oldwomanc6

What is the weirdest cult movie you have ever seen?

BillyVance

From Dusk Till Dawn (1996 version) with George Clooney, Harvey Keitel, Quentin Tarantino, aaaaand.... Salma Hayek in all her hotness.... >:(

I'd make a qualification on that. The only good parts are:
- Cheech Marin.:D
- Salma Hayek.:)
I spent the rest of the film wondering how long I had to wait until it was over.[:/]

NSFW:
Cheech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wup1cEdgOWs
Salma: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnJJ2fojawE
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

quade

***In Bruges. B|

"In Bruges" is cult?

SMH

Oh, hop off your fuckin' high horse, quade. I caveated the shit out of that post and acknowledged it didn't really belong here.

How about "In Bruges is not really a cult film, but hardly anyone's seen it so I'm going to talk about it anyway even though quade will probably look down his nose at me?" Better? :)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

NWFlyer

Better? :)

Calm down. The horse isn't nearly as high as the mountain you're making out of the mole hill.

Fact is, it was a main stream film for a main stream market. Subject line is "weirdest cult movie," not simply recommendations.

(Obviously I'm not only a horrible person, but also a horrible moderator for hoping just once a thread could actually stay on topic.)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

***Better? :)

Calm down. The horse isn't nearly as high as the mountain you're making out of the mole hill.

Fact is, it was a main stream film for a main stream market. Subject line is "weirdest cult movie," not simply recommendations.

(Obviously I'm not only a horrible person, but also a horrible moderator for hoping just once a thread could actually stay on topic.)

Narwhals - fucknyeah - Narwhals rock
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

quade

You've been around here long enough to know that ain't happening.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

format

There is a nasty hole in my mind, called Naked Lunch (1991)

I was reading the IMDB description, and noticed Roy Scheider was in it, and the first thing that popped into my head was:

"We're going to need a bigger roach trap."

:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

quade

...Fact is, it was a main stream film for a main stream market. Subject line is "weirdest cult movie," not simply recommendations.

So how would you define "cult movie"?

Some of them seem to be independent flicks, the the makers knew would never be big.
Others seem to be 'legit' movies, that their makers intended to be mainstream. They just didn't make it big for a variety of reasons (some marketing, some cultural, some just because the movie stunk).

And add "Dark City" to my list. Very strange, but very good. Critically acclaimed, box office dud. Saw that one in a theater with a date and we were the only ones there. Only time I've had that happen.
Of course, it had to be a movie that was interesting enough that I spent the whole time watching it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

quade

2 for 2 nice work:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

one was weird

the other cult

saw them Both the same night... double feature... A bunch of us from 3rd floor west , Harmon Hall....SUNY Brockport... piled into a few cars... headed out to see ...
Reefer Madness :o:S:S:P. which i found silly in the degree to which it went " over the top " ... Maniacal Piano Playing,,,,Crazed and Outta control behavior... ;) TOTAL Reckless Abandon :o:P:S

and FREAKS.....[:/] which was amazing ,, for each of the unique and personality - filled cast members...
Both films from maybe the 40s or the 50s.. Not sure. saw them in '71...:)

wolfriverjoe

So how would you define "cult movie"?

Taxonomy in films has a lot of overlap, but generally and classically would be defined as films of a controversial nature with a a strong fan following. The term was also used widely beginning in the '70s for underground and "midnight" movies like the "Rocky Horror Picture Show" (although the first definition predates the '70s by a good margin, yet RHPS easily satisfies both).

Now, I realize RHPS might now have attained considerably more main stream status over its 40 year run, but when it came out in 1975 it was controversial as hell.

Edited to add:

Maybe this will help.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_film
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

BillyVance

***Frankenhooker.
The title says it all!

I'm scared to even guess what the hooker looks like! :S:D

For fuck sake Billy, this makes me want to punch people in their fucking faces.>:(
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

JohnMitchell

***A boy and his dog. 70's

Oh yeah, with Don Johnson. Great flick.

One of my favorites, maybe not cult, but the MST 3000 riff on an old B&W 60's movie, The Skydivers. Horrible acting, terrible plot, some great jump footage. Woohoo! :)
I've only seen it once, in the theatre, just after a re- release, 35 years ago, but I do remember thinking to myself: :o

Now I want to watch it with the 2015 filter.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

JohnMitchell

One of my favorites, maybe not cult, but the MST 3000 riff on an old B&W 60's movie, The Skydivers. Horrible acting, terrible plot, some great jump footage. Woohoo! :)

Like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEHdnVTaFac&t=16m24s