Twoply

Need opinions from pickup truck drivers

Hey all!

This is a picture my passenger took right after a ladder fell out of this guy's truck. I pulled up next to him and warned him about his open tailgate. Having driven a truck my whole life, I know he cant see the tailgate is down with the toolbox in the way.

Embarrassing as it is, I've left my tailgate down a few times and I have 8 other pictures of tailgates down with tools/ cargo almost falling out.

I spent some time and energy and got a patent on a dashboard warning light that is designed to alert a pickup truck user that the tailgate is not closed, preventing items from falling out of the bed.

I'd like to get some raw data for my presentation, so If you have driven a pickup truck and used it to haul cargo, please take a moment to answer a 10 question survey.

I'd appreciate it!

Mike

https://survey.zohopublic.com/zs/KpiQkq

Phillbo

Tailgate down and tool box open.... I doubt a light on the dash would help that guy :S

+1

I have had pickups for many years... bought my first new one in 1976..and just bought a new one last year. I have yet to leave a tailgate down.. EVER.

I agree that it would be a completely absent minded thing to do.

But I also look at it from an employer's standpoint. If my vehicles were equipped with this feature, then maybe it would stop one of my workers from leaving the tailgate down and not spilling all the contents of the truck's bed onto the road.

Employees make mistakes and you can't fire everyone.

Hey Jerry!

I'm thinking the manufacturers will simply add a "tailgate open" indicator right next to the "driver door ajar" indicator.

I can't leave mine down, ever.
Too much risk of being stolen for the camera in it, and the locking cover latches to the tailgate and also locks to it.

Hi normiss,

I'm thinking the manufacturers will simply add a "tailgate open" indicator right next to the "driver door ajar" indicator.

And I agree; that is the easy part. The hard part is the sensor/sending unit & the associated wiring. This is what drives the price up and the 'need' down.

Jerry Baumchen

I think given how much expensive tech is in the tailgate these days, and the number of tailgate thefts increasing say we do need or want it.
All that's needed is a contact switch, plenty of wiring already there too.
B|
Just what we need, another "DING!" sound.
:D

I think it ought to be hooked to the headrest, so that instead of a DING, it can simply administer a dope slap.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

normiss

B|
Just what we need, another "DING!" sound.
:D

on my truck it has an idiot light and ding. For low washer fluid.:S really low washer fluid is such a problem in need that
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

wmw999

I think it ought to be hooked to the headrest, so that instead of a DING, it can simply administer a dope slap.

Wendy P.

I think that idea would get the Click & Clack seal of approval.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

keithbar

on my truck it has an idiot light and ding. For low washer fluid.:S really low washer fluid is such a problem in need that

Yeah, ridiculous. But people are so dumbed-down now about cars, that they aren't expected to be capable of maintaining them by themselves any more.

For example. I took my 14 year old truck with 230,000 miles on it, in for an oil change at Firestone. They noticed it dripping a little oil when they put it up on the rack. Yeah, it's old, it does that right after you turn it off. They refused to change the oil for me!

They said that my truck could run out of oil out on the road somewhere, and that I would blame them since they touched it last. And that they couldn't accept that liability. Really?

I explained that I check the level frequently, know what the loss rate is, and keep it topped up. No matter, they wouldn't do the oil change. It's now corporate policy that vehicle owners can't be expected to check their own fluid levels anymore...

And it's now my personal policy that Firestone won't be getting any more of my business.

ryoder

***I think it ought to be hooked to the headrest, so that instead of a DING, it can simply administer a dope slap.

Wendy P.

I think that idea would the the Click & Clack seal of approval.:D

There is a whole raft of people in a HUFF because they dont get that reference :D:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Squeak

******I think it ought to be hooked to the headrest, so that instead of a DING, it can simply administer a dope slap.

Wendy P.

I think that idea would the the Click & Clack seal of approval.:D

There is a whole raft of people in a HUFF because they dont get that reference :D:D:D:D

I miss Click & Clack....

On my new Chevy Colorado, I couldn't possibly leave the tail gait down. The "backup camera" is mounted in the tail gait. I wouldn't even be able to back it out of the driveway. :S
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

ShortStack

[quote f. They refused to change the oil for me! .

They said that my truck could run out of oil out on the road somewhere, and that I would blame them since they touched it last. And that they couldn't accept that liability. Really?
And it's now my personal policy that Firestone won't be getting any more of my business.

that is crazy. . Shit it might just happen to me at valvoline. Next time my ram
1500 is a 98 that leaks oil. Tranny and power steering fluid :P haven't brought it in there for a year or more have been changing it my own.;)
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Well crap!!
Even after reading everyone else I'll admit I've done it.
I also forgot about a crate I left on the tailgate until someone flashed lights behind me and beeped. Was really surprised the thing didn't fall off.
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

promise5

Well crap!!
Even after reading everyone else I'll admit I've done it.
I also forgot about a crate I left on the tailgate until someone flashed lights behind me and beeped. Was really surprised the thing didn't fall off.

It's ok Andrea.... you're blonde.

ShortStack

*** on my truck it has an idiot light and ding. For low washer fluid.:S really low washer fluid is such a problem in need that

Yeah, ridiculous. But people are so dumbed-down now about cars, that they aren't expected to be capable of maintaining them by themselves any more.

For example. I took my 14 year old truck with 230,000 miles on it, in for an oil change at Firestone. They noticed it dripping a little oil when they put it up on the rack. Yeah, it's old, it does that right after you turn it off. They refused to change the oil for me!

I explained that I check the level frequently, know what the loss rate is, and keep it topped up. No matter, they wouldn't do the oil change. It's now corporate policy that vehicle owners can't be expected to check their own fluid levels anymore...

Sad times. My 67 Chevelle burns it at about 1qt per 300 miles or so. Then again, I ain't letting anyone touch her but myself and trusted mechanics (as in I know them, and their skills personally).

Problem is, IMHO, technology. People these days are so used to using an app to solve a problem. I could go on as to how this is hurting the country as a whole, but that's a discussion that would end up in SC.[:/]
Muff #5048

It's not one of my proudest moments either.

But I was loading up the ladder rack and standing on the tailgate to tie everything down.

I was in a hurry to get home and watch the kids so my wife could leave and I just forgot it was down. I lost about $2000 of tools on the road including a new rotary laser and transit.

I had to take a negative and try to make a positive of it.