WatchYourStep

Clogged Sink...

When I run the garbage disposal it goes down and comes up in the opposite sink. When I turn the water off it goes back down and comes back up the other side.

I purchased a sink plunger and followed the directions, with no luck.

Any ideas on what to do next before calling a plumber?

Here is a picture of the plumbing on the underside....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6ZkLEWrwdH6MDBJSnV3akV5UkVzVW84c1oxdmJfM0xNekhN/view?usp=sharing

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

Hi Watch,

comes up in the opposite sink

Mine does that also; but, only occasionally.

Does yours do it everytime? It is annoying but is not uncommon.

I also plumbed mine with two P-traps which is supposed to help with this problem.

You pour some drain cleaner down both drains and see if it helps.

Jerry Baumchen

Looks like you have an air gap to connect your dish washer. Any pressure created by the plunger will leak through the air gap.

I never suggest using drain cleaner through a garbage disposal.

Your best bet is to remove the p-traps & trap arm and use a 1/4" or 3/8' diameter snake to clean the drain pipe. It will be cheaper to buy the snake than pay for the plumber to do the same thing. Just make sure you lay down a drop cloth when you pull the snake out of the pipe.

Also have new gaskets/slip joint washers when you reconnect the trap arm and p-traps. Reusing old ones often will have them leak.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

What monky said, plus never ever put anything down the garbage disposal. A trivial amount of bits is fine, but don't use it to grind up anything. Also, nothing that isn't light enough to float along the water stream should go down a drain. Coffee grounds shouldn't go in a sink, and tampons shouldn't go in a toilet.

Sometimes it is easier (or only possible) to snake out a drain from the roof, through the riser pipe that is above each drain point on the sewer side of the trap.

I had a clogged sink several years ago, no garbage disposal under the sink, septic tank set-up. I did the snake thing to no avail. So I went down into the crawl space to where the drain comes down from the sink and opened the clean-out plug... and looked at what looked like a 95% blockage. And it was hard stuff. I guessed it was 35 years worth of cleaning food off dishes and washing it down there. I ended up replacing 30 feet of that drain pipe with all new. Did all the work myself. Also bought drain sieves to trap any food particles for both sinks.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

jumpwally

..........get a gallon of distilled white vinegar,,pour it in slowly,,,,,about 2 beers worth each time....better than Liquid Plumber

This . . . And it is even better when you run it through the coffee maker first. Two birds and all that.

There are special disposal cleaners.

Also there are organic cleaners that will be less caustic for your disposal.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun