ryoder

The value of having a camera on a motor vehicle

ryoder

Just got off the phone with the deputy;

He got sidetracked with another investigation, but will be filing the paperwork today:

1. Passing where prohibited.
2. Reckless driving (mandatory court appearance).

And yes, JohnnyMarko, he is from California.:D

I FUCKING KNEW IT!

ryoder

Just got off the phone with the deputy;

He got sidetracked with another investigation, but will be filing the paperwork today:

1. Passing where prohibited.
2. Reckless driving (mandatory court appearance).

And yes, JohnnyMarko, he is from California.:D

I was kinda hoping he was from Texas. Probably cost more to fly back to CO from TX than CA? Oh well, he'll still shell out some moolah defending the charges any way you look at it. B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Andy9o8

***The deputy mentioned three possible charges;
Improper passing, reckless driving, (and I forgot the third one).

Littering. And creating a nuisance.

That'll put him on the Group W bench for sure.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

jackwallace

Well here's how I see it: Our hero and his wife (after speaking to their lawyer) were out for a leisure drive in the mountains when this long haired, bearded, dirty biker, flipped them off and make obscene gestures to his wife. In fear of their lives they sped past him (they saw something that looked like a thermal nuclear device in his hand) and escaped. Putting several vehicles behind them they had to pull over. In shock. All of a sudden the Mad Max of Co pulls up and once again tries to attack them. They speed off to safely.

I think judges have a pretty good bullshit radar when it comes to stuff like this... In fact, I recently went to court and on the basis that the other guy was an asshat the judge awarded me an extra €1,000 I didn't even ask for. Why specifically?? Reckon it's something to do with the time and energy and hassle of getting my bike fixed (and also she probably didn't appreciate *her* time being wasted by the guy doing everything he could to delay procedures, etc.).

Hope the guy gets what he deserves... It's one thing to do a dangerous manoeuvre... It's another not to take responsibility for and/or realise the risks he is taking with other peoples' lives. Asshole needs a wake-up call.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I couldn't find the clip on youtube, but I thought of Mrs Houk, the old lady from the movie Moving Violations, where she's drunk and blurts out "yeah! Fuck him! Rip his balls off!"

:D

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Wish I had the time to pursue this stuff.
I've got a laptop full of dangerous, illegal maneuvers that I've filmed from my truck.
I won't pull out of the driveway without video cameras on.
I've got the truck/trailer set up 360*.
In cab aimed out front, mirrors - down both sides, and the back of trailer.
I don't miss a thing.
I'd recommend everyone get a camera. They're cheap enough and can save you all kinds of trouble.
Great job capturing this. The trouble it's going to cause them couldn't happen to a nicer couple.

Oh? An India native or ethnic Indian? Hmmm.... I did a search on the name and California, and several showed up

You think his wife is also Indian? Could that be why you couldn't make out what she was screaming? :D

BillyVance

Oh? An India native or ethnic Indian? Hmmm.... I did a search on the name and California, and several showed up

You think his wife is also Indian? Could that be why you couldn't make out what she was screaming? :D

I thought I'd mentioned that I thought they were Indian. Both were dark-complected and dark-haired, and she was dressed in what looked like an ethnic Indian style. The deputy was cagey about giving me much info, but did comment they had lived in this country for 16 years. Or as the deputy put it: "Long enough to know the traffic laws in this country.";)

This morning I submitted a request to the DA's office for the police report.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

******Update:
A deputy just called me.
It was a rental car.
They talked to the rental company and ID'd the driver.
He is still in state and will be getting a ticket.

Does the sheriff's dept have a copy of your video? You just know you'd want to see the look on the douchebag's face go from indignation to .... when they show it to him to rebut his denials. :D

Friggin' Youtube doesn't allow resubmitting a video, so I loaded a second version with more footage before/after the second illegal pass. This is the one I gave the sheriff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbIhrsL6JXY

A couple things I learned sitting in court for a week in April:
1. Youtube video *can* be submitted as evidence.
2. Video evidence can only be admitted in court if the photographer is sworn in as a witness.

