothing can be ruled in or out at this time.

But also keep in mind that if someone finds it very odd that it turned back toward the west and flew over land that it was not picked up by someones radar, whether that be Malaysia or Thailand, that it means they think it couldn't happen or have a lack imagination. Much less that they latched onto some theory they wont let go of.

My comments toward you was more asking if you did't find it odd at all that it wasn't picked up, not so much that it couldn't happen. Most Captains and FO's with gobs of experience find it very odd but that does not mean they can not or are not thinking outside the box, whatever box that is. I get the impression that finding it odd to you means someone has a very simplistic approach to this and lack reasoning skills.

I mean this as no insult or argument. Just pointing out how some of your posts can be taken. Just because someone engages on one side of a debate does not mean that is the position they have taken or are closed minded to other possibilities if they have.
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

rwieder

I wonder what the fuel load was at departure. If a full load and given the earlier report of a turn to the north west, I'd say she is sitting in a hanger in a country ending in 'stan'.

I can tell you from experience it was prolly loaded to the gills. They always fill the tanks on an E.R. type plane b/c it flys over large bodies of water for hours on end, and due to wx changing minute by minute and factoring in a "safety margin" I just bet they were full. I've flown O-Hare to London's Heathrow before, these people have designated take-off and landing hrs, sometimes we flew around in circles w/ other jets just to kill time before we were allowed to land, too much noise or some such is the explanation I was given...NO FUN! When I take off to go over seas, some times we're in the air for 10-11 hrs: GBIA-Schipol, Moscow, Japan or Bahrain Int'l for instance, over 3,500 miles. This is a possibility that could be very, very real. Al-Quiada has yet to avenge OBL, don't anyone lose sight of that as they do have a reputation for stealing planes that do not belong to them. And in their minds, we got it coming. I'll just bet our guys are watching every thing that moves, or don't move right now. We WILL find that missing plane, wrecked, stolen, high-jacked or what ever, we have to. :)
Best-
Richard

I was on a cross country flight a couple of times a few weeks ago and the thought never crossed my mind of hijacking, crashing, etc. I just wanted sleep and comfort. And wine. I didn't think I'd become complacent. Maybe I have. I'm more worried about screaming kids and getting stuck next to fatties than I am about wondering who has designs on hijacking my plane.

I wish I was more up to date on the air marshal situations. I can usually pick them out easily.

Just thinking aloud again. I'm not a fan of being perplexed.
Always be kinder than you feel.

I was on a cross country flight a couple of times a few weeks ago and the thought never crossed my mind of hijacking, crashing, etc. I just wanted sleep and comfort. And wine. I didn't think I'd become complacent. Maybe I have. I'm more worried about screaming kids and getting stuck next to fatties than I am about wondering who has designs on hijacking my plane.

Don't fly "Cattle Car" and you won't have to worry about the kids, or the "fatties". The other scenarios really don't matter b/c you can't control anything about something happening. Thus the reason I don't sweat the small stuff. I just say the Apostle's Creed, just as I do before exiting the jump ship when I Sky Dive. After that, throw the brake handle back and let the rough edges ride! B|

Best-
Richard

rwieder

Don't fly "Cattle Car" and you won't have to worry about the kids, or the "fatties". The other scenarios really don't matter b/c you can't control anything about something happening. Thus the reason I don't sweat the small stuff. I just say the Apostle's Creed, just as I do before exiting the jump ship when I Sky Dive. After that, throw the brake handle back and let the rough edges ride! B|

Best-
Richard

I try to fly 1st as much as humanly possible. I've encountered kids, asshole kids at that, in 1st. A flight attendant and her family. The bitch took full meals for her "babies" and sent them back to coach for her parents. I was pissed because I do not eat seafood/fish due to an allergy and she hijacked my meal. I bitched to US Air like a crazy person and they gave me a free flight voucher. I still remember her yelling at one of the kids for 4 hours straight. The kid's name was Truman. :|
Always be kinder than you feel.

rwieder

Best-
Richard

Oh NO> that could never happen..... :S
Stay tuned folks... someone is in for a bumpy ride.[:/]