ryoder

70mph Longboard Run in CO

I went searching Reddit to find the location.
I found a deleted post followed by this:

"This is Colorado, but we don't blow spots around here. Refer to rule #7, don't blow it!"

:D

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

RiggerLee

I don't know about the whole long board thing. I think you're better off with some thing like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdW2f88gVDE

Lee

Larger wheels, corners better, has a bicycle disc brake;
Well, shucks, that takes a lot of the thrill out of it.:|;)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

I went searching Reddit to find the location.
I found a deleted post followed by this:

"This is Colorado, but we don't blow spots around here. Refer to rule #7, don't blow it!"

:D

I've ran into a few longboarders around downtown Denver. They totally seem like the group to do this. Kinda like BASE and burning objects. It's all about the gnaaaaaaar.

ryoder

]]
Larger wheels, corners better, has a bicycle disc brake;
Well, shucks, that takes a lot of the thrill out of it.:|;)

That's pretty gnarly.

Can't believe he's not wearing some sort of padding though. That thing looks SUPER twitchy in the corners and I've seen 70mph road rash when people come off bikes on asphalt... It's not pretty. Lots and lots of time in sterile hospital environments regrowing skin. [:/]

Like my original instructor told me - All the gear, all the time.

Here is another video he made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72Zl3IIUoG0
(Bizarre audio track :S)

Route (Hoosier Pass Northbound):
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/39.3635941,-106.0609161/39.387476,-106.052996/@39.363878,-106.0603374,18.04z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0

3 miles in 4.5 minutes -> 40mph average speed

Interesting.
I never rode Sugarloaf.
I climbed Magnolia, and it was such an unpleasant experience that I never did Sugarloaf, since it is my understanding it is similar to Magnolia.
(Both climbs parallel Boulder Cyn, with Sugarloaf to the North, and Magnolia to the South.)

Good idea.
Mute the video, then play this in another tab while you watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Brcsjvuc00

I wish I could use that on one of my videos, but Moby doesn't make it available for free use.

BTW That guardrail on the left side near the end of the Magnolia video:
I came within a hairs breadth of going over it first time I tried Magnolia.
I gave up less than a mile up, turned around, the almost crashed because I picked up speed too fast.:o:S

I went back a year later with a new bike with lower gearing, and conquered it.
That was the only climb I failed on first time I tried it...until Lickskillet Road.
And I'm not even going to bother trying that miserable POS again.>:(

I'm assuming you were on a roadie, buuuut totally unrelated...

Feb 9, 2014...remember that horrible snowstorm that hit summit county and closed 70? My dumbass was determined to make it back to Denver. Tried taking Hoosier Pass in my Jeep, put it into the guardrail twice going about 2 mph :S. Buddy in the passenger seat put his shoes on, and was ready to bail a few times. Black ice + so much snow. Worst birthday ever :|, and best because the slopes were great B|

stayhigh

that is like 35 mph at best.

You must have been watching a different video.
I rode the course in the video I posted.
It is 2.4 miles, and he covered it in 2:32, for an average speed of 57mph.