keithbar

Home dentistry / Dental epoxy??

anyone done it ?seen it done ? got a link to a YouTube video of it being done? is there an epoxy putty that you could stick in a hole in your tooth and have it harden and not poison you ??? seems like it might be too much to ask for.:$[:/]
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

That was my first thought . But i was concerned about the out gassing during the cureing process. :P plus that's a bit more liquid that I would think would be ideal . I was thinking more along the lines of a non-toxic version of the two-part putty you see for plumbing repairs.:P

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Chiquita

I have used something similar to this in the past as a temporary fix. Not sure if this is the same brand that I used but it looks similar.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/dentemp-os-dental-filling--cap-repair-material/ID=prod2339-product

Dam! Wish I'd seen this a couple of weeks ago ...before my son's $1200 root canal (+ drugs). :P

keithbar

That was my first thought . But i was concerned about the out gassing during the cureing process. :P plus that's a bit more liquid that I would think would be ideal . I was thinking more along the lines of a non-toxic version of the two-part putty you see for plumbing repairs.:P

Besides toxicity, I'd be sure that whatever I used doesn't expand while curing after packing the hole with it.

ramalamading

In the meantime, Coca-cola will kill pain from a toothache. I've been working out in the field before with a toothache, and taking a small sip of Coke and holding it over the bad tooth will numb the pain. Repeat as necessary.

Because there's nothing like a sugary drink to accelerate that decay!:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

My dentistry correspondence course hasn't gotten to that yet. But I'll let you know when it does. ;)

Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

I love people that do this stuff!

Many times, I get to "unglue" your lip or cheek from your "filling." Not an easy task all the time, especially since behind my mask I am giggling to myself, its really hard to keep my hands steady....

Also, I get the task of drilling out some goo that melts/fuses/smells like barf as it comes apart. Often on more than the affected tooth.

The whole time I am working, I know the patient has more faith in what he (rarely is this a she, very rarely!) reads on the internet from anybody else than from a dedicated professional who knows what can be done properly.

Temporary fixes at the pharmacy are just that- A temporary fix for the weekend/holiday/overnight. They are not intended to replace dentistry or getting a real diagnosis/fix.

But what do I know....

PS- and the number of people who call me after they have glued themselves to their dentures is staggering! With Krazy Glue!
Jump more, post less!

I clearly said as a temporary fix. I have never and would never suggest using that as a permanent fix. If you have a filling fall out, have a lot of pain or sensitivity to the point of not being able to eat anything, and cannot get to a dentist immediately, there is nothing wrong with using a proper temporary filling. The dentist that I was going to at the time has no issues and said it was a good thing to use temporarily. Key word being temporarily.

Several people do try to use it as a permanent fix to either save money, which doesn't work because it usually causes more problems in the long run which then costs more, or to just avoid going to the dentist period, which again doesn't work and usually causes more problems and pain in the long run.

Using super glue on a denture or partial takes a special kind of stupid, especially to reattach it to your mouth. But then again a lady once used an avocado pit as a diaphragm (a friend of mine that worked in an ER told about that one years ago) because it was the same width as the one she misplaced :S

"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity"

If you are needing dental work and don't have the money to get it done now from your dentist, you can try to find a dental college near you. The cost in their clinic is generally about half (or less) of standard rates, though it does take a lot more time for each appointment as all the work has to be checked by the dentist on staff, pretty much at every step. But sometimes you can get lucky and get some free work done, depending on what you need done and what they need to do for their practice boards and such.
"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity"