dzdiva

Your favorite Christmas memory

I have so many fond memories of Christmas growing up.:))

My favorite has to be at my aunt's house where we gathered each year on Christmas Eve. The smell of ham and cookies filled the house. Coming in the door we were hit with the warmth of the kitchen and all the love that was in the house that night.:)

I was probably 7 or so and my aunt had arranged for Santa to make a visit.:oB| Imagine 26 kids seeing him up close and personal. The adjective to describe the scene escapes me at the moment.:D I was a little shy because here was the Big Guy....at our holiday gathering! My dad had to walk me over to him...(I never feared anything with my dad at my side!) Santa shook my hand and said my name...that was it! The flood gates open and I rattled off everything I wanted!! My dad was probably sorry he took me over to him because I know I chattered all the way home that night!:D:D

While you're out running around, getting pissed at the person who took the parking spot you wanted just remember what this time of year is all about. You have the most precious gift all year round...family and friends.:)
Happy Holidays everyone!:)
Much love to all,

Dz
"It's not just a daydream if you choose to make it your life..."

dzdiva

I have so many fond memories of Christmas growing up.:))

My favorite has to be at my aunt's house where we gathered each year on Christmas Eve. The smell of ham and cookies filled the house. Coming in the door we were hit with the warmth of the kitchen and all the love that was in the house that night.:)

I was probably 7 or so and my aunt had arranged for Santa to make a visit.:oB| Imagine 26 kids seeing him up close and personal. The adjective to describe the scene escapes me at the moment.:D I was a little shy because here was the Big Guy....at our holiday gathering! My dad had to walk me over to him...(I never feared anything with my dad at my side!) Santa shook my hand and said my name...that was it! The flood gates open and I rattled off everything I wanted!! My dad was probably sorry he took me over to him because I know I chattered all the way home that night!:D:D

While you're out running around, getting pissed at the person who took the parking spot you wanted just remember what this time of year is all about. You have the most precious gift all year round...family and friends.:)
Happy Holidays everyone!:)
Much love to all,

Dz

bah Humbug
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

The Christmas we were 12 and my twin and I finally got horses of our own. We always has horses just not one that was completely our own.

The story is :The week before Christmas our dad told us we were no longer allowed in the one horses barn, that our dad had picked up some really wild steers and we're keeping them in that barn for the time being to calm them down. Christmas morning as we opened one gift then another it was all for taking care of and riding horses, a lot we already had and didn't understand why we were getting our very own. Mom and dad always had us use theirs.
It was after we open Ed the last one that they told us to go out and feed the steers before we ate breakfast.

I'm sure you can imagine how happy we were to find we each had our very own horse. Mine was a paint and my twin had a quarter horse, exactly what we each had always wanted !!
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

I'm not sure I have a favorite; frankly, I love the season, because it's about who you're spending it with, not what you're getting. Eating at McDonald's with Sunshine during an Eloy boogie was cool, as was singing in the church in Lahaina, Maui once, as was just sitting around with family, as was the annual celebration one aunt held a few days after Christmas so that everyone could come at once to her place, instead of having to juggle in-laws, grandparents, and everyone else.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'd have to add making a gingerbread house to that. I started when my son was little, and we made one every year until he aged out. But then there were the (Jewish) neighbor's kids, ny nephews, my nieces -- if there are kids and time around at Christmas, a gingerbread house is likely to happen.

They're easy; I highly recommend it as a bonding exercise.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

We were poor. So my dad would wait till the day before Xmas to get a tree. He would go to the lot and get the biggest tree they had, 20-25 feet. One for a church or some big building. They would sell it for a song. We'd drag it home. My dad would cut off the top to use as our tree. Then make a stand out of 2x4's. He'd cut the branches off the lower part of the tree. He would use those branches to fill in thin spots on the part we kept and we'd always have to tie the tree to the wall so it wouldn't tip over. The rest of the branches went under the kitchen sink. Every time you came in the house you'd stomp on the branches so the house smelled great.
When xmas was over all the kids would haul the trees to the local play grounds to use as a wind break. The city would flood the play grounds to make ice rinks.
I had skates from my uncle that I had to wear 2-3 pair of socks and stuff the toes full of newspaper to fit. We'd play this game where one kid was it. Everyone else would charge across the play ground from one side to the other. If the "it" guy got you, then the two of you were out there for the next pass. The last person caught was "it" on the next game.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316