strife

Malyasian Flight missing - MH370

SkyDekker

***So what does a family survivor get as a pay off after a crash? Is it a lump settlement divided by x number of passengers? Or do they do a valuation of each person based on employment, age, etc.?

Bigger issue is that life insurance doesn't pay out on "missing". At least not until after a decade or so has passed.

Wouldn't a court order declaring a person deceased speed the process? Granted, I have no idea how long a person must be "missing" before that motion can be made.
Always be kinder than you feel.

Nothing reported as found after the first full day of searching west of Perth.

It doesn't sound like they've done much with the Maldives sighting as yet, but are really concentrating on the Australia one. I hope it turns out to be something.

normiss

What is there to not know beyond location?

Well, there is always the possibility it was grabbed by an alien tractor beam, just as it ran out of fuel.:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

airtwardo

***What is there to not know beyond location?

The 'Why' would be nice...especially if you're boarding a 777. :)

^This. Plus, it would comforting to some to have remains.

I'm getting cremated and then going to the ocean anyway so if I happened to be on that plane, I'd be like, "No, I'm good here in seat 3F. Keep me here. Waste of energy to take me up only to fry me, grind me up and then bring me back." :P
Always be kinder than you feel.

airtwardo

***What is there to not know beyond location?

The 'Why' would be nice...especially if you're boarding a 777. :)

Well 777 has a pretty damned good record in spite of the efforts of Wi Tu Lo and Ho Lee Fuk.

http://www.fearofflying.com/resources/safest-airliners-and-airline-safety.shtml
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

SkyDekker

***Agreed...but I personally expect the concrete is pretty dry at this point. The people on that aircraft are most likely dead.

When you have a loved one in a situation like this, most likely and definitely are about a universe apart.

To add insult to injury.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/03/21/malaysia-airlines-hotels-idUKL3N0MI22W20140321

"Chinese relatives of the passengers on the missing Malaysian jet have changed hotels to make way for crews arriving for the Malaysian grand prix after two weeks of searches that have yielded little more than fresh questions."

"Several foreign officials, investigators and journalists are also being forced by the event to move out of a hotel near the Kuala Lumpur international airport, which had become the ad hoc headquarters for coordinating search operations.

"We will be moving out of here because the F1 race is going to go on," Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein said.

airtwardo

IIRC even the engine reporting isn't a 'standard option', it's the most recommended because it's extremely cost effective regarding ROI on maintenance issues.

I think many people would be rather unpleasantly surprised at the number of obvious overall safety related 'options' some of the majors forego ordering due to the cost...

I obviously am and wanted to point to the incredible high price of the aircraft, but also more importantly in my view are the hundreds of lives involved.... to not know where a modern Boeing passenger jet is and what happened to it full of passengers and crew. :S

:D - And again, considering the overwhelming number of times that happens, I certainly can see your point. :$

Listen - It's always easy to armchair quarterback dozens of things that 'might' have made this a non-event. As was done ad nauseum following 9-11.

Since there is as of yet, no definitive cause - might be a bit early to be offering up solutions.

I have some experience in both the aerospace industry in regard to manufacturing hardware for airliners...
( I worked extensively not only on the triple 7 engine components - but also on the fabrication of the machines & tooling required to make those huge things - also on the testing to failure of some initial working prototypes)

...as well as a pretty good idea on how things run at a major airline being married to a senior capt flying widebodies internationally for the last 25 years.

Sure, an additional 40 - 50k to design in, wire up, test & certify for compatibility 'another' device offering quadruple redundancy to what's already there, may seem like a no-brainer....2U:)
Until you step back and look at the big picture.

Some of these majors order 50 or more aircraft on a contract...IF you can save enough money by getting the cheaper carpet & less than premium package for radios & avionics to buy an additional aircraft - it makes the decision a bit more difficult.

Do you have any idea how long the DC10/MD11 went without redesigning and implementing a 'certain fix' that would have made them somewhat safer? The equation in those matters centers around $...if it's projected to cost more to fix a maybe than it does to pay off the survivors of a couple of crashes...guess what?

