ryoder

"In fact, some say you can almost taste the bush"

Because alcohol is definitely one of those things people associate with young impressionable children.

FFS, anyone old enough to understand that joke should understand THE JOKE.

Anyone who would need to be sheltered from such racy humor wouldn't get the joke to begin with.

Stuff like this is silly.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

headoverheels

I guess she could have sniffed it, and said...

Working a powerhouse job back when Bush was in office we had this amazon welder chick. Good looking but of the other persuasion. Clocking out looked at her lunchbox and the bumper sticker said "the only bush I love is my own". Chick had arms as big as my legs. Wasn't going there.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

More silly is that they thought the joke was a good idea in the first place. Marketing to a majority female customer base? Lets shoehorn in a bad sexual pun about women! Genius.

It's not racy, it's hackneyed and lazy. Wanna be really risque in your marketing? Make a dick joke.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

More silly is that they thought the joke was a good idea in the first place.

The free market of ideas would deal with that. The public could decide it's funny or not and whether it's good marketing or not.

Questionable marketing isn't the issue here though. It's the idea somebody in government knows what is or isn't allowed to be used even if it's subtextual as opposed to overt.
quade -

quade

***More silly is that they thought the joke was a good idea in the first place.

The free market of ideas would deal with that. The public could decide it's funny or not and whether it's good marketing or not.

Questionable marketing isn't the issue here though. It's the idea somebody in government knows what is or isn't allowed to be used even if it's subtextual as opposed to overt.

Ever stop and think they knew it was a bad idea, it would get banned, which would get people talking about it? :P

Doesn't matter if they're for it or against it, any discussion is free publicity.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

The free market of ideas would deal with that.

It hasn't yet.

Wow. I had no idea that any event coud only ever represent one issue, but I see now that you're right. The only possible discussion that applies to this advert is censorship. There are no other social issues involved whatsoever. So glad you're here to clear that up.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Freedom of speech is, in fact, THE central issue being discussed here.

It doesn't matter what you, me, or any other individual thinks about the ad, THE issue is is whether the advertiser should be allowed the freedom to express it.

Everything else takes care of itself.
quade -

quade

It doesn't matter what you, me, or any other individual thinks about the ad, THE issue is is whether the advertiser should be allowed the freedom to express it.

Everything else takes care of itself.

I grew up in the 60's and 70's. Lots of censorship, couldn't say a quarter of the stuff that's routinely said on TV now. And with cable? There are no limits, I feel. I may be nostalgic for the good old days, even though I feel I'm not a prude. But, although I weep for polite society's decline, the world hasn't fallen apart because of a few dirty words and some double entendres. Freedom of speech means occasionally hearing things that offend you. :)

jakee

It's not racy, it's hackneyed and lazy. Wanna be really risque in your marketing? Make a dick joke.

Aspercream had one a couple years back that lasted on TV only about a month. Tagline was, "you bet your sweet Aspercream!"
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

TriGirl

Aspercream had one a couple years back that lasted on TV only about a month. Tagline was, "you bet your sweet Aspercream!"

That's an ass joke that would've worked much better for hemorrhoid treatment. In any event, I still think it was much better than the dick 'n bush ads.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

Free Speech has nothing to do with this.

They are free to use the slogan. They can tell everybody they meet. However the medium they wanted to communicate on is regulated for content. Long been established that isn't a restriction on free speech.

SkyDekker

Free Speech has nothing to do with this.

They are free to use the slogan. They can tell everybody they meet. However the medium they wanted to communicate on is regulated for content. Long been established that isn't a restriction on free speech.

Maybe in your country. In the US this sort of government action would be called censorship and an abridgment of Freedom of Speech. There is NOTHING in the advertisement that is against the US rules. Innuendo is pretty damn well protected.

That said, your country is listed as Canada which has far more lax rules than the US.
quade -

Amazon

******I was just going to say they pulled it because it so outdated.
Really?? It's 2015, no hair below the eyebrows.

I just had a funny mental image of the hair on your head. If you wear your hair up, it must look really strange. :P

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/c2/81/d8/c281d8f9f61a853a0a424ab53e3eb867.jpg:ph34r:
You nailed it! :D
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9