Phillbo

No Chute 25K Jump....

There are only 1 of 3 outcomes from this;

1 -- He does it and lives and is a "hero."

2 -- He does it and does not live and everyone says, "well duh!"

3 -- He does what so many people have done before him and talks about it for years, gets money for appearances, continues to talk about it, makes more appearances and money, talks about it some more, the day of the event gets cancelled due to weather, he makes more appearances and money -- NEVER ACTUALLY MAKES THE JUMP.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

There are only 1 of 3 outcomes from this;

3 -- He does what so many people have done before him and talks about it for years, gets money for appearances, continues to talk about it, makes more appearances and money, talks about it some more, the day of the event gets cancelled due to weather, he makes more appearances and money -- NEVER ACTUALLY MAKES THE JUMP.

You forgot:

4 -- Some English bloke with a pile of cardboard boxes beats him to it.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Phillbo

I'm curious why the 25K exit? Time to adjust if his trajectory is off?

Dunno.

It's one of the goofier things about it.

He's certainly not going to get a more accurate spot from 25k.
He's certainly not going to be falling any faster than from 12.5k or 5k for that matter.

Maybe it just sounds good and impressive in the press releases?
Maybe he's hoping for a 2 minute long exit to bounce bit of drama?
Maybe he thinks since it's twice as high as skydivers normally jump people will think it's twice as . . . I'm not even sure what word I'm looking for here . . . "good"? "heroic"? "dangerous?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

ryoder

***There are only 1 of 3 outcomes from this;

You forgot:

And......
5. He does it and (regardless of outcome) some poor schlepp pilot losses his license. ;)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

skyjumpenfool

5. He does it and (regardless of outcome) some poor schlepp pilot losses his license. ;)

Right you are. It is a violation of Part 105. However, I'm sure Luke will get whatever waiver is needed for that. He's a pretty good planner. I'd like to be there when he does this jump. :)

JohnMitchell

Right you are. It is a violation of Part 105. However, I'm sure Luke will get whatever waiver is needed for that. He's a pretty good planner. I'd like to be there when he does this jump. :)
Or the jump wont be in good 'ol US of A...

JohnMitchell

Would it be?

Honest question.

If he goes out the door with no rig at all, then technically it isn't a "parachute jump." There's no parachute involved.

Alternatively, he could go out the door with a pilot rig (emergency bail out rig) because he isn't intending to use it.

91.15 (dropping objects) would still apply, but I would think that the time, effort and expense involved in constructing the thing he's landing on would demonstrate "reasonable care."
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

nickfrey

Or the jump wont be in good 'ol US of A...

I think they will be able to figure it out since almost everyone in that family seems to be a pilot or a skydiver:)

ryoder

You forgot:

But that guy had a rig on, didn't he?
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Niki1

You forgot:

Nope
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

You forgot:

Nope

That looks like a parachute to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEP8juRSBRo&t=1m24s
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Garry did a great job. And I was impressed. But I was just as impressed by the job the cameraman did . he got the shot and was dirty low when he pulled. :o

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Garry Connery did get some sort of waiver to use a one parachute system though, and wore that BASE rig. I don't know the Brit system, whether he had to go to the CAA (their FAA) or the BPA or both.

Red Bull never had any luck in the US asking for airshow demo waivers from the USPA, for low level openings operations, did they?
(It was unclear to me from DZ.com threads, whether the FAA really did want to see the USPAs reaction first or didn't want to be the one to refuse first, and sent the jumpers to the USPA. I certainly don't know the facts on that one.)