wmw999

Windows PC and connectivity

OK, it's time for another question to the help desk :P

There are public networks where my laptop (Windows 7, SP1) connects just fine (like the laundromat where I am). There are others where it won't (like the public library I just left).

It used to connect to the library; as far as the librarian knows, there aren't others having this problem. Running the diagnostic that pops up does no good.

Are there settings I should be looking for or changing? I'm afraid that beyond "plug here" or "click the little icon" I'm not real good at network stuff.

thanks
Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

If they're secured with a password, you might need to re-enter the password. Usually, going to the wifi network list and selecting the network you want to join will give you some information. Your devices should remember the password but if it ever changes, you'll need to re-enter it.

If it's not secured with a password, you might still have to explicitly tell your device to join the network. That might be all you need to do there. Once it knows you like to join that network, it'll usually remember to rejoin it when you're in range.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

No PW, and I do go explicitly select the network. But since yesterday it wouldn't even connect to my iPhone, it might just be the hardware :(

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

OK, I have turned it off and on (it's a laptop, so that happens every time I use it), deleted and retried the library connection, and downloaded every new driver and BIOS update I could find. Next I'll try ipconfig (thanks).

If that doesn't help me, I'll probably break down and pay someone at the local PC store. Ah well, it's given me great service; might be getting old.

Wendy P.

Before you go shell out some money for this, were you unable to connect with your iPhone to the library wireless?

Signed,
Guy who runs library internet here.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I didn't try that; didn't think about it. the laptops that were there (connected via wireless) were connected. I do know that the laptop will no longer connect via my iphone, while the other one will. But this laptop wouldn't connect via the hardwired USB to the iphone even before, only wireless. It sees the iphone, and can download pictures, it just doesn't see it as a portal of any sort to the outside world. And yes, hotspot is enabled :P

Well that was embarrassing. I've reinstalled iTunes on my PC and now it connects via the iPhone just fine. I'd forgotten that I did a clean install of windows :$. It won't help the library, but one step at a time.

Wendy P.

Yes; just not the library. It might be a personal problem on their part. Unfortunately, it's where the Internet lives out here :P. Drive past the boonies about 10 miles and that's where I am right now.

But the laundromat still works...

Wendy P.