promise5

I think I was scammed by a computer tech

Ok I'm sure I was. Bought a new lapto a week ago, just turned it on last night. Started surfing the web and it started acting glitchy so I called the 800 number that popped up that said my laptop had been compromised.
Level 1 tech said it was to advanced for him and transferred me to a level 3 tech who transferred me to a level 5 tech because my laptop was that screwed up. Yeah, I know I should have realized something was up, but they were so NICE and even talked about all the horrible scammers that are out there. Well 45 minutes later and 99$ poorer and yeah my laptop is still screwed up.
No I didn't give them all my info. I use a pre-pay card for most online stuff unless I've ordered through the site before.

I'll probably chuck this one and order an apple MacBook.
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

Dear Andreya:

Good day

Private Message to you,

This is an important message to you.The lord directs me to share this with you. As you read the mail, you should sympathize with my current situation and assist me. My name is Isabella Carmel the only survivor from family of four. I was narrowly escaped from the tsunami disaster which affected my spinal cord and also my ear drum and claim the lifes of my entire family, husband (Denis caromel) and two sons (Ugo and Tom) who went for holidays in Sri-Lanka.

Right now I am currently in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia. After staying a week in my family hospital, I was disabled by the catastrophe and now on a wheel cheer after all the treatment.This has defiled all forms of medicine and right now I have only about a few months to live, according to medical experts.I have not lived my life so well as my primary interest and focus was only on my late fathers business. Though my father is very rich and was never generous. But now I regret all this, as I know that there is more in life than just wanting to have or make all the money in the world.The bible says what shall it profit a man to wine the whole world and loose his soul. I believe when God gives me a second chance to come to this world I will live my life a different way from how I have lived before. I have willed and given most of my fathers properties to the less privileges because I want God to be merciful to me and accept my soul. I have decided to give arms to charity organizations and give succor and comfort to the less privileged in our societies. I want this to be one of the last good deeds I do on earth since my father has never recognized that.

So far I have to distribute money to charity organizations now that my health has deteriorated so badly,I cannot do this myself anymore that is why am soliciting your assistant to make this donation through you. The last of my late fathers money that am willing to donate to the less privileged right now is the huge sum of $10.6M USD that is concealed in a consignment and deposited in (OVERSEA CREDIT COMMISSION ABROAD) for safekeeping which he intends to invest on profitable factory.

I want you to help me claim this funds where is deposited and disburse it to charity organizations and the less privileged in the society.Please I will appreciate you to indicate interest for the disbursement and also include your contact telephone/fax numbers that I will forward to the(OVERSEA CREDIT COMMISSION ABROAD) to be able to contact you as the appointed beneficiary. I will provide you the certificate of deposit and the letter of authority to enable you claim the consignment of the funds.

If you are willing and ready to assist with this project,please e-mail me at [email protected] without delay, while I wait to hear from you.Thanks once again for your kindness may God guide and reward you in all your endeavors as you make me realize my last dreams and wishes.

Remain blessed,
Mrs. Isabella Caromel

You don't understand !! They sounded totally legit!!! Who talks to someone for 45 minutes just to scam them ??? I mean ok yes they did but still they really made sense about what the stupid laptop was doing !!!
Believe me I tried.

promise5

You don't understand !! They sounded totally legit!!! Who talks to someone for 45 minutes just to scam them ??? I mean ok yes they did but still they really made sense about what the stupid laptop was doing !!!

Uhh... that's about $133 per hour. I'll talk to you about anything you want for that price. Would you like my number too?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

promise5

Ok I'm sure I was. Bought a new laptop a week ago, just turned it on last night. Started surfing the web and it started acting glitchy so I called the 800 number that popped up that said my laptop had been compromised.

I've see a computer virus on PCs that will pop-up an 800 number when you are surfing. I removed such a virus from a friend's computer. Where did you buy this computer? Was it pre-owned or from the factory?

Alan

I thought it was new but now I think it was pre owned,from what they found. It's a headache!! I've orders a Mac and I'll drop this one off at the tech store if they can fix it or whatever and then I don't know dump it.
Believe me I tried.

promise5

I thought it was new but now I think it was pre owned,from what they found. It's a headache!! I've orders a Mac and I'll drop this one off at the tech store if they can fix it or whatever and then I don't know dump it.

You still haven't figured out the scam. You are talking about what "they" found, meaning the "helpful tech"? What happened is that somehow your computer got a virus. The virus made it run slow and act strange, like it is supposed to do. Then the virus makes a "helpful 800 number message" come up. The reason they know what is happening when you call them is that they are the ones causing the problem. You pay them some money and they tell you how to "fix" it. In a few days it will start acting up again and give you more messages about "infections" and tell you to call the 800 number again. Then they will start round two of the cash removal scheme on you because they now know you are a sucker.

The best fix would be a clean install of the of the operating system on a completely wiped hard drive, followed by installation of Microsoft Defender, or whatever they are calling their free security program now. You don't need to buy anything. But what the hell, you'll love the Mac.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Had a similar experience a few years ago with my desktop. Something hijacked my computer and I couldn't do anything when that goddamned security pop-up message showed. That's why I got on here asking questions before I did anything. I got the answers I needed, and presto, I took care of the problem.

Next time, trust dropzone.com. Especially the Bonfire people. We come from all walks of life. There's bound to be someone that can help you, or at least point you in the right direction.

;)

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

Had a similar experience a few years ago with my desktop. Something hijacked my computer and I couldn't do anything when that goddamned security pop-up message showed. That's why I got on here asking questions before I did anything. I got the answers I needed, and presto, I took care of the problem.

Next time, trust dropzone.com. Especially the Bonfire people. We come from all walks of life. There's bound to be someone that can help you, or at least point you in the right direction.

;)

Yes, yes, yes . . . She should trust me.>:(
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I have a similar story with HP. I did a softwear upgrade recommended by them and started having trouble. Called the bastards and, after signing up for a $99 service plan, HP talked me thru the fix. I've had problems since but know how to do it myself now. [:/]

No, I'm not the most tech savvy guy. . . :S

From your description it sounds like this virus.

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-1-800-virus/

They call the virus the "1-800 Tech Support Scam" on this page. The instructions show how to remove it, but they virus keep changing, so I wouldn't follow these instructions too closely. Or even try to remove it yourself.

These things are not easy to remove. (I've done it).

If you have a computer store that offers such support try that.

But in general virus like this are a strong argument for getting a Mac instead of a PC.

Yeah, some of those scammers can be quite sneaky.

Sorry you got stuck, if you or anyone else here has some weird PC issues going on, send me a message and I can try to help you out.

I think I have enough references that would say my (free) work is well worth what you pay. :P

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

theonlyski

Yeah, some of those scammers can be quite sneaky.

Sorry you got stuck, if you or anyone else here has some weird PC issues going on, send me a message and I can try to help you out.

I think I have enough references that would say my (free) work is well worth what you pay. :P

Did you stop working for cookies?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

turtlespeed

***Yeah, some of those scammers can be quite sneaky.

Did you stop working for cookies?

:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

normiss

Is that what the kids are calling it these days?
:P:D:)

I know a chick in Florida that "supposedly" gives good cookies.

turtlespeed

***Is that what the kids are calling it these days?
:P:D:)

I know a chick in Florida that "supposedly" gives good cookies.

I spent a couple weeks on her couch. Unfortunately there has not been a "cookie" delivery in well over a couple of years. [:/]
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message