So the deputy first asked if I would be willing to appear in court. Be a vengeful SOB who holds a grudge when an idiot tries to kill me, of course I answered: "I'd love to go to court!">:(

And the fact that the idiot will need to fly back in from out-of-state if he wants to contest it, makes it even better.>:(

A small adjustment to your statement.... photos and video are generally admissible as evidence if a witness can testify that the media depicts the situation as it was at the time indicated. Meaning anyhone who was there and witnessed the events or circumstances can attest to the accuracy of the media and get it admitted as evidence.

David

ETA: Watched the video. Who ignores an approaching motorist and gets into their vehicle without acknowleding the person? My answer: a jerk who knows exactly what you want to discuss and doesn't care that they are a jerk. Anyone with a clear conscience would have stopped entering the car to see what the motorcyclist was stopping for.

Kudos for keeping your cool and riding away. I'm afraid I would have gone off on the rude bastard. dwj
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I just now found an interesting vmail: The Clear Creek Sheriff has been contacted by a reporter from the Clear Creek Courant, wanting my contact info to do a story on it. So they are asking if it is OK to pass my info along to the reporter.B|

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

I just now found an interesting vmail: The Clear Creek Sheriff has been contacted by a reporter from the Clear Creek Courant, wanting my contact info to do a story on it. So they are asking if it is OK to pass my info along to the reporter.B|

is this how you want to use up the rest of your 15min
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Caution: some people might read my post as racist.

TYPICAL!
Canada got first choice of immigrants while California was forced to take the left-overs.

Judging by that (rude driver's) family name, size and skin colour, he comes from the Punjab region of Northern India and Pakistan. Punjab means: 5 rivers, so for centuries the Punjab was the bread basket of the Indian subcontinent. Punjabis tend to be farmers: better fed, bigger, stronger, brighter and more ambitious than the average Indian or Pakistani.
About 400 years ago, Punjabis tired of oppressive moslem rule and revolted by creating their own Sikh religion. IOW Sikhs have been fighting Al Queda, for the past 4 centuries.

From a distance Sikh values are almost identical to the Scottish Protestant work ethic. Much of the British Empire (e.g. Canada) was built by Scots.
Those long agricultural and military traditions mean that Sikhs make great soldiers, policemen and drivers. Sikhs comprise an unusually large proportion of the ranks of the Indian Army, Air Force, etc.

Sikhs have been immigrating ot Canada for more than a century now. Initially they worked in logging and farming, but started driving professionally shortly after the automobile was invented. Large numbers of Sikhs drive commercially in Vancouver. 3/4 of Vancouver taxi drivers are Sikhs, along with 20 or 30 percent of the bus drivers. When I say that Vancouver Sikhs drive professionally, I mean that they know the rules, are aware of other traffic and rarely cut off other drivers.

IOW sounds like the good Sikh drivers moved to Vancouver, while the dregs moved to California.

To the OP, this rude driver needs to be "outed" in court, newspapers, etc. His skin colour is irrelevant.

Squeak

***I just now found an interesting vmail: The Clear Creek Sheriff has been contacted by a reporter from the Clear Creek Courant, wanting my contact info to do a story on it. So they are asking if it is OK to pass my info along to the reporter.B|

is this how you want to use up the rest of your 15min
:D

Keyboard spit!
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

ryoder

I thought about passing the video off to a local news contact in Denver, but figured I'd leave ya some privacy.

Just got a copy of the police report.
This part is priceless:
(Names changed to protect the guilty).

I contacted S****'s phone with the help of Dispatch and contacted his wife, unknown name DOB. I informed her the reason I was contacting her husband and she said "The man on the bike" was following and harassing them.

