strife

Malyasian Flight missing - MH370

kallend

Apparently the French have now sent satellite pictures of debris in the south Indian Ocean.

www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/23/mh370-poor-visibility-indian-ocean-search-effort

latest update is the french satellite surrendered to the unidentified object.

maybe there isnt much particular interesting to keep an eye on in the southern Indian

>My drone has a GPS tracker on it. Reports to a ground station connected to my
>iPAD. And that's just to save a grand or so in case it flies away. If I owned a 777
>I'd definitely want a GPS tracker on it.

Probably a good decision. The owners of this aircraft had the same option.

Would you want to make it a crime to fly your drone without that tracker on, functioning and reporting to a government website?

billvon

Would you want to make it a crime to fly your drone without that tracker on, functioning and reporting to a government website?

There is a difference between what is appropriate for private individuals and what is appropriate for corporations holding themselves out as public accommodations.

This is the second time if this thread you've chosen to equate the two and it's almost as if you're intentionally doing it.

Why?

It's a completely false equivalency.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

>This is the second time if this thread you've chosen to equate the two

Kallend equated the two by claiming his drone had this function so it was reasonable to expect aircraft to be required to have it. If you say it's foolish to equate those two things (which I agree with) then your argument is with him.

In any case, my objection to such a system is not that it is "inappropriate for corporations holding themselves out as public accommodations" or any such. It is:

1) Iit won't do anything to reduce airplane crashes or save lives. Proof of that is, in part, that:
2) This aircraft had such a system (didn't help) and
3) Such a system, even if working correctly, would not have saved any lives in any incidents that I can think of in the past 20 years.

I just heard on the news the Malaysian government has asked the relatives to attend the press conference or be somewhere they can watch/listen to the upcoming announcement. I'm really hoping they're about to get an answer to the status of their loved ones.

New sightings of "debris" by lower flying aircraft (as opposed to satellites) seems somewhat hopeful as they reporting more specific colors, shapes, etc.

:(

Always be kinder than you feel.

DanG

I've used google maps to see if a sub division has centralized mail boxes for residents or boxes outside each home.

Are you under the impression those pictures were taken from space?

Are they not?

I assumed it was sattelite imagery, is that not the case? (I am obviously not talking about the street view images)

SkyDekker

Are they not?
I assumed it was sattelite imagery, is that not the case? (I am obviously not talking about the street view images)

Google Earth / Google Maps is a mis-mash of imagery. Everything from satellites to low-flying aircraft. The best satellite imagery on it is maybe 1 meter per pixel in most areas (maybe 0.5 meters in some selected cities), which would be pretty useless for a mailbox survey. In areas with a higher interest, there might be slightly better resolution from low-flying aircraft, but usually not. The "worst" resolution is typically the ocean, which in a lot of cases isn't imaged at all, but simply simulated since there's nothing there to see anyway.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

Are they not?

Google Earth / Google Maps is a mis-mash of imagery. Everything from satellites to low-flying aircraft. The best satellite imagery on it is maybe 1 meter per pixel in most areas (maybe 0.5 meters in some selected cities), which would be pretty useless for a mailbox survey. In areas with a higher interest, there might be slightly better resolution from low-flying aircraft, but usually not. The "worst" resolution is typically the ocean, which in a lot of cases isn't imaged at all, but simply simulated since there's nothing there to see anyway.

Thanks!

billvon

>My drone has a GPS tracker on it. Reports to a ground station connected to my
>iPAD. And that's just to save a grand or so in case it flies away. If I owned a 777
>I'd definitely want a GPS tracker on it.

Probably a good decision. The owners of this aircraft had the same option.

No, but neither do I carry 200+ people on my drone.

It just seems a sensible thing to do that is inexpensive to implement.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

billvon

>This is the second time if this thread you've chosen to equate the two

Kallend equated the two by claiming his drone had this function so it was reasonable to expect aircraft to be required to have it. If you say it's foolish to equate those two things (which I agree with) then your argument is with him.

In any case, my objection to such a system is not that it is "inappropriate for corporations holding themselves out as public accommodations" or any such. It is:

1) Iit won't do anything to reduce airplane crashes or save lives. Proof of that is, in part, that:
2) This aircraft had such a system (didn't help) and
3) Such a system, even if working correctly, would not have saved any lives in any incidents that I can think of in the past 20 years.

Recovering the remains of crashed aircraft so they can be examined to figure out what's wrong has in the past saved many lives. That's one of the reasons for requiring flight data and voice recorders on scheduled airline service aircraft. Just because they don't save that particular aircraft doesn't mean they don't save lives down the road.

You can't examine the remains of a crash if you can't find the remains. There was, for example, a design flaw in the Comets that was not discovered until after the remains of one were recovered from the sea floor.

Until MH370 is recovered and examined there is no way to know if there's a problem that can be addressed in the rest of the B777 fleet.

The technology for a floating, detachable GPS tracker exists. If MH370 had such a thing the chances are very good that we'd already know where it went down. As it is the search has so far cost in excess of $50 MILLION and not turned up anything.

"We're not searching for a needle in a haystack," Mark Binskin, vice chief of the Australian Defence Force, told reporters. "We're still trying to find where the haystack is."

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

oldwomanc6

***Here -

This just in =

They have found the plane,

It was right next to Nemo.

Waldo was.holding a few pieces.

Carmen Sandiego was marking the spot.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Recent video of local ocean condition. This is from the Astralian vessel equipped with a ROV.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/10723108/MH370-Search-boat-battles-huge-waves-in-Indian-Ocean.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Holy mother of God.

They're never going to find it, are they?
Always be kinder than you feel.

LuckyMcSwervy

Holy mother of God.

They're never going to find it, are they?

Welcome to the "Roaring Forties" where the "fetch" stretches around the world

Those days were my favorite in the Navy.

Sigh.

I miss the hard weather cruises.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun