bdenny20

Frontier Airlines

I'm flying down to Orlando in a week via Frontier Airlines for Jumpcation. It seems when people ask about whether or not they would be allowed take their rigs onboard as carry on, the general consensus was that the airlines did not have a problem with it.

Frontier seems to explicitly state that rigs with an AAD installed can only be checked. It goes without saying that that is not the preferable route. Does anyone have first hand experience flying with Frontier?

That's not their department. The only place anyone would even know there's an AAD there would be the TSA checkpoint, and all the TSA guys I ran into were quite familiar with the layout of a skydiving rig. The AAD I had in there wasn't a problem for them at all. They just swabbed it down for explosives and I was through the security checkpoint in a jiffy.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

FlyingRhenquest

That's not their department. The only place anyone would even know there's an AAD there would be the TSA checkpoint, and all the TSA guys I ran into were quite familiar with the layout of a skydiving rig. The AAD I had in there wasn't a problem for them at all. They just swabbed it down for explosives and I was through the security checkpoint in a jiffy.

It's very much their department. The airline can stipulate what they allow onboard no problems and the PIC can also dictate what's allowed on.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

It's very much their department. The airline can stipulate what they allow onboard no problems and the PIC can also dictate what's allowed on.

Maybe so. But the airline does not do their own check. TSA does it. So how do they know what is in your carry on bag?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Or UPS or FedEx it to the hotel or DZ. Call them and tell them to expect it and hold it for you.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

I once flew from Seattle to Ontario CA with my rig as carry-on, literally. I didn't use any form of bag, just tossed it over my shoulder and walked on the airplane. As I was boarding, one of the pilots was standing, watching the passengers board. He looked at me and asked, "Is that a parachute?" Being a cocky jerk I answered, "Yes, and I'm on an exit row, so you better do a good job!" Upon landing, I again tossed it on my shoulder and waited to deplane. As I got to the front, the same pilot was there, looked at me and said, "Oh, still with us, huh?" Touche....

Jack Gramley
Computer Consultant

Hey, they always ask me if I'm getting out early, and I always tell them that it's my policy to avoid exiting aircraft in which there is a pretty good probability of getting sucked into an engine on your way down!

I'll tell you what, though, after a couple years of jump planes, coach is pretty nice. I'm like "You mean I get cushions AND I don't have to be jammed into a random wingsuiter's crotch on the climb to altitude?" (The wingsuiter said you have to, or the plane will not be loaded correctly and go crashing into the ground.)
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

FlyingRhenquest

Hey, they always ask me if I'm getting out early, and I always tell them that it's my policy to avoid exiting aircraft in which there is a pretty good probability of getting sucked into an engine on your way down!

I'll tell you what, though, after a couple years of jump planes, coach is pretty nice. I'm like "You mean I get cushions AND I don't have to be jammed into a random wingsuiter's crotch on the climb to altitude?" (The wingsuiter said you have to, or the plane will not be loaded correctly and go crashing into the ground.)

Flew southwest once, with rig on shoulder.
In line to board a guy taps my shoulder and asks if that was what he thought that was, I said yes, and then he asked if I knew something he didn't, I said yes, I know the pilot!he was like >:(. I was like :D:P, nah, just going to a different place to jump.

As I crossed the threshold, I turned right, to go to my seat, and I'll be damned, he turned left into the cockpit.:oB|

Oops.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun