GogglesnTeeth

Your tax dollars at work.

New NOTAM posted for the Southeast.

ADS-B, TCAS 'Unreliable' In Southeast In September

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/ADS-B-TCAS-Unreliable-In-Southeast-In-September-224791-1.html

So what exactly will the military be up to that could affect commercial aircraft up to 200 nautical miles out???

B|
Goggles and Teeth

"You fall like a greased safe!!!"

GogglesnTeeth

New NOTAM posted for the Southeast.

ADS-B, TCAS 'Unreliable' In Southeast In September

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/ADS-B-TCAS-Unreliable-In-Southeast-In-September-224791-1.html

So what exactly will the military be up to that could affect commercial aircraft up to 200 nautical miles out???

B|

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013/03/28/the-total-iraq-and-afghanistan-pricetag-over-4-trillion
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Well that's messed up. It's common knowledge that the military can jam and distort GPS signals. It's caused trouble on the West coast. Now it looks like it's the East coast's turn.

ADS-B is a GPS based system. Old TCAS was a radar transponder based system, independent of GPS, and shouldn't be affected by the military exercises. But as ADS-B becomes the norm, TCAS systems will also be GPS dependent, and subject to "distortion".

In the interest of public safety, this kind of crap should not be put up with. >:(

JohnMitchell

In the interest of public safety, this kind of crap should not be put up with. >:(

+1
It is time someone pointed out to the US military that their ultimate purpose is to protect the citizenry,
not deliberately put them at risk.>:(
I would say it might be more reliable to use the GLONASS system,
unless they are jamming/tampering those signals as well.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

JohnMitchell

Well that's messed up. It's common knowledge that the military can jam and distort GPS signals. It's caused trouble on the West coast. Now it looks like it's the East coast's turn.

ADS-B is a GPS based system. Old TCAS was a radar transponder based system, independent of GPS, and shouldn't be affected by the military exercises. But as ADS-B becomes the norm, TCAS systems will also be GPS dependent, and subject to "distortion".

To make it more fun, think about the 2020 mandate and how reliant pilots are going to be with their little ADS-B/TIS-B traffic alerts, just to have a quadrant of the country knocked out for a training exercise.[:/]
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message