Calvin19

F-16 engine test ringtone.

I was doing a demo in Oregon and there was a string of Vipers practicing over the venue during down time. I kept hearing this wicked loud grind/spool up noise as they throttled up while passing overhead at about 1000'. I called my good viper pilot friend right off and asked him what that noise was. He said he does not know, he can't hear anything from the cockpit as he is being a god among men in his own F-16. I hung up on him. Dick.

A few months before he had given me his (now replaced with the secret version) flight manual for the C models. He texted I should look in there.

My thought was it could be the compressor wheel spooling up from low RPMs before the turbine and fan catches up and burner kicks on. Nope.

Turns out it is the actuators for the stator vanes changing pitch to adjust for the optimum airflow ahead of the compressor. It sounds like happiness and awesome in the purest forms.

Enjoy.

Also sounds a lot like the Titan 2 start cartridge spinning up the turbo pumps to initiate engine start. sadly I don't have clean audio of this to make a cool ringtone.

This video explains the phenomenon, but not in great detail. Nothing wrong with watching Amy talk about rockets of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTJDI4bwtOM

kallend

Nothing wrong with watching Amy talk about rockets of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTJDI4bwtOM

More enlightenment on rocket guidance systems:

mypages.iit.edu/~kallend/rocketsci.wav

That. Was. Awesome.

hahahahahaha. I got through that first listen, slowly building up a laugh at the exact precision of ambiguity it gives you.

Funny, that is seemingly "identical" to how our multi-rotor flight computer/controllers work through INS, GPS and compass. It's a somewhat good descriptor to a lot of automated navigation systems I'm sure.