Socrates

Movie Theater Seating

There is a new trend happening in new fancy-schmancy movie theaters. When you purchase your ticket, you are displayed an image of the theater seating that is still available on a computer screen, and you pick the seat you want. This is mandatory.

I don't like this method. The seat I want in a theater is a very dynamic thing. It depends upon how big the screen is, how many rows of seats there are, the uphill angle of the rows of seats, and so on. I also choose seats to avoid having someone in front of me if possible, so my long legs don't bump the back of their seat and disturb them. I don't sit near kids that might be whiney. I don't sit near teeny-boppers tapping on cell phones. I don't sit near anyone coughing. I don't sit near people eating a jumbo popcorn, nachos, hot dog and a 104 ounce slurpee. I don't sit on side aisles where people will be walking up and down in front of my line of view. All of that is a very dynamic thing. You walk in, look around, survey the field of possibilities taking all those factors into account, and choose your seat. And that best-case seat could be just about anywhere.

But with this pre-assigned seating, you don't get to make any of those snap judgments. You pick a chair on a computer screen, and you're stuck with whatever happens to be around you, like it or not. Bah Humbug!

New in the United States. Been S.O.P. in some other countries for a while.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

That presents a dilemma for US cinemas, you have to take into account where the mass shooter will be firing from. Do you choose to sit near an exit? but what if the shooter is not seated and enters from that same exit. Hmm; choices?

* note: cinemas shows films, theatres have a stage with live actors)
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

RMK

That presents a dilemma for US cinemas, you have to take into account where the mass shooter will be firing from. Do you choose to sit near an exit? but what if the shooter is not seated and enters from that same exit. Hmm; choices?

* note: cinemas shows films, theatres have a stage with live actors)

So explain "movie theater".
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

JerryBaumchen

Hi turtle,

So explain "movie theater".

Dichotomous term.

Jerry Baumchen

What about a sound theater?

And then the theater of battle?

Home theater?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

If I want to watch a movie, I usually do it in the privacy of my own home, where I don't have to deal with jackasses on cell phones, don't have to take out a second mortgage for $.25 worth of popcorn, can have an adult beverage with the show if I want it, and don't have to worry about getting shot in the back of the head because some disgruntled twatwaffle had an argument with his girlfriend.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

RMK

note: cinemas shows films, theatres have a stage with live actors)

Bzzzt. Incorrect.

Definition of THEATER
a : an outdoor structure for dramatic performances or spectacles in ancient Greece and Rome
b : a building or area for dramatic performances
c : a building or area for showing motion pictures

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/theater

turtlespeed

Home theater?

Don't forget Security Theater.:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I'm the sort of guy where if I walk in and don't see a seat in the middle (horizontally) close enough to fill my field of view as much as possible but far enough to not hurt my neck, I just walk out and get a refund and come back for a different session.

So for me, preassigned is by far better. It lets those of us who plan ahead benefit from doing so. I have better things to do than sit in line for a movie I'm excited to see, and with assigned seating I know in advance if I can get a decent seat or not.

Admittedly, there are factors that make it a bit harder such as if you're not familiar with that particular cinema, but it's easy enough to make an educated guess.
cavete terrae.

FlyingRhenquest

If I want to watch a movie, I usually do it in the privacy of my own home, where I don't have to deal with jackasses on cell phones, don't have to take out a second mortgage for $.25 worth of popcorn, can have an adult beverage with the show if I want it, and don't have to worry about getting shot in the back of the head because some disgruntled twatwaffle had an argument with his girlfriend.

Me, too. I haven't been to a theatre for over a decade. They have always been on the edge of annoying and anxiety producing, long before they started getting shot up.

I researched, bought the right ingredients, and I can have the same popcorn at home. Go coconut oil and Flavacol! B|
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

has been like this in movie theaters here in switzerland for as long as i can remember. but i dont go to the movies often, i usually fall asleep.

torrent that shit and watch it on my UHD 55", if i sit close enough, it's just like at the theatre. and if i feel frisky, there's no stopping me! has a tendency to be not so well received in public! :P

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I haven't been to a theater to see a movie in a long time, but after reading about this and the purse searches in another thread, I think I'm really not going to a public theater anytime soon! No, I would not want to pre-pick my seat. That's just annoying.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Socrates

***note: cinemas shows films, theatres have a stage with live actors)

Bzzzt. Incorrect.

Definition of THEATER
a : an outdoor structure for dramatic performances or spectacles in ancient Greece and Rome

Queens English please. Remember we are the "Engl" in English. Also, it's spelled Theatre.

...you know I'm just messing with you :ph34r:
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

RMK

******note: cinemas shows films, theatres have a stage with live actors)

Bzzzt. Incorrect.

Definition of THEATER

Queens English please. Remember we are the "Engl" in English. Also, it's spelled Theatre.

...you know I'm just messing with you :ph34r:

I would rather speak the Kings English.

Does it change to kings English after she kicks over?

skymama

I haven't been to a theater to see a movie in a long time, but after reading about this and the purse searches in another thread, I think I'm really not going to a public theater anytime soon! No, I would not want to pre-pick my seat. That's just annoying.

And the small popcorn is now up to $6. Add a $5 small drink, and that's more than the cost of the movie ticket...

They are working towards driving away their customers.

Generally, the sound is so loud that I've taken to wearing earplugs wehnever I see a movie in the theater. Takes care of the nacho-types in one go.

I too prefer the comfort of my own home to the theater. I use Netflix. But (at least) one Dutch movie theater franchise (is that the correct term?) is experimenting with also renting out their films via Smart TV. might not be the very newest ones, but seems a good idea none the less.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

ryoder

Home theater?

Don't forget Security Theater.:P

Theater of operations. :P

Also, the local AMC started doing assigned seats and I have no problem with it whatsoever. If I know it's going to be a busy movie, I'll buy the tickets in advance and skip the lines, and still get the seats I want.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Baksteen

Generally, the sound is so loud that I've taken to wearing earplugs wehnever

Oh, sheesh! They pull that crap over there too! I figured it was a dumb American thing.

Last time I went to the Boulder theater, (and I do mean *last* time), it was to watch a newly released Warren Miller ski film. The imbeciles had the audio cranked up so loud that it was well up in to the distortion range on the amps. Half of the narration was so garbled it was unintelligible. I had not thought to bring earplugs, so I had to improvise with some rolled up pieces of paper.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

When I go to the movie theater, I only go after a movie has been there for weeks, and only the ones that have whatever captioning system is available. Pretty much guarantees that I have plenty of seats to pick from. And I eat before I go. Fuck the concessions.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

JohnMitchell

**** note: cinemas shows films, theatres have a stage with live actors)

Perhaps that's just another difference between "British" and "American". ;)

Subways have underground trains; tubes have toothpaste. :P

Subways have sandwiches, dummy.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom