ryoder

If ever a video needed a Kenny Loggins soundtrack

Long before go-pros, and other devices that recorded our every action, Mrowc6 and I were riding West on Old Woman Springs Road (ironic, ain't it?) toward Victorville on his Yamaha 650, and two F-4s buzzed the crap out of us from behind :o, and then came around and buzzed us when we could see them coming.

We could feel them going past us both times!

It was pretty darned amazing! B|

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

JohnMitchell

***two F-4s buzzed the crap out of us from behind :o, and then came around and buzzed us when we could see them coming.

I remember seeing both the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds when they were flying the F-4s. Damn impressive. B|

When I was a kid, the Thunderbirds (F-100s) were at Bartow Air Base in Florida. The maneuver was what they now call "Tactical Surprise". I remember watching the four jets to the left when a solo buzzed from the right going supersonic just in front of the crowd. Broken windows around the base, women dropping babies on the tarmac, other havoc. To my knowledge, this was the last time they were permitted to go supersonic at a show in the US. The base newsletter published a photo of the jet going away showing the shockwave with the claim that it was the first time a supersonic shockwave had been photographed. (I'm sure that there were probably classified photos taken before, even though it was less than 10 years since Yaeger had broken it.) BTW - the pilot was William Pogue who later became a Skylab Astronaut.

muff528

BTW - the pilot was William Pogue who later became a Skylab Astronaut.

I have his autograph. I met him at a restaurant in Texas '66 or so. He was having breakfast at the same place as my Cub Scout group. Our den leader knew him and took us over to meet him. B|

JohnMitchell

*** BTW - the pilot was William Pogue who later became a Skylab Astronaut.

I have his autograph. I met him at a restaurant in Texas '66 or so. He was having breakfast at the same place as my Cub Scout group. Our den leader knew him and took us over to meet him. B|

B|B| I always thought it would be cool to meet him and ask about that fly-by. I have a copy of the newsletter article and would have liked to have gotten an autograph on it. IIRC - the article mentioned that he had been a student at Bartow Air Base. My dad worked there during the 50's until 1960. He worked for a couple of civilian companies that provided flight training and maintenance for the Air Force during that time.

JohnMitchell

***two F-4s buzzed the crap out of us from behind :o, and then came around and buzzed us when we could see them coming.

I remember seeing both the Blue Angels when they were flying the F-4s. Damn impressive. B|

I do too... Fun times on the Alabama Fort Morgan peninsula beach every Wednesday morning... Those were awesome birds. Better than the F18's IMO. They'd announce their presence with a near-supersonic fly-by at 200 MSL... you're eating breakfast and then all of a sudden (whistleROOAAARRRR!!!!) and the whole fucking beach house on stilts is shaking. B|

They quit flying practice runs along the beach in the late 80's IIRC... fucking sucked... [:/]
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

When we were stationed at MacDill AFB dad would buzz the house at 200' haulin ass. Mom said. "Alright kids, dad will be home in an hr. for dinner. Go get washed up" Only took one time to know when to expect dinner. Watched one F4 from the front gate. Low level runway abort and pilot eject and the plane went in Tampa Bay. Was pretty cool.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

akarunway

When we were stationed at MacDill AFB dad would buzz the house at 200' haulin ass. Mom said. "Alright kids, dad will be home in an hr. for dinner. Go get washed up" Only took one time to know when to expect dinner. Watched one F4 from the front gate. Low level runway abort and pilot eject and the plane went in Tampa Bay. Was pretty cool.

Very Cool! I remember the F-4s from MacDill flying over Central Florida on their way to Avon Park Bombing Range. You could usually see a pair flying low over I-4 heading south just about every time you got the area of US27 and I-4. Dad said that during the war, the old saying around MacDill was "One a day in Tampa Bay". But I think they were talking about B-26s then.

muff528

****** BTW - the pilot was William Pogue who later became a Skylab Astronaut.

B|B| I always thought it would be cool to meet him and ask about that fly-by. I have a copy of the newsletter article and would have liked to have gotten an autograph on it. IIRC - the article mentioned that he had been a student at Bartow Air Base. My dad worked there during the 50's until 1960. He worked for a couple of civilian companies that provided flight training and maintenance for the Air Force during that time.

Ran across the article I mentioned.