Remember the problems a few years back with 737's - "we'll just fix 'em on a per unit basis the next time they happen to come in for a tear down" - Sure don't wanna shut down a worldwide fleet just to 'maybe' save a few hundred people.:ph34r:

If the margins are so close these days that they're charging per checked bag and 3 people are sharing a can of Coke -

- getting your panties all in a twist because in your opinion a one time anomaly event 'maybe/maybe not' be avoided by adding more bell$ & whistle$...is IMHO just kinda silly.

But then again, what do I know. :S

Ok, I understand how being entrenched in an industry for a lifetime you arrive at your point of view.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/10712034/How-MH370-vanished-and-how-it-could-have-been-avoided.html

""Companies like Inmarsat have been investing, but the industry as a whole has not been keeping pace with what is available in terms of technology."

Even so, if a pilot decided to turn off the terminal that transmits position information on SwiftBroadband, he could still do that. There is an argument, therefore, to make it mandatory for aircraft to transmit their position at all times, and build this technology into the plane so that it cannot be switched off.

"If regulators wished to ensure that all aircraft identified themselves, as ships at sea are required to do over a certain tonnage, then you could do that via satellite," said Chris McLaughlin, senior vice president of external affairs at Inmarsat.

"When you hear the story of flight MH360, you come very quickly to the conclusion that the aero industry needs to follow the maritime lead, and it needs to specify that all aircraft have to have a separate ringfenced position transmission system.""

Well at least I did. :P

Edited to add "But what do I know. :S

>There is an argument, therefore, to make it mandatory for aircraft to transmit
>their position at all times, and build this technology into the plane so that it
>cannot be switched off.

It would save even more lives to require AAD's on the mains and reserves of all skydivers. It's a no brainer. Of course people who have been entrenched in skydiving their whole lives probably can't see the benefit of this simple requirement.

billvon

>their position at all times, and build this technology into the plane so that it
>cannot be switched off.

It would save even more lives to require AAD's on the mains and reserves of all skydivers. It's a no brainer. Of course people who have been entrenched in skydiving their whole lives probably can't see the benefit of this simple requirement.

lol Oh poo and boo hoo, shall I take my bat and ball and go home. *pout*

A difference of opinion is just that. You see it your way and I'll see it mine.

Thanks for the laugh. :P

However the analogy you've put forth in comparison doesn't seem practical. Really AAD on mains? Whoulda thunk it?

you come very quickly to the conclusion that the aero industry needs to follow the maritime lead,

I dunno...seems they leave a lot more of 'em stuck in the mud under the waves, than they do stuck in the sky above the clouds! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

>However the analogy you've put forth in comparison doesn't seem practical.

Right, but you've arrived at your point of view because you've been entrenched in the skydiving industry for a long time. To a whuffo, that suggestion would seem perfectly logical and practical. Who _wouldn't_ want their parachutes opened at a safe altitude?

SoCalJumper

..."When you hear the story of flight MH360, you come very quickly to the conclusion that the aero industry needs to follow the maritime lead, and it needs to specify that all aircraft have to have a separate ringfenced position transmission system.""

Well at least I did. :P

Edited to add "But what do I know. :S

Why?
Really, why should this be required?

How many planes in the last 5, 10 or 20 years would this have helped?

And how much would it cost to equip every airliner?

A few years ago, there was a lunatic who drove a semi-truck into a State Capitol building. (Utah?)

It was at the end of a chase where the cops were pretty much powerless to stop something that big.

There was a ridiculous suggestion that each and every truck be equipped with a "brake button" on the back bumper, so that a cop could ram the back of the truck and dump the air out of the parking brake system. The parking brakes are held off by air pressure. Lose air and the brakes lock up.

The cost would have been a couple of hundred dollars per trailer. There are tens of millions of semi trailers out there. All would have been required to be equipped.

For something that happens once a decade or so.

This idea had a rather surprising level of support. Lots of people thought it would be a good idea.

Until they were asked who was going to pay for it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

airtwardo

A few years ago, there was a lunatic who drove a semi-truck into a State Capitol building.

Austin Texas...

Ok, thanks. I couldn't remember it for sure.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

billvon

>cannot be switched off.

A bit of an unfair argument there since skydiving equipment is by definition a very personal choice. Aircraft regulation though is regulation for people not able to make a personal decision on whether or not the airlines will put this or that piece of safety equipment on-board.

A person gets on an airplane and for the most part doesn't have a clue as to its maintenance, crew training, safety equipment -- THAT is what regulation is for.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver