RMK

The BBQ thread

GoHuskers

mop with Sweet Baby Ray's

I Googled "Sweet Baby Rays" and it sounds pretty good from the reviews. I see they are to begin selling it in the UK soon: http://www.sweetbabyrays.co.uk/

My wife is Los Angeles this week and I'm having her being me some back. Any other sauces/marinades that anyone would suggest and can be bought in Los Angeles? (Yes I realise LA is not exactly the home of pit cooked BBQ)
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

maxmadmax

I'll fire up a pit and see what happens this weekend.
Will post a few pics.

Send some my way . . . I need some real BBQ! This upper Midwest shite sucks.

If I wanted sweet tea in my sauce, I'd put it in there.:S
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

***I'll fire up a pit and see what happens this weekend.
Will post a few pics.

WTF??? :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

******I'll fire up a pit and see what happens this weekend.
Will post a few pics.

I'm guessing they sugar the hell out of the barbecue sauce.
That is the case with the ribs I buy at the local grocery when they are on sale.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

BillyVance

******I'll fire up a pit and see what happens this weekend.
Will post a few pics.

The sauce up here tastes like . . . Well, imagine bbq syrup.:|

One serving could but 3 people in a diabetic coma.

Ok, maybe this is more imaginable, take some grocery store brand bbq sauce, and add equal amounts of corn syrup to it, mix well and then water it down.

Mm mm yum. NOT
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Anyone have any tips/recipe for corn-on-the-cob on the grill?

Grilling this evening and have some corn to use up. I'm usually a purist and just steam corn.

RMK

Anyone have any tips/recipe for corn-on-the-cob on the grill?

Grilling this evening and have some corn to use up. I'm usually a purist and just steam corn.

For one ear:

Two layers of Ah-loom-ah-num foil.:)

1.5 teaspoons of butter (the real stuff)
Sprinkle minced garlic (1/2 teaspoon )
Lightly sea salt to taste
Fresh black pepper to taste

Wrap them suckers up and toss 'em on the grill, turning frequently.

You can take some strips of bell peppers, or jalapeño peppers and put them in with the butter if you want more flavor or spicyness. If you want a lot of spice, drop in some habeneros with pimentos.

Sounds good; will give it a try and take the ears out of the foil for last minute or so and put directly on grill for a light carmelising.

Unfortunately, they don't sell the foil you mentioned here; just ah-loo-mini-yum foil (but I suppose it will serve as a suitable substitute. ;)

RMK

Sounds good; will give it a try and take the ears out of the foil for last minute or so and put directly on grill for a light carmelising.

Unfortunately, they don't sell the foil you mentioned here; just ah-loo-mini-yum foil (but I suppose it will serve as a suitable substitute. ;)

Save the butter any juices and drizzle over top, or drizzle over bread - yum.

Leave the husk on the corn. Open the end and remove the corn silk, then reclose the end. Soak the corn in water for 5 minutes. Shake corn to remove excess water. Throw on the grill. The corn first steams, then as the husk final starts to burn, it gives the corn a nice char.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

justme12001

leave the husks on, remove the silk, but instead of water I like to use melted butter, garlic and salt

The water just delays the husk burning, Adding the flavor enhancers in the husk is a great idea.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I learned an amazing way of shucking corn after it's been cooked. Don't peel from the top like a banana. Using a knife, cut off the bottom of the cob, where it grew from the stalk. Using a hot pad or towel, grab the husks and silks at the top and shake the corn on the cob out the bottom. Just about every silk will stay in your hand as the corn slides out the bottom.

Not exactly BBQ, but cooking-related nonetheless:

During a recent home move, I’ve unbelievably lost my flat cast iron skillet. Whereas I can go to the shops and buy new fancy high-end cookware, these are different in that I’ve got to start all over to “season” the skillet to get that nice shiny seasoned surface.

Years ago, I remember coating it with oil and heating in the oven for hours (repeatedly): but what is the best type of oil to season the pan first time? There seems to be divergent opinions on choice of seasoning oil.

one of these (attached pic)...

Almost any saturated fat will do the trick.

Don't use an unsaturated fat (Veg oil of any sort ), as it will go rancid on you.

Lard is a good one, and neutral tasting. Bacon fat is another good one, but it's bacony. Coconut oil is a good one if you have to have veg, not animal based. It won't be as durable a seasoning, but will not go rancid like other vegetable oils.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9