ntrprnr

GoPro just got their butt kicked...

Companies can have ridiculous amount of success and growth when they first introduce something as revolutionary as the GoPro. However, at some point, market saturation sets in. Further growth has diminishing returns. You can only sell so many action cameras. At some point, pretty much all the people who would want one, has one. Then, competition also starts to catch up further limiting growth.

I'm amazed how often this sort of thing happens.

What GoPro needs is another innovative product line. You can only go so far doing one thing.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Couldn't agree more. Remember when Starbucks got into the "content" game? Ugh. Was like licking a fish.

quade

Companies can have ridiculous amount of success and growth when they first introduce something as revolutionary as the GoPro. However, at some point, market saturation sets in. Further growth has diminishing returns. You can only sell so many action cameras. At some point, pretty much all the people who would want one, has one. Then, competition also starts to catch up further limiting growth.

What GoPro needs is another innovative product line. You can only go so far doing one thing.

They have been stuck in the vicious "tech cycle" where lot's of consumers such as myself get tired of buying a device, only to have it be obsolete in a very short time. Big surprise most of their consumers aren't interested in running out every year or two to buy a new 4-500 camera when they just bought one a year before, that which BTW your screen, batteries, etc won't work on. It's sucky because as a business you have to keep on the leading edge of the available technology. Think about it, 4-500 buys you some other great gear in your sport, running out to buy another camera that will get you negligible gains in picture quality is not on the top of most people's list. Most people buying action cams just want decent quality video to "prove they were there" and the market is pretty much saturated. They aren't wooo-ed by 4k and such.

kawisixer01

They have been stuck in the vicious "tech cycle" where lot's of consumers such as myself get tired of buying a device, only to have it be obsolete in a very short time. Big surprise most of their consumers aren't interested in running out every year or two to buy a new 4-500 camera when they just bought one a year before, that which BTW your screen, batteries, etc won't work on. It's sucky because as a business you have to keep on the leading edge of the available technology. Think about it, 4-500 buys you some other great gear in your sport, running out to buy another camera that will get you negligible gains in picture quality is not on the top of most people's list. Most people buying action cams just want decent quality video to "prove they were there" and the market is pretty much saturated. They aren't wooo-ed by 4k and such.

Thats it - it was a big jump from tape to Digital HD, but the gains are getting progressively smaller, and there are some other cams coming out that rival it. I think gopro still have the edge on accessories, but thats about it.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

quade

Yep, I have a 3-Black that I use on my drone and for scuba, with no intention of buying another one until this one poops out.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

BillyVance

Me either. Still have my Sony PC101. B|

I've been cleaning out clutter and finally decided it was time to pitch the PC5, but first I checked eBay to see if anyone was buying them. Look what someone paid me:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131697759198

I was sooo tempted to send the guy a note and ask: "Why the heck do you want a camera that only does 480 resolution, is mechanically complex as hell, and likewise complex to operate???"
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

BillyVance

Me either. Still have my Sony PC101. B|

you want a spare? I have one with several extra batteries I'll ship to you for free
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

ryoder

I was sooo tempted to send the guy a note and ask: "Why the heck do you want a camera that only does 480 resolution, is mechanically complex as hell, and likewise complex to operate???"

Take the money and run. :D

Hey, ask him if he wants a Sony PC-1 and a Cookie box thrown in. ;)

quade

You can only sell so many action cameras. At some point, pretty much all the people who would want one, has one. Then, competition also starts to catch up further limiting growth.

I had the original Hero. Then Vskydiver got one, but gave it to our son.

This year she picked up a Hero3 silver at Costco. I lost it on a jump over the North Shore. . .:S[:/]

So we picked up 2 more, his and hers, at Costco when they were another $30 off. So they've sold 3 units to our household in the past 6 months. Glad we could help.

But you're right. The market is saturated and their product has a lot of competition. I also think the price is a bit high. :P