Zep

Pumpkin pie

Yesterday I made my very first pumpkin pie, I've never had it before
and where I live nobody has ever heard of it.

So the question is how would you describe the taste given that it tastes nothing like pumpkin
also the texture of the filling, how should it be.

Gone fishing

Custardy? That's the best descriptor I can come up with for a good pumpkin pie filling texture. As for taste, it should just be a blend of spices that fall on the savory end of sweet (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice).

I'm more of a pumpkin cheesecake fan myself. :)

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Zep

So the question is how would you describe the taste given that it tastes nothing like pumpkin

Tastes a lot like sweet potato pie to me, but they probably never heard of that, either. :D

Zep

Tell them it tastes nothing like sewer rat, no matter what Samuel L Jackson may say.:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

muff528

Tastes a lot like sweet potato pie to me, but they probably never heard of that, either. :D

Yeah, I think if you gave me a blind taste test of sweet potato pie against pumpkin pie I'd have a tough time telling the difference. :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Agree with NWFlyer -- the flavor is more of the spices used than of actual pumpkin (although IMO you should be able to taste pumpkin as well).

As for texture -- I like mine pretty firm, like a nice flan.

Incidentally, the "pumpkin spice" that is so popular for every type of food or treat around this time of year is not spiced pumpkin (i.e. pumpkin flavor and with spices), but the spices that go into a pumpkin pie filling.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

Sounds like I got the taste about right. The filling came out more like a sponge
cake than custard that may be down to using evaporated milk and using a mixer
(air bubbles) next one I'll stir by hand.

I got a varied reaction from the people that tried it, some liked it, others
wouldn't go for a second spoon. I actually like it.

These are the ingredients I used

2 eggs plus the yolk of a third egg
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamon
1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest
2 cups of pumpkin pulp purée
1 12 oz. can of evaporated milk

Gone fishing

promise5

Sweet potatoe pie is a thousand times better!!
Pumpkin? [:/]

In Canada there is pumpkin pie, usually with whipped cream. Sweet potato pie? Really? People make pie out of that? Is "sweet potato" a euphemism for something, say, a little risque?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Any of pumpkin, sweet potato, or squash pie are the perfect breakfast food. Don't make them too sweet, and use fresh ingredients (Not the can!).

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

promise5

Eyeroll!! Nooooo!
Sweet potatoe pie kicks pumpkin pies butt any day of the week!

That's going on my list, right after Key lime pie.

Here sweet potato is called Boniato, I think it's the one that looks like a turd:)

Gone fishing

JohnMitchell

***Ask Valinda Mitchell she's pretty much the Pie mistress here.:)

Yeah, she starts with a raw pumpkin and cooks it from scratch. Hers is the only pumpkin pie I eat. :)I've heard you can't make a pie that's worth a darn out of the great big ones that make Jack O'Lanterns out of
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

keithbar

I've heard that you need to use a certain type of pumpkin they're smaller and bred just for baking
I've heard you can't make a pie that's worth a darn out of the great big ones that make Jack O'Lanterns out of

The small sugar pumpkins make a better pie, I think. But the Jack O'Lantern pumpkins do well too. I'm not sure if she changes the recipe between the two types.

This was the first year in a long time that I didn't have a jack-o-lantern and make a pie out of the innards. I usually toast the pumpkin seeds, too. Canned is easier, but it seems to come out more mealy and less tender.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

This was the first year in a long time that I didn't have a jack-o-lantern and make a pie out of the innards. I usually toast the pumpkin seeds, too. Canned is easier, but it seems to come out more mealy and less tender.

I did the lazy thing this year. Pumpkin on the porch for decoration but didn't carve it. We did quarter it next week and Valinda processed it all into cooked pumpkin puree, stored in the freezer. She also made a couple of pies and some pumpkin soup.

And the toasted seeds were delicious. :)

headoverheels

Pumpkin pie is the epitome of mediocrity -- the best pumpkin pie you've ever had isn't all that much better than the worst.

:D:D:D I have never had pumpkin pie but have always imagined it would taste like you describe!!! :ph34r:

I am willing to believe, however, that V is capable of making it delicious anyway!

John - any chance your gorgeous half could share her secrets? By PM will do if it is really top secret - I promise not to tell :P:ph34r:
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Nataly

***Pumpkin pie is the epitome of mediocrity -- the best pumpkin pie you've ever had isn't all that much better than the worst.

:D:D:D I have never had pumpkin pie but have always imagined it would taste like you describe!!! :ph34r:

I am willing to believe, however, that V is capable of making it delicious anyway!

John - any chance your gorgeous half could share her secrets? By PM will do if it is really top secret - I promise not to tell :P:ph34r:

I don't think the pumpkin itself does much but carry the flavours (Canadian spelling) of the spices used. I don't bake, but it's heavy on nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves. And some others I'm sure. If you looked at it and had no idea what it was and tasted it, I doubt that you would guess pumpkin.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Just to make it abundantly clear, "pumpkin pie spice" is a common spice blend

Wendy P.