MEMary

lesson plans and thanks

Hi all,

Am new to skydiving with three tandems in the Northeast (SkyDive NE and Pepperell). Would love to add the parachute as a lesson on simple machines in my 8th grade classroom.

Before I "reinvent the wheel", are there any good, existing plans someone can send? The goal is for my students to create a working model by the unit end.

On a personal note, I've been so impressed with the enthusiasm and genuine care that tandem instructors show. Based on their attitudes toward the sport, I hope to begin my A license next year down in Z-hills.

Thanks in advance,
Mary

Also - Maybe include a trip to a wind tunnel or at least educate the kids that it is available to experience flying like a Hawk in a dive. :)

I didn't find thwem until age 65 and sure wish I would have found them sooner.

For kids it can be leverage for a teacher to explain why they need to do good in school and get a good career so they can AFFORD to fly like a Hawk. :)

If there is a iFly wind tunnel close by, they have a STEM class available for school children. I occasionally teach those classes at iFlySeattle. There's classroom time, some cool science experiments we do in the wind tunnel, and then the kids all get a 1 minute flight in the tunnel. It's a great way to let them experience "skydiving".

Plus the above posts about making toy parachutes, etc. are very good. B|

John Kallend who is a university professor (maybe retired now) has a parachuting simulator that I think he used for Physics? He is on here, not sure anymore of his screenname but his name is John Kallend. You may want to look him up.
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

NoShitThereIWas

John Kallend who is a university professor (maybe retired now) has a parachuting simulator that I think he used for Physics? He is on here, not sure anymore of his screenname but his name is John Kallend. You may want to look him up.

But once you do, you'll never get him to stop talking about some 45 degree something or other.

:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun