ryoder

The value of having a camera on a motor vehicle

Yes; my answer really wasn't complete without discussing subrogation, was it? I got so focused on John's small claims issue that I forgot to mention the subrogation angle, so thanks for the reminder. I'll fill-in that additional info now.

To John Mitchell: Reach out to your insurance company and see if they intend to pursue subrogation (recovery from the other driver of the claim they paid to you). If so, you have to cooperate with it, but in most states (I didn't research WA state) your ins co also has to pursue the entire claim, and then if it recovers, it pays you the amount you lost on the deductible. Warning: your policy prohibits you from taking any action that might compromise your ins co's subrogation rights, so check with your ins co first before filing suit; and if you do file suit, you may need to file for the entire amount of damages; then if you win more than your deductible, that overage has to be turned over to your ins co.

In other words, don't file in small claims court for just the $1500 deductible until/unless your ins co expressly authorizes you to do so in writing, in response to a letter from you explaining your situation and asking them for their advice and approvals. (Or, just turn the matter over to a WA lawyer and let him/her communicate with your ins co.)

Coordinate anything/everything you do closely with your ins co - in advance! - to avoid running afoul of your duties under the policy. The last thing you want is to (ironically) get sued by your own ins co because they think you screwed up their subrogation claim against the other driver.

If that's still clear as mud, consult with a WA lawyer. Our babies need new shoes, too. ;)

I actually have have a home damage case I'd like to collect on, not an auto accident, but I think your advice holds. I don't think my insurance company intends to pursue it, but I'll check with them first. Personally, I'm out $1000 in deductibles plus time and mileage. The latter two I'd be glad to drop, but $1K is a fair amount of jumps and beer. ;)

Remster

You need to post the video link in the comments, Mr Celebrity... ;-)

When I talked to the reporter, she was needing to check with their attorney dept about posting the link. I suspect because the video showed the guy, and the description has the docket number and link to look it up his name, their attorney advised against it.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

DSE

The Replay Prime is a tad better for this, and it can be configured to start/stop when you start/stop the bike (used by LEO).

www.replayxd.com

It's what I use on my bike too, but don't have it configured for auto/on/off

The Replay Prime X is working pretty good, but I need to adjust the audio gain a bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-JuKeO23wM>:(

Just submitted this to my local PD.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I love when fucktards get what they deserve!

I have a dashcam in my car. If i ever do catch anything i need to submit as evidence, i have a feeling i'll be made fun of for the music i'm listening to...:P

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

ryoder

***The Replay Prime is a tad better for this, and it can be configured to start/stop when you start/stop the bike (used by LEO).

www.replayxd.com

It's what I use on my bike too, but don't have it configured for auto/on/off

The Replay Prime X is working pretty good, but I need to adjust the audio gain a bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-JuKeO23wM>:(

Just submitted this to my local PD.

"You better be sorry"

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:or what, you'll beat him up, you'll lecture him until he breaks down in tears. You'll let him know you've got a camera and you're not afraid to use it?
:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:YOU BETTER BE:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

headoverheels

***The Clear Creek Courant is the local paper of Clear Creek County: http://www.clearcreekcourant.com/content/motorcyclists-video-lands-suv-driver-souvenir-summons

Anything ever happen with this?

Arraignment rescheduled to Oct 20, 2015.

ryoder

******The Clear Creek Courant is the local paper of Clear Creek County: http://www.clearcreekcourant.com/content/motorcyclists-video-lands-suv-driver-souvenir-summons

Anything ever happen with this?

Arraignment rescheduled to Oct 20, 2015.

Now if only people had cameras when they jump out of planes.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Oh, this is a beaut!
Yesterday I was buzzed within inches by a car while I was cycling.
Today I submitted it to the Close Call Database.
Video and description here: http://closecalldatabase.com/incident/show-detail/331/

A couple hours later got a response from the site owner, including:

"Did you notice that his mirror is already folded in?"

I had not noticed that, but he is right.
This asshole *plans* for buzzing cyclists!>:(

ETA Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF8tJC7LBnM
I didn't realize the CCDB required a login.

Closeup of mirror attached.

BillyVance

I can see the tag easily in the video... 915 XXG Right?

Right.
The original video is a HELL of a lot sharper than it is after Youtube mangles...errr...*processes* it.
I included the details in the full description on Youtube.

"Did you notice that his mirror is already folded in?"

I had not noticed that, but he is right.
This asshole *plans* for buzzing cyclists!Mad

It probably got folded in from striking another cyclist before you.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I will never understand the anger that prompts some cage drivers to *intentionally* almost KILL YOU just because you are on a bike... :|:S

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Update on the case:
The arraignment originally scheduled for Sept, was rescheduled for Oct, and when I checked last week, it is now rescheduled for Dec 1, and instead of "arraignment", it is now shown as "pre-trial conference".

I called the court office to ask what this meant, and apparently he has hired a lawyer. At least it is good to know it is costing him money.

That asshole should get two counts of attempted murder.
And he better never have a drivers license again, but hopefully will be in a place he couldn't use one anyway.

BTW I am adding mounts to my motorcycle and bicycle for a rear-facing camera. (Car already has one). I've had assholes deliberately swerve within inches of the bicycle about 4 times this year, and it is hard to prove it was deliberate with only the forward camera. A rear camera will show the swerve.

ryoder

I've had assholes deliberately swerve within inches of the bicycle about 4 times this year, and it is hard to prove it was deliberate with only the forward camera. A rear camera will show the swerve.

I hope you can send an @$$hole or two to jail for that, and that it makes national news. WTF is wrong with drivers that they would do that? :S[:/]

My old neighborhood had a great bike trail, physically separated from car traffic. My new neighborhood has bike lines painted on the side of the road. I spend much time cruising on the empty sidewalks because of idiot drivers like those. [:/]

Odd thing is I've been cycling 4000-5000 miles/year living in the same area for the last 15 years, and I don't recall ever having idiots buzz me within inches until this year. In past years I've been harassed by hicks a few times in the mtn canyons, but never deliberately endangered by them.

ryoder

Odd thing is I've been cycling 4000-5000 miles/year living in the same area for the last 15 years, and I don't recall ever having idiots buzz me within inches until this year. In past years I've been harassed by hicks a few times in the mtn canyons, but never deliberately endangered by them.

Maybe they are getting to know you.:o:D:D:P
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun