strife

Malyasian Flight missing - MH370

wolfriverjoe

There are tens of millions of semi trailers out there.

Perfect example. You can bet that nowadays each and every one of those tens of millions of trucks if they are fleet owned are connected by GPS and an integrated data network to company HQ monitoring their investment. No lives involved only cargo, same applies to commercial shipping. Modern aircraft? .... oh there is a switch in the cabin which can be turned on and off. ok perfect!

>Aircraft regulation though is regulation for people not able to make a personal
>decision on whether or not the airlines will put this or that piece of safety
>equipment on-board.

OK, so all tandems should have an AAD on the main and the reserve and a GPS tracker. The big skydiving gear companies can certainly afford it, and if it saves just one life . .

>A person gets on an airplane and for the most part doesn't have a clue as to its
>maintenance, crew training, safety equipment -- THAT is what regulation is for.

What good does it do him?

SoCalJumper

***There are tens of millions of semi trailers out there.

Perfect example. You can bet that nowadays each and every one of those tens of millions of trucks if they are fleet owned are connected by GPS and an integrated data network to company HQ monitoring their investment. No lives involved only cargo, same applies to commercial shipping. Modern aircraft? .... oh there is a switch in the cabin which can be turned on and off. ok perfect!

Trucks? Yes. Qualcomm is pretty common. Not in every truck, but in most.

But not in the trailers. Some have them, particularly refrigerated trailers. But most dry vans or containers are still unmonitered.

And you still haven't answered how many plane crashes this would have helped with.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

billvon

The big skydiving gear companies can certainly afford it, and if it saves just one life.

Exactly! Take the high moral ground. Mandate it through international regulation and make all these foreign national airlines such as Malaysia or China, etc carry the expense. I mentioned it yesterday, found a news article by Inmarsat today. Seems people smarter than I have been considering this moving forward... I agree with it.

I'm surprised to see Americans defending through bemoaning the expenses involved in relation to the economies of other countries and defending them. That is what I was referring to when I said "entrenchment" I mean really, it's the other side of the planet, no real US involvement in flight operations with a national airline and we have the informed explaining away Malaysia's inadequacies from an American point of view. [:/] but maybe that guy is Canadian. :P not to insult any Canadians btw by saying they're Texans. :P

China is building brand new cities from nothing and building magnetic bullet trains investing billions of dollars and well... America is just fucked because we've become so used to not being able to afford anything it has become a knee-jerk reaction from the old guards of an industry.

It's like saying Dubai can't build the best skydiving facility in the world because it's just to expensive here.

How much $$$ is being spent by the 26 or 29 other countries now involved in this mystery search.

Once seat cushions are found floating somewhere there are still going to remain many many many unanswered questions.

wolfriverjoe

And you still haven't answered how many plane crashes this would have helped with.

I am uncertain if the technology was even available in the past perhaps the plane that struck the pentagon, the field in PA, the world trade center. But again was it available.... I don't think it was. So it's moot.

SoCalJumper

***And you still haven't answered how many plane crashes this would have helped with.

I am uncertain if the technology was even available in the past perhaps the plane that struck the pentagon, the field in PA, the world trade center. But again was it available.... I don't think it was. So it's moot.

How would that have changed any of the outcome, presuming it was available?
ATC knew where those planes were. They had them on radar.

The only one I can think of is the Air France from 09. It went down in the middle of the Atlantic.

That's the only one I can remember is recent times. And by 'recent', I'm going back 40 or 50 years.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

wolfriverjoe

The only one I can think of is the Air France from 09. It went down in the middle of the Atlantic.

It's my understanding that in that incident the ACARS sp? system released an avalanche of data to the satellites. Air France knew where that plane was very quickly. How to recover it was the major problem. The voice recording from that black box will keep you awake at night.

Here it is disabled completely. And can be from the cockpit.

There is a crazy not so crazy series of news stories about how the ACARS system can actually be hijacked electronically using a honeywell keypad and various other components readily available as used parts. The Russians may have developed this capacity. I'm not well enough informed to fully understand that or how commands can be entered or uploaded into the flight control computer. I would simply like to know where this plane is and what happened to it. At this point the only real answer is "who knows what happened"

SoCalJumper

***And you still haven't answered how many plane crashes this would have helped with.

If you can change history answer your own question to your own satisfaction I see it as a question unable to be answered.

I can't change history, but I can learn from it.

I can see that applying this sort of technology as a requirement wouldn't have any real benefit.

So why do it?

no real US involvement in flight operations with a national airline and we have the informed explaining away Malaysia's inadequacies from an American point of view. Unsure but maybe that guy is Canadian. Tongue not to insult any Canadians btw by saying they're Texans.

Really?

