BigMikeH77

Family/Kid Friendly Dropzones

I've seen it more times than I personally think I should. Kids at the dropzone, bored to tears but still soldiering through it. Usually they're just glued to an electronic device, plugged into the wall. Sometimes they're playing with whomever will give them the time of day. Other times a Jumper might bring the wife/girlfriend/S.O. and there's just not a lot to really do. Now obviously I'm not thinking about anything ridiculously elaborate, but are there any dropzones with a reputation for being a place that spectators and family members have more to do than watch and wait?

Well, Jumptown in Massachusetts has a playground around back. I think Spaceland does, too (at least it did at one time). Skydive Chicago has a good enough restaurant that people actually go there just to eat.

That said, dZ's tend to be kind of skydiving-focused. Maybe bring some board games and import a friend or two for your kids.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Yeah, most of them aren't well set up for guests. If there's a reasonable cafe/bar with seating (outdoor with a view of the landing area is a bonus), that can keep people comfortable for some of the time, but given that many of us get there early in the day and stay till after sunset, that can get to be a bit much for anyone who's not involved in the operation directly. Places like Eloy or Perris that have pools are good choices on warm enough days, though depending on the age of the kids you'll probably still need supervision.

My parents have only come out once and that was when we all met up in Florida for a couple days around Christmas. They came out with us to ZHills for the day - we made it a relatively short day (easier in the winter since they're not that long anyway) - started late morning, left mid-afternoon, did 3 jumps or so, and left before anyone got too bored. But ZHills has a good setup with the big deck with lots of chairs overlooking the landing area, decent bathrooms, and a cafe to pick up lunch. So no one was too uncomfortable.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

My home DZ, a (three) Cessna DZ, is very family friendly. It's very common to see non-skydiving spouses and SO's hanging out cooking and playing outdoor games with each other, all the while lot's of jumpers kids all running around playing and having fun hanging out together. The kids are usually very well behaved and stay out of things they shouldn't be. Nobody is uptight about any person (worker or up-jumper) at the DZ disciplining their kid while they are up if it comes to it.

Our old Kapowsin, WA DZ was very family friendly. There were forests and frog ponds and neighbor kids and a giant wood pile to build forts in. The DZOs themselves were raising their children there as well. The new Kapowsin is Shelton, WA is still kid-friendly, but doesn't have the play areas like the old.

quade

I've noticed how few strip clubs come with McDonald's style play grounds.

What's up with that?

No kidding. The strippers would love it. It would give their kids a place to play while mommy (and occasionally daddy) are working.

*Edit* Wow... that got dark...
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

quade

What's up with that?

Are you quoting a website?:o
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

quade

What's up with that?

Made me laugh. But not that many people go hang out at the strip club 9 am till sunset all weekend long. (I hope)
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

***I've noticed how few strip clubs come with McDonald's style play grounds.

What's up with that?

Made me laugh. But not that many people go hang out at the strip club 9 am till sunset all weekend long. (I hope)

I remember a drop zone in Georgia that had a bouncy house:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

******I've noticed how few strip clubs come with McDonald's style play grounds.

What's up with that?

I remember a drop zone in Georgia that had a bouncy house:)

And you didn't dare go in it the day after festivities (sticky) :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

DeLand is family friendly, there are always kids running around there. There's a playground right by the landing area, a big deck to watch everyone's landings and a full restaurant.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon