promise5

Isn't it gorgeous !!!

BillyVance

Yeah... when cars look like ants, PULL!!

When you see people walking on the ground, PULL SILVER IMMEDIATELY!!!

:S:D

Just after getting I think my C-license (could've been B), when my BSR pull altitude changed to something like 2,500, I decided to try and calibrate my MK-1 eyeball to the new altitude. I learned that if I can correctly identify my truck in the parking lot, it's roughly time to pull. Then I realized that was not a wise idea and started pulling higher.

Then I went to the AFF-I course with my slow opening canopy. That also turned out to be an unwise choice.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

theonlyski

***Yeah... when cars look like ants, PULL!!

:S:D

Just after getting I think my C-license (could've been B), when my BSR pull altitude changed to something like 2,500, I decided to try and calibrate my MK-1 eyeball to the new altitude. I learned that if I can correctly identify my truck in the parking lot, it's roughly time to pull. Then I realized that was not a wise idea and started pulling higher.

Then I went to the AFF-I course with my slow opening canopy. That also turned out to be an unwise choice.

I used to be a 2000 ft puller. Every jump. Then one day I was doing a 12 way with guys that averaged 3000 jumps each or thereabouts and I asked the LO what the break off was, he said 2,500. I looked at him for a bit as if he wasnt serious. :|:S Well, sure enough he was and the dive went great until about 2750 or so and it funneled. So everybody's trying to get their bearings and haul ass outta there and I've got one guy below me and I'm holding my pilot chute in my hand (already pulled) and waited for him to pull and clear me, then I let go.

Was sitting in the saddle and felt a pop on my back. Quick look back, oh shit, grabbed cutaway and chopped the main before the reserve came out of the d-bag. :S:$

Yeah I started pulling at 2500 after that... Though the last few years its been more like 3000.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

AAD is indeed a present that says LOVE!
Somebody wants to see you live a long life in skydiving.

When I started jumping in 1968 altimeters were optional. My first 35 off student status FFs were made without one. I had little money and preferred to spend it on jumps rather than optional gear.

We were instructed to count out seconds. If you exited at 12.5 you counted to 60. If you lost track of the count, pull. Worked OK.

Back then cheap altimeters were the size and weight of small soup cans. They resided on top of your belly reserve where they could re-arrrange your face in a slammer opening.

Funny thing about AADs. When I started in 68 they were seen as student safety devices, used only during training. I don't recall seeing any experienced jumpers wearing them.

Then the Sentinel MK 2000 came out and was marketed to experienced jumpers as well as students. I bought one ($125 new). I was teased a lot by other jumpers for wearing a "sissy box".

Once the Cypres came out and could be completely concealed from exterior view, sales to experienced jumpers soared. No visible evidence of a "sissy box". Gradually AADs lost their stigma and now there is no shame in wearing one.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

BillyVance

Yeah... when cars look like ants, PULL!!

You know you're in trouble when you can see all the people on the ground looking up at you.

And you're really, REALLY in trouble when all the people that owe you money start smiling. :S:D

muff528

***...I learned that if I can correctly identify my truck in the parking lot, it's roughly time to pull...

Boy! It'd be a bad day if everyone drove a truck like yours to the DZ !

You'd have to get low enough to read the license plates!

:D:D

I'll aim for my riggers truck. ;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message