RMK

The BBQ thread

I’ve gotten some good use out my of my grill this summer; with a couple more months of BBQ weather to go. Growing up in the American south, I’m a BBQ aficionado.

On these forums, I often deride “Dixie Land”, but will admit you are the BBQ masters. It is actually painful to watch your average Brit using a grill; I’m usually the designated griller or I just politely say “hand me those tongs and grab yourself a drink”.

Let’s hear some of your best recipes/marinades/rubs...
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

Sorry; impolite to not go first myself. Here’s my secret Cajun blackening mix that I use for both the grill or indoors on a seasoned cast iron skillet.

When I stay at hotels, I always take the complimentary plastic shower caps to use to cover the smoke alarms in my kitchen when blackening – it will always set them off.

Cajun Blackening Mix

1.5 tsp. cayenne pepper
1.0 tsp. salt
2.0 tsp. black pepper
1.0 tbl. dried thyme
0.5 tsp. garlic powder
0.5 tsp. onion powder
0.5 tsp. paprika

I use a Big Green Egg and love it. Living in Florida I grill most every week. Love low and slow cooks, but this is really great steak recipe. It is hot searing followed by a softer finish.

Apply Dizzy Pig Cow Lick rub (or Montreal Seasoning) generously to one side of the steak. Wait 10 minutes for rub to adhere and then flip and repeat.

Stabilize grill at about 650. Of course cook time will vary with different grills and steak size, but I find 2 minutes on each side works nicely. bring down the temp to around 400-450, or move steaks away from hot coals, and finish to desired doneness. I like a very pink center so it is 2 more minutes per side.

If interested I can give you a reverse sear recipe for chicken that is awesome. Best book I have found is Smoking Meat by Jeff Phillips.

RMK

Sorry; impolite to not go first myself. Here’s my secret Cajun blackening mix that I use for both the grill or indoors on a seasoned cast iron skillet.

When I stay at hotels, I always take the complimentary plastic shower caps to use to cover the smoke alarms in my kitchen when blackening – it will always set them off.

Cajun Blackening Mix

1.5 tsp. cayenne pepper
1.0 tsp. salt
2.0 tsp. black pepper
1.0 tbl. dried thyme
0.5 tsp. garlic powder
0.5 tsp. onion powder
0.5 tsp. paprika

I subscribe to KISS. Tri Tip on the grill last nite. Oak and mesquite. Coarse ground pepper and italian dressing. Killer.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

none of that gourmet type crap is BBQ..:S:S:S

Heat up a flat bit of metal and throw on some snags and steak, a chicken breast for the diet conscious some onion rings and field mushies.
Slap all that shit on some burger buns and
Bon Apafuckinteet.

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

STEAK
Sear on both sides
Beer pour to cool it off quickly so as not to overcook.
Grill to Medium Rare
Pat of butter
Dash of sea salt & pepper

CHICKEN
Inject breasts with butter
Rotisserie
Lazy Susan filled with spices so folks can season to taste.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Man I have been wanting a big green egg. I've had some stuff cooked on one.and it was awesome . But the green egg is a little spendy
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Squeak

none of that gourmet type crap is BBQ..:S:S:S

Heat up a flat bit of metal and throw on some snags and steak, a chicken breast for the diet conscious some onion rings and field mushies.
Slap all that shit on some burger buns and
Bon Apafuckinteet.

And it ain't a BBQ if it ain't cooked over wood or coals, Propane tastes like shit.

Gone fishing

Zep

it ain't a BBQ if it ain't cooked over wood or coals

Yes, must admit proper charcoal is the best. However, as I live in London, disposing of hot coals is not as easy as out in the countryside, so opt for a large 4-burner Outback gas grill - you can get 90-95% of the same results as charcoal - but yes wood/charcoal does add that little extra.

normiss

I stopped doing that years ago.
I don't like the rubbery chicken skin, too much risk of undercooking, and no way it steams.
:P

I must be doing it wrong. I never eat the skin and the bird is never under cooked or dry.
Always moist and a crowd favor.

akarunway

***I think a reposting is in order: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY

I miss Ivan. [:/]http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1624453;search_string=ivan;#1624453

Some things deserve a reposting, e.g. the Danish washing machine commercial.:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

you can't make barbecue unless you have a pit. now that barbecue pit can be as simple as a hole in the ground .or many thousands of dollars trailer. you can use all the fancy wood .or charcoal you want to .but it still Grilling unless you have a pit.:P

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Thanksgiving Turkey:

1) Buy Pre-Brined Turkey
2) Peel off Skin 24 hours before cook (this allows smoke to penetrate deep into the meat instead of creating a dense, acrid smoke on the skin)
3) Inject Turkey with: Diced Jalepenos, mustard, diced onions in 3-4 sticks of butter sautee
4) Basic rub (3/4 Cup Paprika, handful of seasalt, 1/3 cup pepper, 1/3 cup brown sugar, and 2 tablespoons of salt lick rub) right before bedtime

Morning:
5) 10-15 charcoal briquettes in my smokey mountain weber till grey
6) Put an aluminum pan with oak wood on the charcoal for 3-5 hours (pan lets the wood smoke without catching fire). (Use another grill to add charcoal briquettes, keep the temp as low of you can as long as lots of wood smoke is being produced.)
7) Put quart of apple juice in the water pan fill the rest with water and add turkey (meat smoking at cold temperature accepts smoke better)
8) Remove turkey about 4-4.5 hours before dinner, bring temp to 350 using oak lump charcoal
9) Put turkey back on with fresh water pan, coat turkey with a light butter mop
10) When its 10-15 degrees away from being done, mop with Sweet Baby Ray's (you want about 30 minutes for the mop to carmelize)
11) Keep turkey on until it comes up to temperature
12) Let sit until you can handle the meat, also take pictures and text to your brothers, don't forget to gloat:P
13) Remove the meat in full sections, breasts, hind quarters etc.
14) Make cuts from the surface of the meat inwards so each slice served has the same amount of smoke flavor.

Leftovers: Smoked meat gets smokier being in the fridge so plan on the smoke flavor getting better on day 2, best at day 3, then starts to be overwhelming. Start giving co-workers/friends/dogs leftovers on day 3.

It takes a long time and its mostly monitoring, aka Call of Duty;)

Depends on the size. I have a medium and it was about $800. But you will never have to replace it. I have gone thru, and cooked the bottom out of, a bunch of various grills. I finally just decided to make the leap about 2 years ago and never wished I hadn't. I can fire it up at 10 PM, settle the temperature, and do a low and slow pork shoulder all night long. When I get up the next morning the temp is right where it should be. I usually wrap the shoulder in foil for a few more hours, rest it in a cooler for another hour, and it just falls apart. All night cook and never added anymore lump charcoal.