S**** called me back about 30 minutes later and stated he did not do anything the video showed. He stated Y**** was following them and harassing them on every stop. I asked S**** why he stopped if he was scared of Y**** and he stated he was just trying to relax on his vacation. S**** stated numerous times that he did not drink alcohol and that he had a good driving record. I told him about the video and emailed it to him. S**** stated Y**** could have easily edited the video. I asked S**** his thoughts on why Y**** would do that and why he would take his own time to go to court. I explained to him that Y**** was very upset at what he did and that the video was edited to shorten the time. I told S**** the video showing his driving actions was evident a crime did occur and that I believed the video was not edited during these times. S**** still denied the allegations and continued to say his driving record was great and that he did not drink alcohol. I explained that I would mail him a uniform summons to appear in court on this matter and would send it to his address on his driver's license (DL). S**** said his address on his DL was current and up to date.

Oh, I am soooo hoping he pleads "not-guilty" at the arraignment.>:(

JohnMitchell

Not too long ago, one of my daughters had her car totaled and minor injuries when a teenage driver turned left in front of her. My daughter, of course, had a green light to go straight ahead and the teenage girl had a flashing yellow arrow. But the girl's mom showed up and coached her to lie and say she had a green arrow. To the cop that came, there was enough doubt he didn't issue a ticket.

Our daughter's insurance paid what the car was "worth", not what was owed, and didn't compensate our daughter for injuries, medical bills and time lost from work.

The cop isn't a judge, and the criminal standards for a ticket are higher than civil. The lack of a ticket shouldn't prevent you and your insurance company from pursuing further relief from the offending party. But it might be that the legal costs and uncertainty are too high without any proof.

chedlin

***Not too long ago, one of my daughters had her car totaled and minor injuries when a teenage driver turned left in front of her. My daughter, of course, had a green light to go straight ahead and the teenage girl had a flashing yellow arrow. But the girl's mom showed up and coached her to lie and say she had a green arrow. To the cop that came, there was enough doubt he didn't issue a ticket.

Our daughter's insurance paid what the car was "worth", not what was owed, and didn't compensate our daughter for injuries, medical bills and time lost from work.

The cop isn't a judge, and the criminal standards for a ticket are higher than civil. The lack of a ticket shouldn't prevent you and your insurance company from pursuing further relief from the offending party. But it might be that the legal costs and uncertainty are too high without any proof.

Thanks for that advice. She was shorted maybe $1500 between insurance payout and what she owed on the car. So, yeah, it probably wouldn't be worth it, except maybe in the small claims venue.

JohnMitchell

******Not too long ago, one of my daughters had her car totaled and minor injuries when a teenage driver turned left in front of her. My daughter, of course, had a green light to go straight ahead and the teenage girl had a flashing yellow arrow. But the girl's mom showed up and coached her to lie and say she had a green arrow. To the cop that came, there was enough doubt he didn't issue a ticket.

Thanks for that advice. She was shorted maybe $1500 between insurance payout and what she owed on the car. So, yeah, it probably wouldn't be worth it, except maybe in the small claims venue.

$1500? Yeah, that's low-ish to engage an attorney. Still, though, a small general law office, especially a newer solo practitioner, might be willing to put a few hours of time in exchange for a guaranteed (i.e., not contingency) fee of, say, about $500. Which is worth it if you win $1000. But are you willing to part with that $500 if you lose? Anyhow, might be worth it to have a sit-down with a lawyer; initial consults like that are usually free.

Alternative #2: It's not unusual for a lawyer get a prospective client who wants to take something to small claims court, but the amount at issue is simply too low to make it practical (to either lawyer or client) to hire a lawyer. What I'll sometimes do is offer them a 1 hour office session, at an affordable fee, in which I'll take the client through the hash, go thru everything, coach them on how to handle the case in small claims court, give 'em a few tricks up their sleeve to anticipate and handle this or that curve that might get thrown at them, etc., etc. Then they're more prepared (and thus confident) than just winging it like a layperson, but they don't incur much of a legal fee. I've had a number of clients that have been quite happy with that.