kallend

SCUBA recommendations?

My wife and I certified OW in March in Belize, and have since dived in the Keys, Maui, Kauai and Bonaire. We're planning a trip to Socorro in December. After that we are open to recommendations for dive trips.

We are not remotely interested in cold water!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

My wife and I certified OW in March in Belize, and have since dived in the Keys, Maui, Kauai and Bonaire. We're planning a trip to Socorro in December. After that we are open to recommendations for dive trips.

Just a couple thoughts....

Greece
http://xray-mag.com/content/archaeological-diving-parks-open-greece

Compliments of US Navy
http://www.truk-lagoon-dive.com/

I don't know how it is now, but Dad was stationed on Okinawa in the 70's and and was into SCUBA at the time. He took me to a couple of beaches with him and I remember tropical reefs and sea life, similar to Hawaii. I believe it's a bit off the beaten path in Japan, but it might be worth checking out.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Grand Cayman. You can shore dive Eden Rock and the Turtle farm.

Great reefs on the east end of the island, but expensive boat rides, but not too deep and nice views and fish

The North wall is spectacular, 6000' dropoff, but yes, 100-140' dives and spectacular, but of course more technically challenging. and you need a boat

7-mile beach, most of the dives shops arrange a night dive there, 40' but I thought it was 'meh' but lots of life on the reefs and not too deep.

lnx

They say cavern diving in Mexico is pretty nice.

Hah! Scuba's safe-ish, but I think the only two things I know of that are more dangerous than wingsuit proximity base are cave diving and surfing the tsunamis created by falling glaciers (Yes, that's actually a thing!)
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

FlyingRhenquest

***They say cavern diving in Mexico is pretty nice.

Hah! Scuba's safe-ish, but I think the only two things I know of that are more dangerous than wingsuit proximity base are cave diving and surfing the tsunamis created by falling glaciers (Yes, that's actually a thing!)

I love wreck diving..

The ones they clean up and get all the obstructions out of then sink as artificial reefs are usually safer but the ones the Germans put on the floor of the Atlantic and Gulf in the 1940's for us to dive can be a bit sketchy with crap that can mess up your day in a heartbeat. but Dayum.. there are some big lobsters on some of those;)

FlyingRhenquest

***They say cavern diving in Mexico is pretty nice.

Well, that's why I said cavern diving. :) I haven't been there, but know several relatively inexperienced divers who have done it, without thinking it was particularly dangerous.

Something to look into anyway.

The problem with cavern diving is that it's easy as long as everything goes right. But you're panicked and fucked in a much bigger hurry in a cave or wreck. All of a sudden you can't revert to just as ending slowly.

Recommendation from me would be Dominica. Not in incredible diving (but good), but no one else was there when we were, so it was really nice. Also, being the only passengers on a big catamaran made it unforgettable.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Best open water diving I've done is in Komodo, indonesia.

For caves mexico is hard to beat, and an experience you'll never forget. The closest thing to being in space, with water so clear you can't see it.

Cave diving is no more dangerous than skydiving, but as many other activities, you need to do what you are doing. Same as skydiving.

You can do guided cavern (you can see the exit at all times) dives that are awesome and very safe if done with a competent dive shop.

kallend

If you haven't been to the Galapagos Islands yet, I highly recommend it. I didn't scuba diver there but did a lot of snorkelling and WHEN I GO BACK. I want to scuba dive.

First the sea lions will come right up to you if you are snorkelling, but I want to scuba to see the marine iguanas in action under water.

AlanS

***My wife and I certified OW in March in Belize, and have since dived in the Keys, Maui, Kauai and Bonaire. We're planning a trip to Socorro in December. After that we are open to recommendations for dive trips.

If you haven't been to the Galapagos Islands yet, I highly recommend it. I didn't scuba diver there but did a lot of snorkelling and WHEN I GO BACK. I want to scuba dive.

First the sea lions will come right up to you if you are snorkelling, but I want to scuba to see the marine iguanas in action under water.

Have been to the Galapagos and did a lot of snorkeling. VERY COLD WATER. Played with sealions, and saw penguins, boobies and iguanas under water.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

******My wife and I certified OW in March... After that we are open to recommendations for dive trips.

If you haven't been to the Galapagos Islands yet, I highly recommend it..

Have been to the Galapagos ... VERY COLD WATER.

I don't think it was VERY COLD. All I needed was a long-sleeved synthetic shirt and could snorkel for an hour or more. Most other people with us put on a wetsuit, but they were wimps. :)

To get VERY COLD WATER, that would be snorkeling or scuba diving in the Monterey Bay of California.

AlanS

Have been to the Galapagos and did a lot of snorkeling. VERY COLD WATER. Played with sealions, and saw penguins, boobies and iguanas under water.

You had me at "boobies"!

He means the "blue footed" kind.

Well if the water is cold enough to turn their feet blue, then the nipples will be nice and perky :D
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g303874-d309950-Reviews-Anthony_s_Key_Resort-Sandy_Bay_Roatan_Bay_Islands.html

They frequently have two for one deals. When combined with cheap US direct airfares via AA. Makes it a great deal.

http://www.anthonyskey.com/packages/2015-2-for-1-special.htm

Palau. Simply amazing AND you can snorkel Jellyfish Lake.

Navot Bornovski owns FishnFins dive shop. He's a skydiver and all around great guy. He'll look after you.

It's a long flight but WAY worth it. He also has two live aboard boats.

He also has a helicopter and you might sneak a jump in. We are discussing hosting another boogie there in a few years.

http://www.fishnfins.com/

kallend

Cozumel, Roatan Honduras, Antigua.

Chuck
NAUI Master Diver and US Army Combat Dive Supervisor