Nataly

The horrible thing about online dating...

If you have an interesting and satisfying life you can share it with someone, and they'll have some idea of what your about by what you do (rather than by what you say). And if you don't find someone right away, well, then you have an interesting life.

Having done the online and speed dating things in the past, I found that talking to people was best. Traded several emails with people before meeting them, and the only clinker I met was funny -- OK guy, just zero chemistry. Less than zero. And he said so at the end of the date :D. Boy that was easy.

I met my husband skydiving. We're excellent together.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

AlanS

I'm now trying to decide if online dating it is worth the effort.

Dude... Kinda sounds like you're not ready to be dating at all right now... [:/]

Don't worry, we've all done it - or been on a date with someone who wasn't quite presenting their best self... It's great that you're putting yourself out there, but there's also nothing wrong with taking a break. Might do you some good. You can get back into the game again when you feel up to it. :)
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

piisfish

online dating... I thought it was just for the shagging :$
some people take that stuff seriously ?

There is a bit of everything. Some sites are just about shagging and some not.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

yoink

Just so you know, I met my wife through online dating.

She was my 2nd date and I was her first and we dated for 4 years before getting married a year and a half ago.

It can work.

I met my wife online. Used one of the more expensive services (that weeds out a lot of losers). We dated for 2 years and then got married 2 years ago. No regrets.

Being in my 60s the demographics were definitely in my favor, and before meeting my wife I met a bunch of other very nice women in my age range. Ben Franklin got it right.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

wmw999

If you have an interesting and satisfying life you can share it with someone, ... And if you don't find someone right away, well, then you have an interesting life.

I think part of the problem is I'm still very active and finding someone willing to do similar active things on a vacation is hard.

Some of the things I do, are go kayaking in the open ocean with six-foot waves to see the Napili coast (along Kauai) and explore caves the are only accessible by kayak or small boat.

Swim the Alcatraz or Tiburon mile swims in the SF Bays cold water.

Do 35 mile/2 day treks in the backcountry of Yosemite.

Scuba dive into a lava cave off Lanai to see a large eel.

Forget skydiving. I'm just looking for someone that like will occasionally scuba dive, or kayak in the open ocean, or zip line. These generic sites (i.e starts with an M) don't seem to have people like that on them, and to make matters worse people are exaggerating how active/adventerous they are, so when you meet them in person and realize they exaggerated, you are left disappointed.

It seems there needs to be a site for more active/adventerous people (former college athelets) that want to be active on their vacations too. Maybe I'm just looking at the wrong site.

I'm not claiming that all people online are reclusive anti-social hermits that spend all their time in front of a computer screen... But very active people tend NOT to waste a lot of time doing that... So you are probably right that the websites are not full of the kind of girl you may be after. You may have to continue your adventurous lifestyle and hope that whilst you are out there you will bump into a like-minded person.

I'm just sayin'...
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Internet couch potatoes might not be your demographic.

Their are dating groups that specialize in adventure activities. Usually it's not an online thing. The basic concept is that they have a calendar, a schedule where you can sign up for activities along with other singles. Example, they might for instance plan a day of skydiving at a drop zone. So you sign up and go out for a tandem with fifty other single people. Or they may plan a mountain bike ride or camping trip or what ever. Basic concept is get twenty to a hundred single people with some common interest together in one place and let them try to hit on each other. I don't know if their is any success in that regard but we got a lot of tandems out of them. But the concept is not bad. You get to meet a large group of people who are: 1. out doorsy 2. single 3. looking. It's the basic concept of just go and do the things that you enjoy and hope to find some one similar. The thing is that you're rolling the dice hoping that some one you meet will also be looking. This at least concentrates all the single and looking into one place.

Their are plenty of adventurous people out their but the problem is they are out their, doing shit. Actually you remind me of some one I know named Amy. Skydiver but mostly into climbing now. Remind me some time and I'll tell you the Nepal story. Best advice is just keep doing your shit. Keep a sharp eye out for any guy that appears to be alone. And when you see some one likely pounce. Remember if they are alone it's probable because they have given up on trying to find some one to go with them and just went on their own. Their's kind of an unwritten rule that you don't intrude on some one elses nature time. So if you want to make something happen you will have to initiate it. No one is going to approach some one else, especially a woman, say when your out on a hike. It's rude and some what threatening. So if you want to catch one you are going to get out their and chase him down.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

I find internet dating too contrived. I don't fit the 'normal' mould (I doubt most skydivers do, lol) and either the guys on there don't want me because I'm too adventurous and independent or I don't want them because they're too boring :P:D

I did try several sites last year because I know several people who have met fairly good matches that way (and went to 2 weddings as a result!) and had some dates with potential, but they all turned out to have missed out something critical from their online profiles. Like a wife. And a drug habit. Or desperation (leading to one guy physically launching himself at me in a coffee shop whilst I was still holding a cup of tea!!).

And why the hell do guys lie about their height???? I'm 5'8. If you tell me you're 5'11 and you're actually 5'6, did you really think I wouldn't notice??? And if you've lied about that, what else are you lying about that I haven't found out about yet? I'm not overly concerned with height, my last long-term ex was shorter than me but if you start off with a lie, there's not really any place to go.....

I got fed up of being dumped by text, twice whilst sitting by my dad's hospital bedside (yeah, they knew!), and one ghosting

My life is great, I'm happy being single, I'm not going to settle for a mediocre fit just to avoid being alone, so that basically reduces my pool of suitable partners to practically zero, rofl. If I happen to meet someone whilst skydiving, or at a party, or while climbing or at a festival, then great. If not, fine. So I deleted all my online profiles :)

A mind once stretched by a new idea never regains its original dimensions - Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr

My best friend joined a running club... Her intent was to meet like-minded people... It's where she met her boyfriend about 4 years ago... They now own a house together and are trying for a baby.

Personally, I'm not putting all my energy into online dating... I think it's filled with a wide variety of different kinds of people and *can* be a way to meet singles... But there are SO many factors that make you compatible (or not) with someone - the reality is that "being single" may be the only thing you have in common with a lot of these people!!! :D:D And to make matters worse, some people on there aren't even single!! :|

- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

SkyDekker

where she met her boyfriend about 4 years ago... They now own a house together and are trying for a baby.

I wonder if what she thought was important in a partner has changed over those 4 years?

I don't know... I know he was commitment-phobic in the beginning and she was thinking about marriage and kids and buying a house together very early on... They seem to have met somewhere in the middle. It hasn't been without its ups and downs of course, but overall they seem pretty good/happy together.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

I could fill pages and pages with some of the stuff I have gotten/seen!!

Thing is, even if I find a lot of these guys weird and/or creepy, I cannot deny that the entertainment factor is pretty hard to beat!!! :D:D:ph34r:

- Chris Hadfield
- my boss