Gee...where was the aircraft built?
Who trained Pilots & the maintenance people?
What language is it again that's used on the radios?

~ & a lotta So.Cal. peeps have moved to Texas...taxes are 1/3 of CA. ~ if that doesn't matter to ya...prolly need a better job ;) --- PLUS when you trade in your CA. drivers license, they give ya a free gun! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

no real US involvement in flight operations with a national airline and we have the informed explaining away Malaysia's inadequacies from an American point of view. Unsure but maybe that guy is Canadian. Tongue not to insult any Canadians btw by saying they're Texans.

Really?

Gee...where was the aircraft built?
Who trained Pilots & the maintenance people?
What language is it again that's used on the radios?

~ & a lotta So.Cal. peeps have moved to Texas...taxes are 1/3 of CA. ~ if that doesn't matter to ya...prolly need a better job ;) --- PLUS when you trade in your CA. drivers license, they give ya a free gun! B|

It's not as if I am uninformed. I do understand. While I have put forth more of an idealistic viewpoint you've been more practical. It is honestly not that huge of a difference. I doubt your against technological advancements. This situation highlights certain technological areas which could be vastly improved upon.

It has even been speculated that the cabin was unoccupied to deal with an electrical fire which disabled many systems and both pilots were locked out of the cabin. The plane then flew on auto-pilot until it crashed. Highly unlikely IMO but the not knowing close to anything a full 2 weeks after it went missing is extraordinary. IMO which I do not have a problem saying. I do not know... it's not my field.

However I see what is done here often on dropzone.com, ask foolish questions of a poster, vet the person making the comments, make them into a fool. That grates against me.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/21/world/asia/airplane-safety-changes/

"Opponents, however, are not ready to welcome Big Brother in the sky. Many pilots -- and unions that represents them -- worry about an invasion of privacy."

In this day and age I believe a 300 million dollar investment for a single aircraft which transports the lives of 250+ people the personal privacy of the pilots while ON THE JOB should matter little if at all.

billvon

>Aircraft regulation though is regulation for people not able to make a personal
>decision on whether or not the airlines will put this or that piece of safety
>equipment on-board.

OK, so all tandems should have an AAD on the main and the reserve and a GPS tracker. The big skydiving gear companies can certainly afford it, and if it saves just one life . .

>A person gets on an airplane and for the most part doesn't have a clue as to its
>maintenance, crew training, safety equipment -- THAT is what regulation is for.

What good does it do him?

My drone has a GPS tracker on it. Reports to a ground station connected to my iPAD. And that's just to save a grand or so in case it flies away.

If I owned a 777 I'd definitely want a GPS tracker on it.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

SoCalJumper

There is a crazy not so crazy series of news stories about how the ACARS system can actually be hijacked electronically using a honeywell keypad and various other components readily available as used parts. The Russians may have developed this capacity.

OK, reach for the aluminum foil: Putin is responsible. He did it to distract media attention from his Crimea Adventure.

Apparently the French have now sent satellite pictures of debris in the south Indian Ocean.

Why nothing from US satellites? Aren't they more numerous, and more capable, than the stuff the French and Chinese have?

www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/23/mh370-poor-visibility-indian-ocean-search-effort

kallend

Apparently the French have now sent satellite pictures of debris in the south Indian Ocean.

Why nothing from US satellites? Aren't they more numerous, and more capable, than the stuff the French and Chinese have?

www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/23/mh370-poor-visibility-indian-ocean-search-effort

I'm assuming most of ours are arrayed in space over and around the US. And the ones that are not, are top secret spy satellites we don't want others to know about. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

I'm assuming most of ours are arrayed in space over and around the US. And the ones that are not, are top secret spy satellites we don't want others to know about. :P

"Oh hey guys, here is detailed 0.1m resolution maps of Southern China and the oceans around it..."

kallend

I'm assuming we have, but degraded and through back channels so as to not completely reveal how good the military optics are.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

degraded and through back channels so as to not completely reveal how good the military optics are.

yeah we wouldn't want to reveal that the US has capabilities far better than Google maps. :S

Not criticizing you just thinking about it. If anything I think countries in the region DO NOT have the capabilities of Google. >:(:o:)

I've used google maps to see if a sub division has centralized mail boxes for residents or boxes outside each home.

The thinking seems cold warish nowadays.

My guess is that our capabilities are good enough to have already spotted hundreds (if not thousands) of objects, and good enough to have identified them as "not relevant" to this search. i.e., good enough to not send ships & planes on 1500-mile wild goose chases in crappy conditions for what might be a 40 year old discarded mattress or a seaweed patch. No point mentioning any sightings that have nothing to do with the "missing" a/c. Like SoCalJumper mentioned, even Google Maps is probably good enough for that. That image of the 80' long object was pretty bad. But that's just a guess.